Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
That is the problem green energy is not cost effective yet. We looked into going wind since we live in the valley and 90% of the time it is a blowing. We hope one day that we will be able to afford it where it does not cost as much as are whole house.
That's the problem with wind energy. Sure, turbines are cheaper than solar panels, but you are at the mercy of the wind. To help prevent a low wind scenario that most of us are subject to, you have to invest in a huge pack of batteries to store the electricity that you'll need to use when the wind isn't blowing.

As for solar panels, solar panels for residential and commercial use should still be in the R&D stage because their inefficiency is laughable. You pay so much for panels, you won't see a return on your investment in a couple decades it seems like and you wonder why no sane person would invest in solar panels, except for a water heater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:19 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's the problem with wind energy. Sure, turbines are cheaper than solar panels, but you are at the mercy of the wind.
Iowa is now generating 21% of its power using wind. Do you applaud it? I do.

Quote:
To help prevent a low wind scenario that most of us are subject to, you have to invest in a huge pack of batteries to store the electricity that you'll need to use when the wind isn't blowing...
Creativity has got us quite far and I'm sure it will continue. Germany, for example, has a pretty expansive wind, hydro and solar power generation grid. The problem you note, is well known, but problems are meant to be tackled not avoided. Germans, for example, are collaborating with Norway to use their dams as "battery".

Old 09-01-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Iowa is now generating 21% of its power using wind. Do you applaud it? I do.
I'll applaud it if no government subsidies was and are being used for this wind power generation. Considering across the country and in Europe, wind energy is heavily subsidized by the taxpayer, I seriously doubt wind energy in Iowa is cost-effective. And at subsidizing $18.82 per MWh nation-wide, no it's not cost-effective.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:24 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I feel for the entrepeneurs who now have failed businesses to add to their resumes, but it all goes back to risk. Relying on the Federal Government to absorb your risk is a risky proposition from the start. I'm sure these businessmen knew of the risks before jumping in, but relying on the Government is not a good business plan.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I'll applaud it if no government subsidies was and are being used for this wind power generation. Considering across the country and in Europe, wind energy is heavily subsidized by the taxpayer, I seriously doubt wind energy in Iowa is cost-effective.
And yet, I'm sure you support subsidies to a variety of businesses and especially the oil industry who would LOVE to see green energy efforts get destroyed and has the power and money to do so, both on need basis as well as influence in the government.

Subsidies are warranted when something new with a promising future ought to be developed, and we KNOW we need to. But then, plenty of people believe in oil being an immortal resource which will also be (hence) cheap and that if something unlikely happens (their beliefs dissipate) that new technologies will just magically show up and be the necessary replacement.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
And yet, I'm sure you support subsidies to a variety of businesses and especially the oil industry who would LOVE to see green energy efforts get destroyed and has the power and money to do so, both on need basis as well as influence in the government.

Subsidies are warranted when something new with a promising future ought to be developed, and we KNOW we need to. But then, plenty of people believe in oil being an immortal resource which will also be (hence) cheap and that if something unlikely happens (their beliefs dissipate) that new technologies will just magically show up and be the necessary replacement.
How predictable. You bring up oil subsidies when your argument has no leg to stand on derail someone else's topic

Old 09-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
How predictable. You bring up oil subsidies when your argument has no leg to stand on derail someone else's topic
I know how to hit the most sensitive nerve of hypocrisy.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I know how to hit the most sensitive nerve of hypocrisy.
Mark Levin: They Are Tax Deductions, Not Subsidies - American Petroleum Institute (http://www.bizcentral.org/american-petroleum-institute/2010/02/mark-levin-they-are-tax-deduct.php - broken link)

Have a read. Turns your argument upside down. Summary: Tax deductions are not subsidies like you and the White House claims. Like I said, your argument has no leg to stand on

Old 09-01-2011, 08:36 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
You know what I am curious about? How much oil do we have left? I mean when is the estimated expiration of the world's supply of oil? Sadly if new technology that is affordable and as efficient or more efficient than oil is not discovered we will just have to rely heavily on oil. However, this being America and all, I'm sure we will have some sort of major breakthrough in the next 20 years.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
I gotta laugh at obama and his green jobs because another solar company out in California is going bankrupt as well...

BTW, this green company spent $700 million dollars on their new plant..

Quote:
Solyndra, a solar equipment maker the White House used as a model for clean energy technology, is filing for bankruptcy. The company's failure means the layoff of more than 1,000 workers, as well as heightened GOP criticism of the administration's push for renewable energy.
Solyndra bankruptcy (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/90058803?Republicans%20heighten%20criticism%20with %20Solyndra%26%23160%3Bbankruptcy - broken link)

Looks like the obama house of green cards is collapsing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies