Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:13 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So your argument is guilty until proven innocent? Talk about tilting a table to favor something...like a poorly substantiated rebuttal.
The evidence of corporate crime and crimes of the wealthy is overwhelming. I didn't say they were all that way, but to ignore the elephant is to be trampled by it. Do you honestly think these people created their wealth ethically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 03:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The evidence of corporate crime and crimes of the wealthy is overwhelming. I didn't say they were all that way, but to ignore the elephant is to be trampled by it.
What are to comparing that amount of crime to.

The guy with a gun at the party store???

Crime is crime.

I would like to see some numbers from you.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:19 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
The evidence of corporate crime and crimes of the wealthy is overwhelming. I didn't say they were all that way, but to ignore the elephant is to be trampled by it.
We are talking about this elusive "hidden 1% of people" I thought, not corporations, and your statement was a blanket statement that essentially said "if you are super wealthy, you did it by ill gotten gains"

What has Buffett done wrong? Bill Gates? Microsoft went through their issues and that was all settled. The Walton family? Michael Bloomberg? Michael Dell? Jeff Bezos? You may not like some of those folks but to cast the wide net of saying they are rich so they must be unethical is a pretty weak and frankly offensive argument.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:41 PM

564 posts, read 892,562 times
Quote:
We are talking about this elusive "hidden 1% of people" I thought, not corporations, and your statement was a blanket statement that essentially said "if you are super wealthy, you did it by ill gotten gains"

What has Buffett done wrong? Bill Gates? Microsoft went through their issues and that was all settled. The Walton family? Michael Bloomberg? Michael Dell? Jeff Bezos? You may not like some of those folks but to cast the wide net of saying they are rich so they must be unethical is a pretty weak and frankly offensive argument.
Let me try and make this clearer, not any person who has gained wealth legally in this country, nor any wealthy names who are known and published.

The descendents of these, and more:

J.P. Morgan , Rockefeller, and Kuhn, Loeb & Co., Frank A. Vanderlip, president of the National City Bank of New York, Henry Davison, senior partner of J.P. Morgan Company; Charles D. Norton, president of the First National Bank of New York; Paul Warburg of Kuhn, Loeb, & Co.

The "money trust" was not broken, as the people thought it would be. Thus the people were fooled, and a small minority has benefited for nearly 100 years off the backs of every single American and The U.S.

Yes their wealth far exceeds trillions, and it would be nothing for them to pay the debt.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Let me try and make this clearer, not any person who has gained wealth legally in this country, nor any wealthy names who are known and published.

The descendents of these, and more:

J.P. Morgan , Rockefeller, and Kuhn, Loeb & Co., Frank A. Vanderlip, president of the National City Bank of New York, Henry Davison, senior partner of J.P. Morgan Company; Charles D. Norton, president of the First National Bank of New York; Paul Warburg of Kuhn, Loeb, & Co.

The "money trust" was not broken, as the people thought it would be. Thus the people were fooled, and a small minority has benefited for nearly 100 years off the backs of every single American and The U.S.

Yes their wealth far exceeds trillions, and it would be nothing for them to pay the debt.
Still a slightly dubious argument because the living descendants of these folks were not the ones that created their situations. Sure they are in a position to take advantage now, but not much you can do about that. I personally dont like the situation, but from an objective and legal standpoint there is nothing that you can do about it. Just because someone CAN pay for something doesn't mean they should. I could probably afford my neighbor's car payments now that mine ended, but why should I be held accountable to pay for them?

Bottom line is that this would be nothing more than a witch hunt. The only way to fix the situation is to have every American have "skin in the game" by paying some taxes, and holding their elected officials accountable when it comes to spending.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
OP, you can never pay off the debt with Federal Reserve Notes. DO you get rid of your credit card debt by opening up and using another credit card? No, you don't. You still have an outstanding debt

Old 09-04-2011, 03:55 PM

564 posts, read 892,562 times
Quote:
Still a slightly dubious argument because the living descendants of these folks were not the ones that created their situations. Sure they are in a position to take advantage now, but not much you can do about that. I personally dont like the situation, but from an objective and legal standpoint there is nothing that you can do about it. Just because someone CAN pay for something doesn't mean they should. I could probably afford my neighbor's car payments now that mine ended, but why should I be held accountable to pay for them?

Bottom line is that this would be nothing more than a witch hunt. The only way to fix the situation is to have every American have "skin in the game" by paying some taxes, and holding their elected officials accountable when it comes to spending.
Agreed, but the whole post was started, that they could pay it off. That it could be a "gift" to all of US...

Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Agreed, but the whole post was started, that they could pay it off. That it could be a "gift" to all of US...
Well if we are going "pie in the sky" then I'd like them to make that check out to ME and I'll decide how to best use it. Odds are about the same of either happening.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:00 PM

521 posts, read 860,039 times
Quote:
You make the naive assumption that their success was ethical. And you ignore that these people have tilted the table to favor them. They own the government and write the laws and would erase our freedoms to tilt that table even steeper toward them if they could. We're talking about the top 1% of the top 1%, the top 400 people that own half the wealth of our nation.

If our system was balanced and people achieved wealth due to their hard labor or intelligence alone, I'd agree with you. But that isn't the case. Instead, we find it acceptable that one person can be equal to 100 million others.

And you make the naive assumption their success was unethical. Your point is?

The thread wasn't started about money in politics so all of your points are moot in this discussion. I think we all agree money has no place in politics though.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Who's turn was it to watch the Paulistas? The loons have escaped again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies