Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:19 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,129,059 times

Advertisements

It sure would be nice if liberals actually looked into what he said and could comprehend his point.

Some of you, like the Huff., do it on purpose. You know you are being dishonest but do so purposely to make an non-liberal look bad.

But there are some of you that are just too stupid and idiotic to even understand Beck's point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 04:27 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
LOL! I agree with Glenn Beck that it is ridiculous for blacks born and raised in the United States to call themselves African Americans. Can you find an exact quote from Glenn Beck where he says that he wants to bring back the word "colored"? Of course you can't.
Of course he can't.

Another attempt by this poster to stir controversy where none exists. Take something out of context, wrap it in a sensationalized headline to get attention, post it on a forum with a couple of equally sensentionalized statements.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Why is some fat tub of goo like Beck concerned what Americans who are black call themselves?
He's just trying to create controversy that equals more money in his bank account..
As for calling people colored he is somewhat correct in as much as we are all of a certain color, in fact it brings up the question if we were colorless could we even be seen?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
What the hell does this have to do with the thread???????

About as much as your original post has to do with what Glenn Beck said. I don't think you read the article you posted. Beck clearly didn't say what you (or the article) claim he did.

This thread is a waste of my time.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 09-02-2011 at 04:59 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 05:01 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,468,053 times
Quote:
He goes on to say that people who refer to themselves as African American are "ridiculously stupid"

Proud of Being ‘African-American’? Glenn Beck Says You’re ‘Ridiculously Stupid’ (http://yourblackworld.com/2011/09/01/proud-of-being-african-american-glenn-beck-says-youre-ridiculously-stupid/ - broken link)

“In South Africa, it's Black and colored. It's not a bad thing. Only here

Wow. A right wing white guy complaining about how black people aren't using a term that they consider perjorative. I can't believe this dude had his own show.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
And "Coloreds" is a better ???
Well, we Caucasions are called "white", and even many prominent "blacks" refer to "people of color" in contrast, so why not "colored"?

Is this controversial? This is really a stupid thread, and you have your panties in a bunch over it, don't you?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:41 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,851,804 times
Only on television do I hear the term African-American. All the blacks I know tend to refer to themselves and others of their race as black.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:47 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,405,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I don't know if he really said that, but if he did, so what? What is so egregious about it? I agree with him anyway. "African American" is just a term that evolved as a poor attempt to disassociate from previous terms that had developed negative connotations. In time, "African American" will have to be replaced too. As for "colored," give me a break. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE in meaning between "colored" and "people of color," the latter being used regularly by blacks.
"People of color" is present tense and "colored" is past tense. I mean geesh, get with the program.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:07 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,424,071 times
Does Beck have a problem with people who call themselves Irish American or Italian American or German American et al?

Hell, during the 1980 campaign Ronald Reagan once referred to himself as simply "an Irishman"

Old 09-02-2011, 06:16 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,381,739 times
I didn't listen to the clip but going by the OP's history I suspect Beck's words were manipulated by the OP to arrive at an alarming thread title that fits his agenda.

Black Americans can call themselves whatever they like. I'm not sure why African American is the preferred term though, since as a child of African immigrants, I don't see much African in them or their culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies