Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The "point" was the OP is blaming society and "right wing" policies for his affliction and wants that same society to pick up the cost of his care. You will not get any sympathy from me until you have been turned down by every FAMILY MEMBER and CHARITY. You should be a dependent of a family member and not the state.
No, the OP is not blaming 'right wing' politics for his affliction. He's properly blaming them for their lack of empathy in the real world of medical disabilities, a lack of empathy that you so perfectly illustrate in your posts in this thread. Fact: many right wingers do want to take away the safety nets in our society. But many/most people on the left recognize that there is intrinsic and practical value in helping the poor, elderly and disabilities through our tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Voluntary charity is a blessing.
Compulsory charity (slavery) is a curse.

No matter how deserving a recipient is, slavery is not the solution to the ills of mankind. Even when it is part-time slavery, it is still compulsory labor for the benefit of another.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:17 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Voluntary charity is a blessing.
Compulsory charity (slavery) is a curse.

No matter how deserving a recipient is, slavery is not the solution to the ills of mankind. Even when it is part-time slavery, it is still compulsory labor for the benefit of another.
Exactly!

Life is not fair. That's all that can be said. Being a citizen of the United States does not entitle a person to circumvention of life's unfortunate circumstances.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:18 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The "point" was the OP is blaming society and "right wing" policies for his affliction and wants that same society to pick up the cost of his care. You will not get any sympathy from me until you have been turned down by every FAMILY MEMBER and CHARITY. You should be a dependent of a family member and not the state.
What makes you think family can cover the cost of disability? Do you know how much it costs to have to go to sometimes dozens of doctors? Many families, even the richest of families, often can't afford the time, energy, and money that takes. I was a huge burden on my family for years because of my medical problems. I would rather cost millions of people a few cents through being covered through the state than costing a few people millions of dollars. It's a much smaller burden on the state than it is on a family. And when you are disabled, the whole premise of "making it on your own" gets thrown on the window.

A lot of able-bodied people seem to think they are invincible and will always be independent, but that is simply not the case. Disability throws a huge wrench in that whole life plan. If disability hits you, I hope that people will be more compassionate towards you than you are currently being towards the disabled. No one is immune to disability. You could get in a car crash tomorrow and rely on the same federal programs that you criticize now. Your family might not be able to support you because they might be struggling themselves, or the cost of your disability might be simply too much for them to cover. There's a reason those federal programs are in place. Before then, the disabled were put away in institutions or hidden away in basements. Is that really the society you want to return to?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I believe it only goes back 2 years. I read that somewhere. I googled... it is 1 year retroactive.
My bad. I misunderstood that since it took me less than two years to get approved.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Exactly!

Life is not fair. That's all that can be said. Being a citizen of the United States does not entitle a person to circumvention of life's unfortunate circumstances.
Lol. You think getting disability benefits is a total circumvention of unfortunately circumstances? Benefits or no benefits, you're still disabled. And you are also in forced poverty. Benefits makes the unfortunate less fortunate, but they certainly don't completely take away the misfortune.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Exactly!

True, life is not fair. But being a citizen of the United States means we don't turn our disabled out into the streets to beg for quarters and scraps to eat. The way we treat our disabled and elderly in this country traditionally has set us above 3rd world countries. Yet Tea Party Republicans seem bent on destroying the very fabric of programs like SSDI that help make this country so great.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't see how this is a left or right issue. I think you should be blamming politicians on both sides..
Absolutely!! Delays in SSDI are universal and not due to policies any one side has put into place.

What is more revealing--and important--is the brain washing disinformation campaign that is being waged by the Left that Republicans want to cut off all aid to people who really need it. People like the OP have bought into it and think that conservatives want to....oh, I don't know......euthanize them?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
True, life is not fair. But being a citizen of the United States means we don't turn our disabled out into the streets to beg for quarters and scraps to eat. The way we treat our disabled and elderly in this country traditionally has set us above 3rd world countries. Yet Tea Party Republicans seem bent on destroying the very fabric of programs like SSDI that help make this country so great.
I myself don't support dissolving programs for the disabled. But I also don't agree with somone starting a thread blaming "right wing" policies for his particular juxtoposition in life (ie. no beneftis). Not gonna cut it, and will certainly be challenged on the facts if he ever provides any.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No, the OP is not blaming 'right wing' politics for his affliction. He's properly blaming them for their lack of empathy in the real world of medical disabilities, a lack of empathy that you so perfectly illustrate in your posts in this thread. Fact: many right wingers do want to take away the safety nets in our society. But many/most people on the left recognize that there is intrinsic and practical value in helping the poor, elderly and disabilities through our tax dollars.
Since when does this have anything to do with people on the left or right?

Additionally what does lack of empathy have to do with this, and

Lastly, what safety net do you think someone is trying to take away, that is constitutionally provided for?

Don't get me wrong, I truly have no problem with the citizenry providing a pool of money that is doled out for those truly unfortunate enough to be so disable that they are unable to provide for themselves, and don't have family to assist.

I do however draw a few lines.

1. Helping the poor. Absolutely.. Help them get jobs and become self sufficient.

2. Elderly, (Which I am soon approaching), we have kids right? We took care of them, now it's time to turn that around. Any questions?

3. Disabled. Well, since I am disabled, I DO know what I am talking about here. It depends on the disability, and it's impact on your capability to find employment capable of sustaining yourself.

What the so called "right wingers" you so caustically refer to are trying to do, is get out of doing what the federal government has no business doing in the first place. I think that the totality of what some are trying to do is wrong, but understand their position. It's not the job of the government to take money from some and distribute to others, no matter the circumstance. In reality, the purpose of charity is to assist those who cannot assist themselves. In fact if all the charity collect to help those in need overseas, (and government money as well), was used to help those here in the U.S. we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I do however support the Government providing assistance to those who truly need it due to a handicap or disability (not due to their own negligence or activity such as getting drunk and driving their car into a tree).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies