Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:42 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the most enlightening article. This dovetails my independant conclusions exactly. We are witness to the rise of 21st century fascism by the right wing of the republican party.

"As Hannah Arendt observed, a disciplined minority of totalitarians can use the instruments of democratic government to undermine democracy itself."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 10:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Ronald Reagan was a longtime democrat who did the same thing which is of more note than this person.At a time when government employees benefits are coming under increasing pressure; its not surprising that one would change to protect themselves.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The Democratic party is as full of lunacy as the Republican party. It does not take an expert to see that. To call the Republican party a "cult" is just ridiculous. Why are liberals so blind to the lunacy of their own party??
And yet no one who responded in this thread, including you, bothered to say anything of substance in defense of their counter argument. What is the lunacy of the Democratic party? And realize it will have to be factual, not "they like to overspend" or "they all want handouts" or "they want gays in every classroom" because those opinions are not supportable. (I'm independent, so I'm not defending nor supporting the Democratic party).

The Republican party has gone off the deep end. It's like the Church Lady suddenly and inexplicably made sense to a large group of people and they ran with it.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:31 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The Democratic party is as full of lunacy as the Republican party. It does not take an expert to see that. To call the Republican party a "cult" is just ridiculous. Why are liberals so blind to the lunacy of their own party??
Probably because we don't have Democratic presidential candidates telling people that floods and other natural disasters are "Messages From God".

Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Probably because we don't have Democratic presidential candidates telling people that floods and other natural disasters are "Messages From God".
You mean it wasn't?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:53 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
What has been lacking in the Democratic party is a real leader. Not a titular head of the party, but someone or a group that the Republicans are at least uneasy to cross.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Great article! It highlights many of the ongoing debates here on CF and confirms most of my positions. Positions that I came to on my own by reading and paying attention, not by being party-loyal. When I read it there were parts that made me want to gag, or seriously hurt someone. Anyone who has the nerve to consider themselves a "real American" needs to take off the big foam finger and read this stuff and help put a stop to it.

Last edited by Ceece; 09-04-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times
First, my apologies for the typos in the OP. The guy who helps me with yard work showed up and I was rushed.

Now, For those who read the article, what do the Republicans gain by this systematic erosion of the middle class?

During the debt ceiling debacle was when I first realized that a cold war style civil war had been waged in this country. I wondered why none of the American news had picked up on it. We are in war. But why?

There was a time when I remember people who supported their families and kept kids fed, drove decent cars, purchased a house, and kept the family insured on a sales job at Sears. What happened?

This is much more than lunatic republicans or lunatic democrats. These 'low information' voters that Lofgren refers, why do you think the Republicans have convinced them that it's in their best interest to help them erode the well paying jobs with benefits that someone with only a minimal education can acquire? And they do this while convincing them that it's also in their best interest that their losses should benefit the ultra rich or companies who hire them for 8-10 bucks an hour? They've convinced them that it's the 'illegal immigrant's fault, but do nothing to the industries that abuse those same undocumented workers. (meat packing industry and agriculture workers)

This is a start for discussion without the name calling. The posted essay was written by a well established Republican. It wasn't from a democrat.

Last edited by Ecovlke; 09-04-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
This is the most insightful, honest, and necessary article in recent memory. How I wish I could believe it would awaken the sheep who do still love their country and have just been brainwashed by the talk radio cults. I wonder though, even if that happened, is it too late. Our government..from the supreme court down to the local county board....has become so corrupted by the vast wealth that has bought their vote and their soul. Would it even be possible to reclaim our country. They are now even taking away the power of the vote and I fear that our votes would never be allowed or counted in the near future.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
This is the most insightful, honest, and necessary article in recent memory. How I wish I could believe it would awaken the sheep who do still love their country and have just been brainwashed by the talk radio cults. I wonder though, even if that happened, is it too late. Our government..from the supreme court down to the local county board....has become so corrupted by the vast wealth that has bought their vote and their soul. Would it even be possible to reclaim our country. They are now even taking away the power of the vote and I fear that our votes would never be allowed or counted in the near future.
Unfortunately it won't "awaken" anyone since those who need awakening know no other way. This IS what they know, and that's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies