Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 10:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Just following the markets this is not surpising. The confidence level has dropped ;not increase on the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
It is damn bad are any of you some of the people who lost a job they have been on for over 20 years. I know a lot of middleaged men in this position. No home they lost it, no job, and after some over 1 1/2 years have not found a decent paying job, to replace the one they lost.

That is good. Unless you walk in these people's shoes who are out of work, no one knows the pain the families feel. Little kids with no place to call home, they lost their homes, their Dad's have no jobs, and going on 2 years, and still the job situation is no better. Thanks Obama, all that Hope n' Change, really was just talk as most educated people thought.

I don't blame members of his own party urging Obama not to seek relection in 2012, all over the net yesterday.

Oh and for you information only, the fine hard working families i know where someone has lost their job, Dem, or Repub, guess what, they are not blaming Bush for their loss, can you guess who they are blaming, or is that too hard a question!
Are you saying that people who lost their jobs under obama aren't blaming Bush??? The media must be falling down on their job!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:10 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Obama severely underestimated the the GOP willingness to throw the American people under the bus, he still does, at least so far.
At ZERO JOBS CREATED, I think it's time to realize that it's Obama and his cronies that are throwing the American people under the bus.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
People know the government is adjusting their tabulations to make up the 9.1%.

Using the actual population and job numbers we are at least at 11.4% unemployment and if you include those not counted for being out of work over a year, the number is somewhere over 18%.

Truth is the unemployment is closer to double what this administration is making up.

Last edited by RCCCB; 09-02-2011 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 11:16 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
But,but.....wait. I thought the unemployed were all a bunch of losers looking for handouts.

I wonder what "the unemployed are losers" crowd has to say about this now.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Obama's job creation plan next week will reverse the trend, but slowly. Wait and watch. In 12 months, it's going to be a more encouraging figure and he'll take another 4 years. Mark my words

I heard on the radio news last night that the White House's own projection is that unemployment figures will stay at 9.1% or higher past the 2012 election.

That certainly does not bode well for reelection chances.

His "Plan" will likely be nothing more than just rhetoric and campaigning as in the past.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:38 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
The majority of the economic pains we're experiencing are completely out of the hands of the particular sitting President or Congress.

Have Obama's policies hurt? Maybe secondarily to some degree. But all of this that we're seeing even today was set into motion a long time ago, and it has to play itself out. The jobs are never "coming back."

In fact, I would guess we'll see unemployment go HIGHER than the current "9.1%" concocted number. And as somebody earlier mentioned, automation, redundancy, off-shoring, and overall productivity gains mean those jobs aren't needed anyway.

I'm not much of an Obama fan and don't like very many of his principles or policies, but a lot of this is pure scapegoating. The Executive branch does not hold primacy over everything. There's not some path some other President could have walked that would make things appreciably better than they are now. I don't blame Obama for the vast majority of the hard times we've had in this tepid recovery.

And this idea that 1/20/13 will usher in an administration that will lead us back to the promised land is absurd. More's the pity.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 09-02-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 11:51 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
Not a lib or conserv but some observations here on stagnant employ figures.

1. The stimulus package blew it-----poorly conceived and disroganized. That package should have been preplanned and shovel ready and allocated to states and areas that had planned highway repair and bridge repair programs----the entire package should have been employment geared----

2. Corporations are sitting on massive piles of cash----this country has always been about plowing ahead and putting money on America and its future----bean counters have changed this ----business and corporations are now in the mode to squeeze their employees dry, as please do the work of two or three people or we will find replacements. They love their cash piles---they really do.

3.There is a total sense of fatalism now that our country wont or cannot respond to problems. Most people, correctly sense, that political partisanship has replaced the needs of the country as congress primary objective. The American people sense that this has become a dog and pony show hence deflating confidence.

4.All of the above mentioned factors has reduced this country to a nation of idealogues,sloganeers,and flamethowers who relish obrstructionism, lack of creativity, and providing for maintenance of narrow self absorbed views.

I dont care to define our goals or aspirations as liberal, conservative, or liberetarian. I care that we get our collective spark back and realize with a renewed spirit and effort that we can reduce debt effectively and spark renewed growth----both goals can be achieved simulateously.

Somewhere, somehow, a creative and bold person with vigor and imagination will step forward in the process and put an end to this puppet show that is now going on. The time has come for sock puppets to end and real men and women to show the way.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
But,but.....wait. I thought the unemployed were all a bunch of losers looking for handouts.

I wonder what "the unemployed are losers" crowd has to say about this now.
There are a ton of folks that don't want to hear they were being paid a bubble salary for what they did that bursts like the real estate bubble did.
Now many can't do what they did for more than 30 cents on the dollar.
Those folks refuse at times to seek employment paying the deserved new wage or to work another job.
Those people and the ones not looking for work collecting off some program are losers.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Are you saying that people who lost their jobs under obama aren't blaming Bush??? The media must be falling down on their job!
Don't like it take it up with the 15 families i know just me myself who lost their jobs under this administration. Really think they are going to blame anyone other then Obama, when they lost their jobs under Obama and this administration. Talk to them, they will tell you exactly what they feel and it ain't pretty believe me.

They had their jobs under Bush funny or ironic whatever, but a new President comes in that was suppose to bring nothing but Hope n' Change, and these poor people who lost their jobs, some going on almost 2 years, have no hope at all. Do you know that some of these middleaged Guys were on a job well over 20 years, and now boom, no job, lost their homes, their children have no place to call home. It is so so sad. You really think they are not pissed at this President, when he made promise after promise after promise, of a new era of Hope n' Change, and being a different people President. Come on what if tomorrow you lose your job, think your going to find another one, you will be in the unemployment line like all others who have lost their jobs, because guess why, there are no jobs!

Housing has never been so bad as it now is, no job, guess what no house you lost it. Values what values, home values are at their lowest leves that they have ever been at. So not good news.

Last edited by california-jewel; 09-02-2011 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies