U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:45 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,063,056 times

Advertisements

Being on business here in San Juan, got me thinkin'...should PR become a state?

What benefit do they provide the United States not paying federal income taxes but taking a lot of our money?

I'm more than willing to welcome them into the "field of blue" on our flag, but seriously, either be a state or declare independence. None of this "half-way" stuff
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 06:57 PM

25,058 posts, read 24,885,655 times
Did you know that income tax does not fund any government services? I don't blame you if you didn't know, more than 3/4 of Americans don't know that. The income tax goes to pay toward the debt and interest to the private Federal Reserve. Puerto Ricans already pay Medicare and Social Security taxes, and FICA* if I remember. Oh, and we play host to the U.S. military as well, and another condition of not paying income tax, we don't get to vote for president or for representation in Congress. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

And it's not just limited to Puerto Rico. I don't get the big deal about Puerto Rico when you also have the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands as well.

*Someone correct me on that if it's not true

Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 PM

20,194 posts, read 21,581,650 times
They aren't the only ones...

Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They aren't the only ones...
Exactly. There's also Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. I also believe that the now independent Palau and the Federated States of Micronesia also enjoy U.S. protection due to being freely associated republics with the U.S.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 PM

1,268 posts, read 939,503 times
Not until they make English their official language!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Not until they make English their official language!
It already is......

Old 09-02-2011, 07:27 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,063,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayImshuffling View Post
I think the Puerto Ricans should vote on it, and we should let them do what they want.
100% agree. But they vote on it every so often and it's always Estado Libre Asociado. I think it needs to be...

Check one.

____ Statehood
____ Independence

Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,337,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Being on business here in San Juan, got me thinkin'...should PR become a state?

What benefit do they provide the United States not paying federal income taxes but taking a lot of our money?

I'm more than willing to welcome them into the "field of blue" on our flag, but seriously, either be a state or declare independence. None of this "half-way" stuff
There is an international forum on C-D that discusses this kind of stuff from time to time (e.g. the various U.S. territory islands).... just in case anyone cared. Opinions from the islanders are usually a mixed bag.

I'd just as soon cut them loose. I think they need to be under the thumbscrews of the United States (or any other of the big countries) like they need a hole drilled in their head. The benefits they may mooch off us may not be of greater utility than the bureaucratic nightmare from hell that comes along with becoming a state, in the minds of many residents of these U.S. territories.

Yes, they like their free benefits they suck off us.... and yes, we should at least question whether they should even be getting those benefits given their quasi-autonomous nature.... but if I was an islander in one of these territories, I'd view the lack of autonomy as too high a price too high to pay, and I'd view it as making a deal with the devil, just so I can mooch more free welfare money from the devil. That's a utility calculation each islander has to make for themselves, though.

The argument is usually that these islanders would suffer if not for our military protection, and other benefits they enjoy..... and I know that like crack addicts, if we cut off the benefits supply.... they may indeed feel it.... but I say that is a cold turkey withdrawal they need to experience in order to get clean once and for all of the stench of us, because the alternative is crap, in my opinion. Asking them to become another state is like asking them to jump on board our sinking ship, or jumping into the pit of excrement with us. I don't see how they benefit much. All it does is invite extreme misery upon themselves, and for what.... some paltry welfare handouts? Too high a price, in my opinion.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
There is an international forum on C-D that discusses this kind of stuff from time to time (e.g. the various U.S. territory islands).... just in case anyone cared. Opinions from the islanders are usually a mixed bag.

I'd just as soon cut them loose. I think they need to be under the thumbscrews of the United States (or any other of the big countries) like they need a hole drilled in their head. The benefits they may mooch off us may not be of greater utility than the bureaucratic nightmare from hell that comes along with becoming a state, in the minds of many residents of these U.S. territories.

Yes, they like their free benefits they suck off us.... and yes, we should at least question whether they should even be getting those benefits given their quasi-autonomous nature.... but if I was an islander in one of these territories, I'd view the lack of autonomy as too high a price too high to pay, and I'd view it as making a deal with the devil, just so I can mooch more free welfare money from the devil. That's a utility calculation each islander has to make for themselves, though.

The argument is usually that these islanders would suffer if not for our military protection, and other benefits they enjoy..... and I know that like crack addicts, if we cut off the benefits supply.... they may feel it.... but I say that is a cold turkey withdrawal they need to experience, because the alternative is crap, in my opinion. Asking them to become another state is like asking them to jump on board our sinking ship, or jumping into the pit of excrement with us. I don't see how they benefit much. All it does is invite extreme misery upon themselves, and for what.... some paltry welfare handouts? Too high a price, in my opinion.
Yet another uninformed American how can Puerto Rico mooch off the U.S. if we already pay federal taxes? We fund YOUR Medicare, Social Security, and other federal crap through FICA

Old 09-02-2011, 07:34 PM

1,268 posts, read 939,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It already is......
According to Wikipedia it's Spanish & English. Where did you see that English is the official language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies