Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 AM

74 posts, read 78,745 times

Advertisements

I have just finished reading an article describing the dangers as well as the forcible installation of these Smart Meters. Electrical utilities can actually force you to have one installed on your home, regardless of how much you oppose such installation, even on health issues.

Here is the link and title of the article so you can read it in its entirety

'SMART METERS' - THE NEW SILENT KILLER
PART 1 of 2

Link: Devvy Kidd -- 'Smart meters' - the new silent killer, Part 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:27 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
I read the article. I did not find it persuasive. For one, there is no 'legal reason' I can think of concerning why that woman who claims she was repeatedly assaulted by a meter installer could not be identified: unless, of course, she made it up

Anyway, try not to fear what you do not understand. The 'smart meters' (which I have had for a year) are not going to kill or sicken people, or, at least, no more so that the other crap emiting electromagnetic fields do (hey, are you one of those who sit in front of a computer? Use a microwave? Use a cell phone? Walk out in sunlight?).

You simply have people that fear technology. People were protesting the introduction of the telephone (with the wires), the electric wires that bring electricity to your house, and many other examples. Believe me, back when the microwave oven was introduced, you had a lot of people convinced they were Satan's own tool.

Back in the early 1800s there were scientists who were convinced that if that new-fangled 'steam train' went over 20 mph, it would suck the breath out of the riders lungs.

The book "Frankenstein" is about fear of the new technology.

Fear does, however, sell. I can make a lot of money writing a book declaring 'smart meters will kill you!', but I would not be able to find a publisher for my book "Everything is alright. Relax".

Old 09-02-2011, 09:48 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,807 times
Smart meters will, in theory, be able to shut down or regulate your home appliances, as "smart appliances" and the "smart grid" develop.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:02 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
I wish my city or utility would change over to smart meters.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
My year over year bills actually went down after the Smart Meter installs for both Gas and Electric. Month to month comparisons for the last 13 months since the install show decreases every month for both gas and electric. This occurred with no changes in appliances or number of people in the home.

As for the health issues. I think breathing is more of a cause for concern.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
If people don't want the smart meter they can go off grid. Stupidity annoys me.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:38 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If people don't want the smart meter they can go off grid. Stupidity annoys me.
Sometimes, stupidity = poor.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Sometimes, stupidity = poor.
I guess I mean ignorance rather than stupidity. Apparently nobody cares about the current meters or the way the energy companies do business. But boy, let them try to change it and BAM!! Nobody is forcing anyone to take the energy or do business with the energy companies. It's a chioce we make when we decided to live the way we do. There are other ways to live but most folks don't want to do that.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I guess I mean ignorance rather than stupidity. Apparently nobody cares about the current meters or the way the energy companies do business. But boy, let them try to change it and BAM!! Nobody is forcing anyone to take the energy or do business with the energy companies. It's a chioce we make when we decided to live the way we do. There are other ways to live but most folks don't want to do that.
Do you think Bill Gates has a smart meter in his home?

Forget it! That's not fair.

He's a putz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies