Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM

80 posts, read 108,574 times

Advertisements

Yup! Let's get rid of the unions and send the American worker to China. That would be awesome for business! Profits would soar, and the wealthy could have the whole country all to themselves! JOY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:34 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
No one is forced to do any of that. If an employer demands that of a person not willing to do it, they can always leave the job. There are no chain and shackles(besides their own debt keeping a person at a specific place of employment.
You forgot one little detail...........If ALL employers do that.... where are you going then? China?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
WITHOUT UNIONS WE ARE ALL SLAVES TO BUSINESS. WITH THEM WE HAVE SOME SAY IN OUR WORKING CONDITIONS AND PAY. EMPLOYERS ARE NOT OUR FRIENDS AND NEVER HAVE BEEN!SOLODARNISH! SOLIDARITY!

IMHO it is past time for Unions to actually become International so we could export out worker safety and compensation rules worLd wide. On of the best ways to stop sending industry to slave labor countries is to establish unions in these hellholes and end the slavery.
I totally agree...been saying the same for years

Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
My husband and I worked our business. You have to work hard if you want to make money and own a successful business.

I am sure the union thugs enjoyed this day off just like they do all the other days they get with their destructive union benefits. Union workers think money comes without hard work and that is why they have destroyed so many industries in America.

Watching unions crumble is really great! As more states become right to work states, businesses will benefit.

work 37 years on the railroad lady.... you got no clue as to what real work is......

Old 09-06-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I know more union guys out of work than are in work.

The guys with seniority don't give a damn about anything or anyone but themselves.

One guy works 100 hours a week, while another guy sits at home waiting for the phone to ring.

So much for the "brotherhood".

mmmmmmmmm isn't it the EMPLOYER who says who works and who doesn't??? Employers lately want fewer employees. work em like dogs so they don't have as many.........not as many to "feed" you see......

Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
One works and six stand around to supervise.

As a matter of fact I was involved in installing a new track switch.......me and one guy..........should have been minimum of 4 ........when 5 supervisors showed up to watch us...........all 5 worthless as used spit.......stood in the shade and watched us..........

Old 09-06-2011, 10:14 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I worked for one of the largest railroads in the country for 37 years.The lowest return on investment they ever had was 10%.In my craft over that time period productivity increased over 100%.
Guess what bubba..........my wages sure did not.....
So lets assume there was a year where their ROI was negative, how much of a pay cut would you be willing to negotiate to factor that in?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
That is not the case. Railroad employees negotiate new contracts with the railroads every three years. I went sometimes for two or three years without any pay raise.....
every one here forgets something...........unions and companies negotiate a CONTRACT. they BOTH agree to it and SIGN it..........
Hence one of the problems I see with union negotiated contracts...in the span of 3 years things can change a LOT, potentially putting one party in a situation where they are not in a good place.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
The recent campaign against government unionized employees is yet another page out of the "divert attention from the wealthy looting this country" circus that is conservatism. Just because their employer is the public doesn't mean that they don't deserve fair wages and benefits or the right to organize.

The main argument from Wisconsin Republicans is that public workers had wages and benefits higher than those of private workers. The problem here is that the whole reason for that is because the public workers had a union protecting their interests, while most private workers are not unionized and are therefore getting f*d by their employers (e.g. Walmart employees).

Thus, public workers are not overcompensated, it's that private workers are undercompensated, but the wealthy elites are trying to cover this up by shifting blame to government and scapegoating public employees and their unions.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
work 37 years on the railroad lady.... you got no clue as to what real work is......
I'll never understand the mindset that unless you do physically taxing labor, you dont know what "real work" is. Getting up every morning and expending all of your mental or physical energy to do something to the best of your possible ability is "work" regardless of if you are sore and sweaty at the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies