Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:48 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
But is is their responsibility to do due diligence, to verify the workers they use and the subcontracts they choose, are here in this nation legally so they can legally work. Not using them to undercut their competition, that is using legal labor.
What about workers with forged documents? How far ($) should the employer go to verify legal residency?

Maybe we can have fast food drive thru workers check drivers licenses too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What about workers with forged documents? How far ($) should the employer go to verify legal residency?

Most of these employers know full well they're hiring illegals.

And when you find a business with almost 100% of one foreign ethnic group, you know what's going on. Whatever happened to Equal Employment Opportunity laws? When 100% of employees are all one ethnic group, you know something is going on.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Most of these employers know full well they're hiring illegals.

And when you find a business with almost 100% of one foreign ethnic group, you know what's going on. Whatever happened to Equal Employment Opportunity laws? When 100% of employees are all one ethnic group, you know something is going on.
It starts with our government not enforcing existing laws. It's on them.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I'm sorry, but you don't get a pass on illegal activity just becasue "everyone else is doing it." Too slippery of a slope imo.
When the choice is going out of business?

If you or your family built a business up over 20, 30, 40 years and you're now watching it crumble are you just going to quit?

Quote:
We need to crack down on the Employers #1.
I'd agree because it's lax enforcement that puts these business's in the position of having to hire illegals.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:57 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

Employers can use e verify. The last stimulus required all workers be US citizens. Anybody who bid on a job paid for with stimulus money had to have someone trained to monitor fair wages and citizenship of all workers the entire time they were doing the work. If at any time it could be shown an illegal was hired, the company would get fired.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:01 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The point on lax enforcement of immigration laws is to assure a surplus of workers willing to work for very low wages. This applies from construction labor through factory work to high tech H1b visas.

Enforcing the immigration laws would reduce the supply of workers and the profits to be made from those workers. It might mean the well off would have to mow their own lawns or Microsoft would make lower profits.

Many would consider that to be Un-American but I consider it necessary to keep out economy functioning.
Plus a lot of the profits those illegals make are sent back home and not spent here to boost our economy. Obama's infrastructure/earmark bank is only handing piles our taxpayer money to other countries in the end to build a bunch of bridges/highways/roads to union buddies land development projects. They they'll get the cities to pay for the water and electrical lines to be run in with some help from some other form of stimulous they try and blast off.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 AM

293 posts, read 720,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
And a lot of more recently Hispanic people are legal. My parents employ a lot of Hispanic people, mostly with parents from El Salvador. But they're legal. I'm sure people assume they're illegal all the time too. People probably assume they're all Mexican too. Just because you speak Spanish and look Latino doesn't automatically make you illegal and Mexican. I speak Spanish and I've been mistaken for Uruguayan and Chilean and I immigrated here legally from Russia in 1993.

That's a crock of bull s.h.i.t! Even in Latin America construction work along with farming are jobs of last resort. But let's suppose that you're legal; you will most likely end up working at Walmart or McDonalds before you agree to lay bricks in a housing development; even when your command of the English language is zero. You will do construction work only when you have no other options. Options that a legal person will have.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,195 times
most companies are supposed to verify citizenship status and have the means to do so...not the case when you're driving around in a pick up truck scooping illegals in the home depot parking lot

and that's the problem...for construction jobs, many companies have bypassed the entire hiring process of applications, tax forms, etc. I find it funny that this is not an issue of right and left as most issues are. As an independent but left leaning voter, I haven't found a candidate who firmly stands up for immigration enforcement.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
employers can use e verify. The last stimulus required all workers be us citizens. Anybody who bid on a job paid for with stimulus money had to have someone trained to monitor fair wages and citizenship of all workers the entire time they were doing the work. If at any time it could be shown an illegal was hired, the company would get fired.
lol.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
most companies are supposed to verify citizenship status and have the means to do so...not the case when you're driving around in a pick up truck scooping illegals in the home depot parking lot

and that's the problem...for construction jobs, many companies have bypassed the entire hiring process of applications, tax forms, etc. I find it funny that this is not an issue of right and left as most issues are. As an independent but left leaning voter, I haven't found a candidate who firmly stands up for immigration enforcement.
They can't or will be run out of the race by the media for being a racist. This is what it's come to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies