Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:31 PM

773 posts, read 503,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
One of the wrongs. "Faith" should be kept out of politics, no matter who is in office.
So why does the left not have an issue with Obama's reliance on faith for decision making?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
I read so many posts and see so many reports where liberals make fun of and have absolute hatred of religious politicians. I am not religious myself, but I find that attitude disgusting.

My question is, why don't liberals do the same thing to Obama? He is a very religious man.
Nope, I just hate it when they use their religion to force their morals down my throat.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
I read so many posts and see so many reports where liberals make fun of and have absolute hatred of religious politicians. I am not religious myself, but I find that attitude disgusting.

My question is, why don't liberals do the same thing to Obama? He is a very religious man.
I don't hate religious politicians.

That's stupid.

I hate religious people who use said religion to discriminate against others.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:39 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
Yet faith is a huge part of Obama's decision making. Which begs the question why some people are fine when Obama relies on his faith as much as he does, yet take issue with it when his opponents rely on faith as well.
Beliefs will influence every decision you make, to some degree. I just believe that political decisions should be made rationally and logically, not because your god says its right.

For the most part, Obama keeps his beliefs private, where they belong. If there was a super-religious liberal, who publicly spouted his beliefs and made me feel as if those beliefs were impacting their policy (hypothetically), I'd be just as ticked off about it.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
For the most part, Obama keeps his beliefs private, where they belong.
WHAT?

I just posted multiple examples of where he did the opposite of that. When I looked into it, I found more than I have time to post. His decision making and policies are heavily influenced by his faith and he has been vocal about it.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
WHAT?

I just posted multiple examples of where he did the opposite of that. When I looked into it, I found more than I have time to post. His decision making and policies are heavily influenced by his faith and he has been vocal about it.

Yes, he has, however, has he ever suggested that being a Christian somehow makes him better than someone who is not?

Has he professed to be the paragon of 'family values' prior to getting caught trying to pick someone up in the mens' room/engaging a 'rent boy'/hiking the Appalachian Trail/paying off his lover's husband...?

Has he wished ill or blamed ill (terrorist attack, natural disaster) on some population of this country as 'divine retribution' or because "God said so"...?

Old 09-01-2011, 04:31 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Its one thing for someone to be religious (which I have no problem with). Its another thing entirely when someone's personal religious views dictate policy.
Well, that's a very interesting comment, because our founders were all very religious people. They prayed regularly, asking God for guidance, and their writings reflect their utter dependence and trust in God.

The work that they did, the writing of our Consitution, and the establishment of our system of justice and our laws, all reflect this as well. In other words, their religous beliefs became the very foundation of of everything they did.

We, today, do not realize the importance of religion in colonial America, and the roll it played in the lives of almost all individuals. In colonial times, even news was delivered through the church, and the churches usually reported on issues of government. Almost everyone attended chuch, and the church acted as the community center.

So much for "separation of church and state", huh? Of course, that isn't in the Constitution either.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, that's a very interesting comment, because our founders were all very religious people. They prayed regularly, asking God for guidance, and their writings reflect their utter dependence and trust in God.
Even if they were the most devout men who ever lived, the fact remains that they gave us a Constitution devoid of any references to a god or to religion, aside from guaranteeing its free exercise and forbidding its legal establishment.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yes, he has, however, has he ever suggested that being a Christian somehow makes him better than someone who is not?

Has he professed to be the paragon of 'family values' prior to getting caught trying to pick someone up in the mens' room/engaging a 'rent boy'/hiking the Appalachian Trail/paying off his lover's husband...?

Has he wished ill or blamed ill (terrorist attack, natural disaster) on some population of this country as 'divine retribution' or because "God said so"...?
With the exception of a few loons, neither has the overwhelming majority of other politicians. It's easy to pick out a couple of nut jobs and then try to try to convince your flock that all the opposition is that way.

That is being dishonest and only serves to play politics at the expense of America. Very shameful.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:

But given your posting history, you clearly hate liberals and Obama. So why do you not accept that some people might hate religious conservatives? They're just behaving in the same way as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies