Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,433,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
No, I think the democratic party led the expansion of this country into the greatest in the world in the 20th century. Most of the great achievements of that period century, from civil rights to Apollo, occurred under democratic and moderate republican leadership. The recent shift to the far right has been associated with a rise in demagoguery, financial tomfoolery, a decline in real innovation, economic volatility, destruction of the middle class, polarization, declining, third rate infrastructure, and return of the Robber Barons. We tried all this laissez-faire, hate your neighbor baloney in the late 1800s, and 1920s. It did not work then either.
You are, of course, correct, but the recipient of your post wont understand a word of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,528,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
From the link in the OP...

It should have been evident to clear-eyed observers that the Republican Party is becoming less and less like a traditional political party in a representative democracy and becoming more like an apocalyptic cult, or one of the intensely ideological authoritarian parties of 20th century Europe. This trend has several implications, none of them pleasant.

I have said this in other posts. An oath to Grover Norquist??? A pledge to ban gay marriage???

It is a cult!
maybe it will end like Jonestown...They dont even know what they stand for anymore...look at this audience, who are these people???

'The Republican Party is in deep trouble'... Among their many issues - turns out the GOP is really hurting when it comes to women voters. A new Gallup poll shows that among women, Democrats have a solid double-digit advantage in party identification over Republicans - 41 percent to 27 percent.

How can GOP attract more women? – Cafferty File - CNN.com Blogs

Grover Norquist is too ugly for television also...

Old 09-06-2011, 01:53 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,178,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I read a couple paragraphs of that, and I came to the conclusion that the author is basically saying Democrats good, Republicans bad. Then the other liberal posters on here read it in its entirety and they came to the conclusion that the author is saying no Dems are bad too, but Repubs are worse. Ok, sorry guys but, when you say stuff like that, it's classified as Democrats good, Republicans bad.
You are part of what the article talks about. You are the unbrainwashed because you have not got the facts and then spout off. I just love it!! Here we have an actual example. Please read the whole article before replying.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:58 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,509,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The libs are already getting the anger machine geared up after the loss of the white house and senate in 2012.

Libs are alot happier when they have something to complain about. So it will be a win-win situation, in which the nation gets some direction toward fiscal responsibility and the libs can be happy again while protesting and complaining.
So you really want president rick perry VP palin?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Your democratic/liberal progressives are the very people that have brought this country to its knees and only the dumbest people on the planet would blame a party that's been in minority power (Hitler style) for less than a year for a 100 years of bad policy.
Typical response from a LOW INFORMED VOTER as mentioned in the article.
Did you read the article Homer?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 PM

A great article! One of the best in a long time,

Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 PM

...... Or the popular rage is harmlessly diverted against pseudo-issues: death panels, birtherism, gay marriage, abortion, and so on, none of which stands to dent the corporate bottom line in the slightest.

Yep, pseudo issues abound...hey where is draggingcanoe today, isnt time for another birtherism thread, lol.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,237,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The point of the article is that the Democrats and Republicans are NOT equal. The Republicans, especially the new Tea Party types, have a vested interest in defaming our congress. Unbelievable. They go on about honoring the constitution, but they bring shame on our whole system of governance. Inept political appointies at the EPA and FEMA, senseless showdowns like the debt ceiling, torture and rendition, manufacturing intelligence for wars, and witchhunts like the Starr hearings all point to a group so obsessed with power they act in sociopathic ways. It is precisely the point that the parties are NOT equal in how they do things. The democratic party has baggage and corruption, but I cannot imagine in 1000 years that the democratic party would try to default the government, insist on shrinking the deficit while maintaining the lowest taxes in 50 years, pulling the rug out from under the government when we are preparing for the onslaught of boomer retirement, and chortling about the whole thing. And as for the cult insinuation, it seems fitting when a political party that aspires to gain a majority signs pledges and purges all the moderates from its ranks. It is getting closer to the Taliban by the day.
Damn fine post! I find it stupefying that people tag along with their blinders on, cheering for the signed pledges and the purging of moderates.

When you stated they have become sociopaths, you nailed it.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,593,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
maybe it will end like Jonestown...They dont even know what they stand for anymore...look at this audience, who are these people???

'The Republican Party is in deep trouble'... Among their many issues - turns out the GOP is really hurting when it comes to women voters. A new Gallup poll shows that among women, Democrats have a solid double-digit advantage in party identification over Republicans - 41 percent to 27 percent.

How can GOP attract more women? – Cafferty File - CNN.com Blogs

Grover Norquist is too ugly for television also...
The Republic Party is far more vulnerable than some of the posters on here seem to assume. They are a party of white men. They lose all other demographics. (Please spare me the anecedotal evidence of your lesbian Mexican-black neighbor with a handicapped son who loves Rick Perry righties. We're talking about majorities here.) Karl Rove is very concerned about this. In 10 to 15 years, the demographics shift will ensure that the Republic Party won't be able to win national elections, unless they signficantly revise their platform. My wife, a moderate with conservative leanings, just laughs everytime she hears from the Republics. She shakes her head and says, people listen to these clowns?

I think the shrillness we hear here is due to fear. It's a death rattle. Even if they win in 2012, way more future presidents are going to look like Obama and not Perry.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM

Only GOP women I see are like my neighbor, 60, who asks her husband to drive to the local Kroger...the old generation is dying out, women work, women own houses, went to grad school and pay taxes...we also vote and are enraged at what is going on...we also aren't stupid so please stop with the token mascots....

Perry looks like the type of man who has his wife walk ten paces behind him- same old condescencion towards women...for the life of me I dont get the myth of "southern hospitality" the men are the most classless, rudest I have ever seen...(in NE Tenn for now, unfortunately)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies