Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
Big polluters know that they will get away with their poisoning of the world- just look at Monsanto poisoning the town of Anniston Ala. - they knew they were poisoning the town with PCBs and didnt seem to care-corporate papers were found that proved they knew about it but their attitude was they could not lose 'one dollar in business' so they tried their best to hush it up, they knew they would have the state and federal govt. on their side because they are a large corporation. The citizens are now all dying from PCB poisoning- the company paid a fraction of their profits to the citizens to end the litigation, on with the show-next town could be yours-There is PCB poisoning all over the world-it is found in every human beings blood to some degree-and even in polar bears-it is all a matter of parts per billion in your bloodstream, there are actually ACCEPTABLE levels according to the govt. whic I find a hideous thing- even after they were outlawed years ago they live on in the polluted world- teflon is another pollutant that is found all over the world even in the polar ice-it does not degrade ever, just breaks down into microscopic parts that get into everyting and everyone-multiply this by every company out there dumping toxins that arent caught, or that just pay the fine or settlement-after all money is really the bottom line in all pollution matters, not the environment- just watch the documentary Mann vs. Ford to see another great example of a town full of citizens poisoned by a corporation who offers up basically 8,000.00 per poisoned citizen and say that if they dont accept the settlement they will declare bankruptcy- then getting govt. bailout money -people cry that jobs are lost if the regulations and environmentalists stop industry- well it seems that lives are lost if industry is allowed to just dump at will like they would without their fearing some sort of retribution, and by the way- Reagan pretty much decimated the EPA under his watch anyways so right wingers crying about them is a joke, they are in the back pockets of corporations as is the FDA, who basically let Monsanto write their own regulations regarding genetic altered biological products.
Links????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 02:12 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,915,433 times
Hmmmmm......ironic thing, I get called a liberal almost every day on this forum, (I'm an independent) but I like to hunt and fish, I live on a farm where we practice organic farming principles such as composting, raising most of our own produce, we have goats that do the work that a gas powered mower used to, plus the poo is great compost, and we get milk and cheese.
We have ducks, chickens, turkeys and geese that free range, control the bugs, and provide us with meat and eggs.
Why do we do it?
Because we would like to leave this patch of earth in better shape than we found it, commercial farming of both animals and produce is a horror beyond anything imaginable......
and last but not least..........

I've loved to make mud pies since I was a little girl.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:34 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,189,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
Big polluters know that they will get away with their poisoning of the world- just look at Monsanto poisoning the town of Anniston Ala. - they knew they were poisoning the town with PCBs and didnt seem to care-corporate papers were found that proved they knew about it but their attitude was they could not lose 'one dollar in business' so they tried their best to hush it up, they knew they would have the state and federal govt. on their side because they are a large corporation. The citizens are now all dying from PCB poisoning- the company paid a fraction of their profits to the citizens to end the litigation, on with the show-next town could be yours-There is PCB poisoning all over the world-it is found in every human beings blood to some degree-and even in polar bears-it is all a matter of parts per billion in your bloodstream, there are actually ACCEPTABLE levels according to the govt. whic I find a hideous thing- even after they were outlawed years ago they live on in the polluted world- teflon is another pollutant that is found all over the world even in the polar ice-it does not degrade ever, just breaks down into microscopic parts that get into everyting and everyone-multiply this by every company out there dumping toxins that arent caught, or that just pay the fine or settlement-after all money is really the bottom line in all pollution matters, not the environment- just watch the documentary Mann vs. Ford to see another great example of a town full of citizens poisoned by a corporation who offers up basically 8,000.00 per poisoned citizen and say that if they dont accept the settlement they will declare bankruptcy- then getting govt. bailout money -people cry that jobs are lost if the regulations and environmentalists stop industry- well it seems that lives are lost if industry is allowed to just dump at will like they would without their fearing some sort of retribution, and by the way- Reagan pretty much decimated the EPA under his watch anyways so right wingers crying about them is a joke, they are in the back pockets of corporations as is the FDA, who basically let Monsanto write their own regulations regarding genetic altered biological products.
That is the key, regulations are government approved acceptable levels of poison. Hold corporations and executives liable and we won't need regulations.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:34 PM

553 posts, read 1,024,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They still use petroleum products.

They are at the end of the line, they pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Many of those Joes, and bill's and mary's have 401K's and reap the benifits of the oil industry even though they don't realize it.
Can you guys ever on this forum speak for yourself instead of giving these airy comments about others?

Do you actually have investments in oil industry?
Did you see your dividents decrease?
BTW, British Petroleum,that was drilling in the Gulf of Mexico has Brritish people as main investors, in case you did not know. The British people lost in their retirement funds. American lost jobs because the Gulf shoreline is screwed.
For god's sake, you remid me a windmill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Links????
I think the person shared his personal story and grief and we should appreciate him doing so. it was interesting to read. Like I said, if you want to participate in a thread like "give me a link" and "who are you to know that?" there are tons of it on the CD.

Last edited by Dressy; 09-01-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM

20,419 posts, read 12,338,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Can you ever on this forum speak for yourself instead of giving these airy comments about others? Do you actually have investments in oil industry?
BTW, British Petroleum,that was drilling in the Gulf of Mexico has Brritish people as main investors, in case you did not know. The British people lost in their retirement funds. American lost jobs because the Gulf shoreline is screwed.

I think the person shared his personal story and grief and we should appreciate him doing so. it was interesting to read. Like I said, if you want to participate in a thread like "give me a link" and "who are you to know that?" there are tons of it on the CD.

do you intend to address the question of the nexus between earthquakes and hurricanes and anti-environmentalists?

Old 09-01-2011, 03:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,268,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
This my favorite post on the thread!
Thanks.

We have tons of the weird variety of activists here in CA.
Just the other day a green technology firm that Obama spoke at last year that has a 500 million dollar loan from the taxpayers has fired all their employees and filed bankruptcy.

The green technology does not at this time work, and you have a President telling us we need to grow these jobs that arefocusingg on these non functioning products. It is kind of retarded to me.

We have people here using electric cars to save the planet. Don't mind the batteries are far more toxic than anything associated with the old gas engines. In addition they plug these 50 mile range poops into the wall, which means they use coal and oil to get the electricity to run the clean electric car. (Kind of getting the stupidity yet of the environmentall products as they exist today?)

The President outright said he wants expensive oil and gas to force us to find cheaper solar crap. Maybe that is why he has us paying $5 for gas in some places. We think he wants at least $6 should he by the grace of Satan survive the 2012 Presidential election as President.

Thanks for liking my post, you have good taste.

I always say the action is in protecting our drinking water so we don't pollute over half our country the way China has.
I like the filters on refineries, the smog stuff on cars and other reasonable efforts.

Thank you.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 PM

527 posts, read 466,832 times
RCCB- I believe he was being ironic when he said your post was his favorite based on his posts, I dont think he really liked what you had to say-

Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 PM

737 posts, read 1,146,114 times
Quote:
Can you guys ever on this forum speak for yourself instead of giving these airy comments about others?

BP has many American investors, as individuals, in mutual funds, and in pension plans. Do you think the Chinese people are buying the shares of all the Chinese companies?

Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 PM

24,372 posts, read 22,982,365 times
If cleaning the air or cleaning the water or keeping areas natural would make people rich, liberals would be first in line demanding it be done. The problem is, it doesn't so the incentive is no longer there. Yeah, some liberals, the true greens want it and are willing to fight for it, but they are a small minority among the left and get drowned out by other social issue demands.
One could hope that true conservatives would realize the value of clean air, clean water and maintianing healthy environments and ecosystems. They make use of them and benefit from them more than liberlas, many of whom are urbanites who never leave the cities and only pay lip service to environmental issues to keep the greens happy.
Clean bays and clean oceans mean healthy fish populations which means a thriving fish industry which translates to business for restaturants and consumers. Clean protected natural areas means recreational business, which conservatives get more use of. Clean air makes for less healthcare costs which keeps down insurance costs.
Right now global warming has become the scam of choice for the far left because it is a way to get rich. Carbon credits are ridiculous, carbon footprints just stupid and green technology is sucking tax dollars and then fails when the money stops.
Theres craziness and ignorance on both the far left and far right but its money that motivates them both.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:58 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:

Yes, I do have investments in oil drilling.

Yes, stocks did go down.

I in fact do give links when appropriate.

BTW, I am NOT a guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies