Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:56 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Couldn't afford $27 for the antibiotics.
Quote:

A 24-year-old Cincinnati father died from a tooth infection this week because he couldn't afford his medication, offering a sobering reminder of the importance of oral health and the number of people without access to dental or health care.

According to NBC affiliate WLWT (http://www.wlwt.com/r/29044524/detail.html - broken link), Kyle Willis' wisdom tooth started hurting two weeks ago. When dentists told him it needed to be pulled, he decided to forgo the procedure, because he was unemployed and had no health insurance.

When his face started swelling and his head began to ache, Willis went to the emergency room, where he received prescriptions for antibiotics and pain medications. Willis couldn't afford both, so he chose the pain medications.

The tooth infection spread, causing his brain to swell. He died Tuesday.
Without Insurance, 24-year-old Dies of Toothache - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
He should have opted for the antibiotics instead.

Pain is just a symptom, it's always better to go after the underlying cause.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:03 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Couldn't afford $27 for the antibiotics.

Without Insurance, 24-year-old Dies of Toothache - ABC News

Read the story-

He chose to not take the antibiotics, which may have saved his life. He chose pain medicine, which would not address the problem.

When his infection progressed, if he had returned to the ER, he would have been admitted and treated with IV anti-biotics and removal of the teeth.

Now what is the point of your story?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He should have opted for the antibiotics instead.

Pain is just a symptom, it's always better to go after the underlying cause.
The pain medicine was $3 the antibiotics $27, a no brainer I guess for him. What I don't get is his uncle is Bootsy Colins you mean he couldn't ask him for $27?

Quote:
The 24-year-old nephew of musician Bootsy Collins has died at the University Hospital in Cincinnati after a tooth infection spread to his brain.
Kyle Willis, an unemployed single father of a 6-year-old girl, first went to a hospital complaining of a painful toothache two weeks ago. Willis had no health insurance and couldn't afford the $27 antibiotic he was prescribed.

Related Articles

Left untreated, the infection in his tooth apparently spread to his brain. Willis was violent and delirious when an ambulance brought him to the hospital where he died Tuesday.
Bootsy Collins, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, is best known for his work with soul superstar James Brown and the '70s funk-soul-rock fusion band Parliament-Funkadelic.
Nephew of Bootsy Collins Dies of Tooth Infection: Could Not Afford Medicine

Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 AM

I think the moral of the story is that when we're faced with choices, we should make the right ones. Maybe the guy was addicted to pain medicines.

Also someone only 24 having to have all his teeth removed must not have brushed them ever but also ate too much sugary foods. And if he doesn't have money to buy antibiotics, I wonder why he's choosing to have children. It doesn't sound like he's going to be much of a provider for his kids.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Read the story-

He chose to not take the antibiotics, which may have saved his life. He chose pain medicine, which would not address the problem.

When his infection progressed, if he had returned to the ER, he would have been admitted and treated with IV anti-biotics and removal of the teeth.

No point just sharing with the board.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The pain medicine was $3 the antibiotics $27, a no brainer I guess for him. What I don't get is his uncle is Bootsy Colins you mean he couldn't ask him for $27?

Nephew of Bootsy Collins Dies of Tooth Infection: Could Not Afford Medicine
Maybe there's more to the story and Bootsy was tired of lending him money? I'd have to know more before I blame relatives who wouldn't give him $27.

But still -- it's kind of sad that our government has chosen to harm the American people and put the needs of every kind of foreigner first, people are pouring over the border and getting all kinds of handouts, they aren't even given a hospital bill to pay, and foreign aid is ridiculous and seems to be accomplishing little to nothing.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Read the story-

I agree. People can and will get help if they need it.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the moral of the story is that when we're faced with choices, we should make the right ones. Maybe the guy was addicted to pain medicines.

Also someone only 24 having to have all his teeth removed must not have brushed them ever but also ate too much sugary foods. And if he doesn't have money to buy antibiotics, I wonder why he's choosing to have children. It doesn't sound like he's going to be much of a provider for his kids.
Can't imagine not being able to get my hands on $30 and raising a child. Some people just inhabit a different world I cannot comprehend.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:16 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Newsflash:

Even people with insurance have to usually pay out of pocket for doctor visits and prescriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies