Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:55 PM

355 posts, read 209,706 times

Advertisements

This War got its foothold with a paranoid, ignorant, racist fool---Nixon.

Some of the biggest drug peddlers are the CIA and the financial banks.

It is an atrocity. This failed war has wreck havoc on America. However, America has turned into a police and military state. America exceptionalism is now define by have the highest prison population of non-violent criminal and exporting arms.

I think around 60% of our prison population consists of non-violent drug criminals. We spend around $30k a year to harbor prisoners. Not only is the War on Drug is unjust, but it harms economic prosperity. It diverts productive resources towards non-productive ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
95% of all drugs imported to this country make it to market.

We spend hundreds of billions of dollars a year on enforcement, incarceration, and research on trying to lower drug use.

If thats not an enormous waste of money, I don't know what is.

Either vote to raise taxes so we can increase the drug wars funds by 95%, or end it. Anything in the middle is stupid.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:04 PM

It can be argued that meth is a direct consequence of the War on Drugs. Druggies would not have the incentive to create meth from household products if drugs were decriminalized.

The War on Drugs reeks of perverseness.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Ever notice whenever our criminal gang in Washington declares war on something, the casualty is the taxpayer?

How many of our own ruling class (i.e. legislators, attorney's and law enforcement officers) are they themselves drug users?

How many recreational drug users are locked up for years, their property confiscated and lives ruined?

I don't use drugs or advocate for such, but the war on drugs has been one of Americas most shameful hypocrisies.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Ever notice whenever our criminal gang in Washington declares war on something, the casualty is the taxpayer?
The state loves this war. It enriches them with money and power.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
The state loves this war. It enriches them with money and power.
The authoritarians will be along any second now to tell us how important it is for our society to keep locking fellow Americans up and stealing their property.
Oh and have you and I have keep paying them to do it, as well.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The authoritarians will be along any second now to tell us how important it is for our society to keep locking fellow Americans up and stealing their property.
Oh and have you and I have keep paying them to do it, as well.
In reality most of the folks locked up for drug use and/or selling didn't have anything to steal to begin with.

What locking them up does steal is our tax dollars, to continue locking them up.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Well it certainly is as big a failure as Prohibition.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
In reality most of the folks locked up for drug use and/or selling didn't have anything to steal to begin with.

What locking them up does steal is our tax dollars, to continue locking them up.
I own some hunting acreage in a rural community and my neighbor was caught with a 150 marijuana plants on his property. Three law enforcement agencies were involved (state, county and local) and they seized 80 of his acres. My neighbor was however able to negotiate (plea with the judge) to keep his farmhouse and 5 acres surrounding.
The three agencies are now auctioning off his confiscated property and after sale will divvy up the proceeds to buy more equipment to use against the taxpayers.
The sheriff told me first hand he has his eye on a new squad with imaging technology. Oh and he was pissed the judge left my pot growing neighbor 5 acres and his farmhouse, because wanted to sell that too. Population of the town this occurred in is 750.
I'm guessing there are untold thousands of stories like this across the country.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:15 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,790,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
This War got its foothold with a paranoid, ignorant, racist fool---Nixon.

Some of the biggest drug peddlers are the CIA and the financial banks.

It is an atrocity. This failed war has wreck havoc on America. However, America has turned into a police and military state. America exceptionalism is now define by have the highest prison population of non-violent criminal and exporting arms.

I think around 60% of our prison population consists of non-violent drug criminals. We spend around $30k a year to harbor prisoners. Not only is the War on Drug is unjust, but it harms economic prosperity. It diverts productive resources towards non-productive ends.
What's the proposal? Legalize drugs? Which drugs, all? Some drugs, such as marijuana? If only some drugs are legalized will a truce be declared on all other narcotics? What about designer drugs? Will they be illegal until proven safe and then legalized or will they be legal and be made illegal if proven unsafe?

It's a more complicated issue than people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies