Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Fertility clinics "dispose of" unused embryos.

Most people donate them or freeze them. I serisouly doubt many unused embryos, of baby making quality, go in the 'disposal'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:38 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Most people donate them or freeze them. I serisouly doubt many unused embryos, of baby making quality, go in the 'disposal'.
50% of people donate them, the rest dispose of or freeze them. Gee, leaving them in a freezer for ever is so much better. There's no easy way around this, it's a very complicated issue for sure.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
Forever? Hardly. They are used within a couple months for unsucessful IVF attempts or within a few years when the couple is ready to have more babies.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
an embryo has the POTENTIAL to become a human being.

an embryo is NOT a human being.

big difference.

study something more than the bible.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
50% of people donate them, the rest dispose of or freeze them. Gee, leaving them in a freezer for ever is so much better. There's no easy way around this, it's a very complicated issue for sure.
Quote:
Forever? Hardly. They are used within a couple months for unsucessful IVF attempts or within a few years when the couple is ready to have more babies.

The have a "shelf life" so to speak. I believe it's about 30 months. My co-worker got "implanted" with her frozen embryo at that point in time (after the embryos had been made), and hers didn't take. Another woman I know had twins and had three left over. Just as they were going to expire, she had them implanted and all three took. She has five kids ~ 2 1/2 years apart! When my friend and I were talking about this I said, "I think I would have probably just let them expire so I wouldn't have to make the decision to destroy them". She agreed.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Selective reduction culls embryos that are not necessarily ones that "failed to take".

Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Selective reduction culls embryos that are not necessarily ones that "failed to take".
True, but that's after they've been implanted.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Those don't fall under the category of unused.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
IVF : Failure & Treatment

When they attempt to implant those embryos and those embryos fail to impant, who gets charged with the multiple homicides? I mean, look....they just killed a lot of people. I'd say put the mom in jail for life. After all, they were OK before they met her, right? Once inside, they didn't stand a chance.

Maybe just manslaughter. See how dumb this line of thought sounds?
If you're murdering people with abortion, then you're murdering people with fertility clinics. Or at least playing dice with God.
No, it is very different: you are comparing abortion with the attempt to help a woman get pregnant, not destroying a baby diliberately. I would have a problem if more than one egg were inplanted and I was carrying 4 or more babies. I don't think I could choose selective reduction. That is when it becomes taking a life.

All you are trying to do is open up a can of worms to try and compare apples and oragnes.

Nita

Old 09-01-2011, 03:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I support a woman's right to choose what to do with her own womb. I don't believe it becomes the U.S. government's when she gets pregnant. I think fertility clinics are OK, too.

I just think it's weird to condemn one for killing embryos and and to be silent on the other... which also kills embryos. Shouldn't pro-life people be condemning them as loudly as abortion clinics? Shouldn't politicians as well? I think it's obvious why they don't (you'd look pretty bad condemning things that could help a lady get pregnant), but still, how strong are their convictions. Or are convictions merely convenient?

P.S. Had a friend that had to get fertility treatments. It's not cheap.
what does it not being cheap have to do with this discussion?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies