Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times

Advertisements

I never much cared for Jerry Lewis, either as a comedian or as a pitchman for "his" kids. Besides, there are always plenty of other ways to give to Muscular Dystrophy, like for example my local supermarket which simply asks if you'd like to make a donation at the checkout when swiping your ATM or credit card. And every change in the world doesn't always have to be part of some big paranoid conspiracy.... sheesh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I never cared much about Jerry lewsis either but i would like to know what happened. I definitely respect what he has done with teh tlethon for kids with MD. I only know that he himself would not reportedly talk about it. I have great respect for the work he di for MDA tthru many years regardless. Piers Morgan;well he was highup in thatBritish newspaper when the mess we see happening was in full swing.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:48 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Jerry Lewis dumped
His telethon is going to be a webathon.... proving the media is a monopoly

Comedy club announces Jerry Lewis Award Webathon AP

Comedians who think Jerry Lewis was unceremoniously dumped from his post as chairman of the Muscular Dystrophy Association and face of its annual telethon are holding a Web-athon of their own.
Laugh Factory owner Jamie Masada said his club will hold a fundraiser on Monday featuring comedians such as Norm Crosby and Dave Chappelle. Fans can watch the performances online and make donations.
Jerry Lewis is an unfunny, talentless egotistical *******.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
He probably did not bring in enough revenue. Duh.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:01 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Jerry Lewis is an unfunny, talentless egotistical *******.
Is that what makes the French laugh?

Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
I know a lot of people in the MD community that have wanted to get rid of Jerry for years now. He's been picketed at every telethon for years.

I met some of them in Charleston one evening waiting in line outside a SOB restaurant. They weren't kooks or cranks, they were offended by the way Jerry portrayed the victims of MS, and seemed to have a legitimate beef with him.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:24 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I noticed in reading an article this morning about this that nigel lythcoe (sp) is at the helm of the telethon now. I don't know how deep he is into this telethon or how he got involved (it didn't say) but I do find it concerning the he, piers morgan, simon cowell, sharon osborne are now on air here in the US running telethons and the "talent" shows. Can't quite put my finger on it but something is wrong with this picture.
And I thought that I was the only one that saw it happening...

Old 09-05-2011, 01:26 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
And I thought that I was the only one that saw it happening...
It's Persons versus People, man.

Persons are winning.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:26 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Yes, but you have other news alternatives, like NPR, PBS, CBC, BBC, etc.
Further, wouldn't a monopoly mean only one megacorporation owned all of the media?
Monopoly: The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.
People don't become billionaires being stupid.

They know that they can only get close to a monopoly and own a market with a handful of people to make sure that the government doesn't come in and break it up.
Several people own it, but it's such a small group that it works as a monopoly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I noticed in reading an article this morning about this that nigel lythcoe (sp) is at the helm of the telethon now. I don't know how deep he is into this telethon or how he got involved (it didn't say) but I do find it concerning the he, piers morgan, simon cowell, sharon osborne are now on air here in the US running telethons and the "talent" shows. Can't quite put my finger on it but something is wrong with this picture.
I thought I was the only one that noticed the flooding of british people in our TV.
Seems like a british accent is enough for anybody to get a TV show.
When is mexican, asian or black accent going to get people a show that is not comedy.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:34 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I remember reading last year that he was retiring. The guy is 85 years old! Now today I read that he was "dumped". I don't know, I think there may be some miscommunication somewhere but I don't care either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies