Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 11:28 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
It has nothing to do with race, but rather with the conditions in which the child was born and raised. In China, the parents generally are not doing drugs and drinking alcohol, issues linked to low IQ. Do you think it is racist to acknowledge that a child who was prenatally abused will have a lower IQ than a baby who was not? Do you think it is racist to acknowledge that a baby who has not been abused its first year of life will have a higher IQ than a baby who has been neglected and abused, perhaps even starved of nutrients? If you think that is what "racist" is, then you need to hit the books again (specifically, the dictionary.) Try not to be one of those people who sees race in everything.
No, I don't. But abuse happens across races, and you had to specify "non-white" babies in your assertion that babies here have lower IQ's.

Quote:
The same cannot be said of nonwhite infants in the U.S.
Why couldn't you just say "infants in the U.S."? A white infant in the U.S. who is abused risks brain damage just as much as a nonwhite infant. You're the one that brought race into it, not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
No, I don't. But abuse happens across races, and you had to specify "non-white" babies in your assertion that babies here have lower IQ's.
A lot of the children in the foster care system, regardless of race, will have IQ issues simply because of prenatal abuse or postbirth neglect, as well as they may come from parents who simply aren't that smart to begin with (hence all their problems). Did not intend to link it to race.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
A lot of the children in the foster care system, regardless of race, will have IQ issues simply because of prenatal abuse or postbirth neglect, as well as they may come from parents who simply aren't that smart to begin with (hence all their problems). Did not intend to link it to race.
I appreciate you taking back the comment about nonwhite babies specifically. I'm sure you and I both know from our research that abuse happens across all races.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I appreciate you taking back the comment about nonwhite babies specifically. I'm sure you and I both know from our research that abuse happens across all races.
Absolutely.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:36 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Couples adopt Chinese babies because there are plenty of them. With the Chinese only allowing one child per family the women who give birth to another one need to abandon them near an orphanage---they literally leave them in the weeds near the orphanage door to be found.

China has allowed these abandoned babies to live at the orphanage---so far they have not ordered them to be killed but that may be in the future---who knows.

Anyway, when there is such a small amount of American babies to adopt that couples need to wait for years, than China is a good alternative to go to. Then Russia and the other countries.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Anyway, when there is such a small amount of American babies to adopt that couples need to wait for years, than China is a good alternative to go to. Then Russia and the other countries.
That is a blatant lie.

Quote:
In June 2011, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) releases data on foster care from fiscal year 2010. The data show that more than 107,000 children were waiting to be adopted..
NACAC

Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Didn't meant to ignore all your comments about your personal situation either and now have a minute to address that. I'm typing with twin toddlers running around so my concentration is not all it should be! Certainly you know more than most people about this subject, and I have to take my hat off to you for making what appears to be an incredible recovery from a traumatic life situation. Kol hakavod as we say in my religion, which means "all the honor (to you)."

A reasonable question to ask is, would a child be better off in a home where some attempt will be made to give them what they need, or better off staying in an orphanage (assuming it provides basic, non abusive care at the least) and remaining in his home culture/ethnicity? Some have argued that the Chinese orphanages should just raise these abandoned girls as best they can and not let them be adopted to US citizens. In the U.S. we don't really have orphanages anymore (can someone correct me if I'm wrong?) so all the children are farmed out to foster care situations. I am not sure that this is so wonderful, since it seems there are a lot of horror stories about foster families. At least it seems a few orphanages could be better monitored than thousands and thousands of private homes.

Anyway I guess we are WAY off topic. I do understand that prolifers who raise these questions generally have an underlying agenda, one I don't support, but it is good for prochoicers to be ever more vigilant in making sure that the women they know or come across in a professional setting truly are being given a "choice" and not assume that all women are strong enough to stand up for themselves.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That is a blatant lie.

NACAC
They are not healthy infants, are they? I've had many friends try to adopt and they cannot get a healthy infant, period. One friend who managed just happened to see an ad placed by a private attorney.

Most infertile couples do not want to give up the precious experience of holding a small infant, nor do they want to deal with abuse/neglect sequelae.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Didn't meant to ignore all your comments about your personal situation either and now have a minute to address that. I'm typing with twin toddlers running around so my concentration is not all it should be! Certainly you know more than most people about this subject, and I have to take my hat off to you for making what appears to be an incredible recovery from a traumatic life situation. Kol hakavod as we say in my religion, which means "all the honor (to you)."

A reasonable question to ask is, would a child be better off in a home where some attempt will be made to give them what they need, or better off staying in an orphanage (assuming it provides basic, non abusive care at the least) and remaining in his home culture/ethnicity? Some have argued that the Chinese orphanages should just raise these abandoned girls as best they can and not let them be adopted to US citizens. In the U.S. we don't really have orphanages anymore (can someone correct me if I'm wrong?) so all the children are farmed out to foster care situations. I am not sure that this is so wonderful, since it seems there are a lot of horror stories about foster families. At least it seems a few orphanages could be better monitored than thousands and thousands of private homes.

Anyway I guess we are WAY off topic. I do understand that prolifers who raise these questions generally have an underlying agenda, one I don't support, but it is good for prochoicers to be ever more vigilant in making sure that the women they know or come across in a professional setting truly are being given a "choice" and not assume that all women are strong enough to stand up for themselves.
I would say the orphanage situation is better if the parents don't want the child, but the problem with that is that most orphanages are abusive. Even if they aren't outwardly sexually and physically abusive, because there often aren't enough caretakers for the number of children cared for, orphans get neglected which is extremely emotionally abusive. The harmful effects of childhood neglect are comparable to other forms of abuse. So even in the most ideal orphanage, through no one's fault, a lot of times orphans grow up with the effects of abuse.

You're right--we don't have orphanages in the U.S. anymore. Foster care does involve being exposed to a lot of abuse as well. And much like with orphanages, children need to be able to attach to one parent. When they're being thrown around from one home to another, they never get a chance to form a healthy attachment to an adult, and that in itself is very emotionally abusive to the child. So again, even in the most ideal situation, through the fault of no one, foster care children often grow up with the effects of abuse.

It's just the way the system that is built that is abusive to children. Add on the tons of stories of physical and sexual abuse that happen in both orphanages and foster care homes, and you start wondering if abortion really is such an awful alternative. That's why I'm vehemently pro-choice. A lot of pro-lifers (not all of them) glorify the adoption option but don't realize the reality of abuse, attachment disorders, identity issues, and other medical issues that often come with adoption.

To get back to the original topic, as someone who is pro-choice, I equally support a woman's choice to have a child. I don't think it is fair to coerce a woman into having or not having a baby either way. And I agree--at an abortion clinic, a client should be presented with ALL her options.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:00 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
They are not healthy infants, are they? I've had many friends try to adopt and they cannot get a healthy infant, period. One friend who managed just happened to see an ad placed by a private attorney.

Most infertile couples do not want to give up the precious experience of holding a small infant, nor do they want to deal with abuse/neglect sequelae.
When adopting a baby you cannot predict the life the child will have, the physical, emotion, or intellectual capacities or limitiations.

I will repeat my point again. Most people who oppose abortion do so as they believe all life is sacred, even embryos. And yet, apparently, children languishing in the foster care system do not garner as much respect, devotion, or outrage as embryos. That is my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies