Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:27 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,873,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
First of all, anti-IVF activists are not all ignorant of assisted reproductive technology (unless they are of the ultra-religious persuasion). Some are working to protect the health of women from an industry that is based purely on profit (think about egg donation for instance) and has not done enough long-term research. These reproductive technologies can be extremely harmful if misused and has in the past led to deaths, infertility, strokes. Anecdotally a lot of women in breast cancer support groups have undergone IVF or egg donations. Limiting numbers of embryos obtained in one cycle or implanted is common sense for medical safety reasons - even if you might want to get pregnant faster or save money by implanting more, there is an increased risk (medical ethics conflict).
Once again - one does not implant an embryo, one TRANSFERS an embryo. Whether it implants or not is a biological event that may or may not happen.

Well of course reproductive technologies can be harmful if misused. So can every other medical treatment in existence today! So can every single drug. What's your point? My point is that most reproductive endocrinologists are competent, ethical doctors who follow best practice standards, and they are the ONLY people who are expert enough to make a decision about how many embryos to transfer in an IVF cycle. Egg donation is not extremely dangerous, my goodness. There are always risks in any medical procedure and there are always risks whenever anesthesia is used. Egg donors are limited to six cycles, then they must retire. Most women who do IVF using their own ova do more than six cycles. There have been numerous studies trying to determine if gonadotropins are linked to female cancers, and no substantial link has been found. Women do not transfer more embryos because they want to get pregnant faster or because they want to save money!!! Good Lord! I really don't have time to explain to you in detail why you are so wrong about this. Let's just say you are not a doctor, nor do you have any personal or professional experience with assisted reproductive technologies, and you clearly don't really know what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,782,912 times
Paul Ryan would ban fertility clinics.

In January last year, Ryan co-sponsored the Sanctity of Human Life Act, a national ''personhood'' bill that would give fertilised eggs full constitutional rights, thereby banning abortion, even when a woman has become pregnant as a result of rape or incest, or when carrying the pregnancy to term would kill her. It would also ban the pill and the IUD, as well as in vitro fertilisation, which involves the destruction of fertilised eggs. Personhood used to live at the fringes of the American anti-abortion movement, but now, the Republican presidential and vice-presidential nominees are both for it.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/opin...#ixzz247gcSB7c

Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,314,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
mr juoshua is right. in the case of fertility clinics they are trying to bring life forward, not end it. unfortunately sometimes an implantation does not succeed, that is a fact of life. same with natural pregnancies, sometimes women miscarry, are you going to suggest that they need to face criminal charges also? how far do you want to take this?
But they DO end it - all the time. Implanted embryos DIE more often than not and IVF doctors implant with that knowledge.

If the deliberate death of thriving embryo is murder, then fertility clinics are guilty of mass murder on a daily basis.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:18 PM

52,219 posts, read 33,975,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Paul Ryan would ban fertility clinics.
in what crazy wackadoodle scenario does a vice president have the power to do this?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:19 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,763,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
My wife and I thought we'd have to do infertility treatments when we had our kids. We drew the line at that because we didn't want to be responsible for embryos that died, or for embryos that were destroyed when we got pregnant and didn't want any more.
...No to get all underwear-talky, but... do you have a funeral every time your wife has her period?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,782,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
in what crazy wackadoodle scenario does a vice president have the power to do this?
Your're right. There's no way for a Vice President to ever become President. My bad.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:00 PM

52,219 posts, read 33,975,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Your're right. There's no way for a Vice President to ever become President. My bad.
In what wackadoodle scenario does a president have such authority?

Yeah, your bad all right.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,993,490 times
I didn't read the whole thread and may have even posted in it last year but obviously the reason it's not as big a deal is that nobody had sex, which is the root of all evil I guess.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,421,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
None so don't let them scare you.

Also there is some scientists doing gene therapy. They want to tinker with the kind of children that will be born. Gender, color of eyes, tall and on and on. Hitler and his gang would be so proud. Brave New World is coming and it is scary.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,421,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I didn't read the whole thread and may have even posted in it last year but obviously the reason it's not as big a deal is that nobody had sex, which is the root of all evil I guess.
Now you can't say that. What would those people who say religious nuts don't want anyone to have sex do? I guess they do want people to have sex after all. No test tubes, just your garden variety sex. What do you think about that. Shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies