Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 02:32 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,166,787 times

Advertisements

Those who think abortion is the only choice are just as narrow in their beliefs as those who think abortion should never be allowed. Both are anti-choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 02:41 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,444,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
For the sake of argument let us assume that abortion = murder. Murdering somebody would make you feel very guilty. But can somebody coerce you to commit murder of your own child? Would be quite difficult unless violence or death threats are involved. To say that you were coerced into killing somebody else would rarely stand up in a court of law. Actually, pretty much never.

For the sake of argument again, assume that abortion is not murder - just shedding some parasitic embryonic cells from your uterus. It might make you feel somewhat guilty and stigmatized for having gotten pregnant, but it would not take coercion to help you decide that you are not ready to raise a child. So to say that you were being forced to have an abortion in this instance also makes no sense.

Either way, it makes no sense -- unless at gunpoint, as many have said.
Some guns are subtle. Read about forced abortions. Being shunned or kicked out or having the man leave or losing ones job or,or,or. There are many ways it is forced.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:50 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,204,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Those who think abortion is the only choice are just as narrow in their beliefs as those who think abortion should never be allowed. Both are anti-choice.
I've never met a person who believed abortion was the only choice for a pregnancy. But I have met people who believed it was never to be a choice, for themselves or for others.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
This is why I think some IMPARTIAL counseling would benefit those women who are not sure what they want to do but I know that "abortion counseling" is a hot-button no-no for most pro-choicers.

BTW, I am pro-choice but sometimes women in this situation could be helped by some outside counseling with someone not affiliated with either side of this debate.
I agree.

I would like pro-choice people to explain why they do not want women to get abortion counseling. Women get all kinds of counseling before any medical procedure. Your solution would be the best.

It seems those who are in favor of abortion want the woman to just get the abortion but they say those against abortion just want the woman to have the baby. People can't say one is forced and not the other.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I've never met a person who believed abortion was the only choice for a pregnancy. But I have met people who believed it was never to be a choice, for themselves or for others.
Many libs feel it is the only way. Look at the web site on forced abortions.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Many libs feel it is the only way. Look at the web site on forced abortions.
One can also just look back on this thread to get a feel that there are lib feminists who think an abortion is the only choice and should be encouraged.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:18 PM

37,069 posts, read 42,038,193 times
Regardless of the blah blah blah of people who will not ever be effected by it, some women do feel they have no choice but to abort. And even neutral counseling won't change the fact that having a baby may end the life they know and force them into a life they don't know. Whether they keep the child or give it up for adoption doesn't matter...the bridge is burned. Now, it may not seem like good choices but that's what we have. Even if there was a group or other family willing to take in every pregnant teen and care for her as their own FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE it's not going to trump the fact that her life won't be the same. And for some, that's a deal breaker. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do about that. Nothing. There is only so much anyone else can do.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Every woman has her own situation to face. Some can do it with a clear head and make a clear choice they will be happy with for the rest of their lives. Some are conflicted and unsure about what to do. Being urged to abort when the woman really doesn't know which way to go and then choosing to abort and regretting it the rest of her life is something that may well be more common than we know. This is why I say counseling from an impartial third party is beneficial in helping these women make up their minds. Whatever her ultimate decision, she will have to live with it for the rest of her life.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Regardless of the blah blah blah of people who will not ever be effected by it, some women do feel they have no choice but to abort. And even neutral counseling won't change the fact that having a baby may end the life they know and force them into a life they don't know. Whether they keep the child or give it up for adoption doesn't matter...the bridge is burned. Now, it may not seem like good choices but that's what we have. Even if there was a group or other family willing to take in every pregnant teen and care for her as their own FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE it's not going to trump the fact that her life won't be the same. And for some, that's a deal breaker. There is absolutely nothing anyone can do about that. Nothing. There is only so much anyone else can do.
And that is the most important fact of life yet we think nothing of telling teens if they are going to have sex than use birth control like that is the panacea answer to it all.

Teens are too young to decide many things but we think they can decide about life and death issues. Teens are so uninformed and duped now a days, it's sad.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:41 PM

37,069 posts, read 42,038,193 times
Quote:
I would like pro-choice people to explain why they do not want women to get abortion counseling. Women get all kinds of counseling before any medical procedure. Your solution would be the best.
All the risks and care issues should be explained, as with any medical procedures. If a woman want's counseling on personal issues that should be available, but not required. I'm not even sure I'd put that responsibility on a Dr since it's getting into the mental health and social services areas. And it's over reaching by assuming women seeking abortions are incapable of making the decision herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies