Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I concur. The NAACP chose that name during an era when the word "colored" was derogatory. They chose instead to use it as a term of empowerment amongst the black community. The organization was started in 1909. What else would you expect...? How many organizations today do you hear with the word "colored" in the name..? Of course the African American community would consider this offensive.
How dare they find it offensive! And here are all these white folks who wish they could say "colored"! So inconsiderate of them...It ain't fair, I tell ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,334 times
Default " Rite Weng Be Ah Gittin Y'all Iffin Ya don't Watch Owt" !!! OTAY !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Apparently you now agree with the right wing.
Backspace !!! ... On The Money !

Indeed ... Be Ah Soundin Like It Might Jest Could Be : Agreeing With The Dang Right Wing !!! ARRRRRRRRRRGH Y'all ! ...

Ta Ta ..... Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 PM

Default "Free Lesson Below" ... Y'all Be Takin Ah Real Long Look Fer Sho !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
No, it is simply (a) different, and (b) the term is more qualitatively similar to the term white. Alternatively, whites could simply refer to themselves by lineage, as well. Either way.... doesn't much matter. It's a language social norm, and whatever people find convenient and sufficiently descriptive and efficient as a means of communication, then the language should, and generally will, naturally evolve that way.

(RE: question) It puts both terms on a more similar footing, rather than using qualitatively dissimilar terms to refer to the groups of people.

We can use color as a descriptor for the group, or we can use ancestral lineage, or perhaps other means. However, if we choose a descriptor, then we should strive to use the same descriptor for all the different groups simply for purposes of clarity. It's not a requirement, merely a social norm of language.
FreedomThroughAnarchism !!! ... Three Thumbs Up For You !

At last ... a highly intelligent post regarding this bonkers subject !

Excellent Work Freedom ! Now Even a Third Grader Can Comprehend It !

Case Closed ! Cheers / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 09-02-2011, 08:23 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
He goes on to say that people who refer to themselves as African American are "ridiculously stupid"

Proud of Being ‘African-American’? Glenn Beck Says You’re ‘Ridiculously Stupid’ (http://yourblackworld.com/2011/09/01/proud-of-being-african-american-glenn-beck-says-youre-ridiculously-stupid/ - broken link)

“In South Africa, it's Black and colored. It's not a bad thing. Only here
What color is Glenn Beck...?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:25 PM

Default "Proud American's" ... Nothing Else Measures Up To This Title ! Lets start rallying around this noble concept now !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Glenn Beck is this...
Glenn Beck is that...
Glenn Beck is a...

Really?

That's all you have for the topic?
Negro
Colored
Black
but African American is so wrong, if you ask me. I have a buddy that is from South Africa. He is as white as the Pope. Is he African-American.

Personally, if I have to describe somebody, I just tell it like it is and say, " that black guy with..." but that is my last stab at trying without going there.
BentBow !!! ... Spot On !

Indeed ... The more this unbelieveably moronic subject is discussed the more fantastically delusional it's pundits appear to become !

Where in the hail does such idiotic B.S. as this ever come from ??? What !

Ain't it pitiful ? ..... Lets all wake up from the current nightmare regarding so called African Americans, European Americans etc. and just be loyal American's for a change instead of acting like millions of simpletons all running around and worring our zzzzzzzzzzzes off about someones dang race and all !!!!

Cheers ... Old Sgt. Lamar ...Proud American !

Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
What color is Glenn Beck...?
Porky Pig Pink

Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
X2.. Unless you were born in Africa, and are now living in America.. you aren't African American.
Actually, according to the Human Genome Project, all modern humans came from a common ancestor who originated in Africa.

Therefore, ALL Americans are technically African-American and share the same blood, regardless of the hue of their upholstery.

In other words, folks, there are no "white" and "black" and "yellow" people. We are all one. Deal with it. Own it. "Us" and "them" are now "We". And that includes Beck.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Actually, according to the Human Genome Project, all modern humans came from a common ancestor who originated in Africa.

Therefore, ALL Americans are technically African-American and share the same blood, regardless of the hue of their upholstery.

In other words, folks, there are no "white" and "black" and "yellow" people. We are all one. Deal with it. Own it. "Us" and "them" are now "We". And that includes Beck.
So technically, I'm related to Glenn Beck???

Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
So technically, I'm related to Glenn Beck???
You have to put up with the **** to get the sugar, sometimes, unfortunately...

Old 09-02-2011, 09:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Guess we should start calling White people beige, tan, and peach while we're at it!

Wouldn't bother me, I'm a little red at the moment, but my ass is still as white as the pope.

I could give a crap, if someone calls me white, cracker, honky(old days), redneck, hippy, or even ass hole.
I am, what I am. No reason to sugarcoat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies