Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,129,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
A good incentive would be the threat of nationalization.
Maxine, is that you? Sure sounds like her.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why?

Well, I guess it's pointless to ask since you have such a difficult time with math.
Hell they don't even know what unions have had to do with all that loss of jobs so math wouldn't do them any good anyway.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
When we arrive on a domestic population willing to work for .50/hr then you'll see corporations keeping jobs here rather than outsourcing.

...in other words, don't expect outsourcing to stop anytime soon, if ever in our lifetimes.

We live in a global economy and the world needs to come together on common labor practices and currency.... Similar to the European Union but on a larger scale. Nationalism is becoming less and less effective in today's world. We can't simply outlaw outsourcing of jobs as that would kill corporate wealth and earnings, shareholders' stakes would plummet, and hiring would slow down even more. China and India will never agree to such a thing though because their dirt-cheap workforce is what is driving their explosive economic growth.

We need to create an economy where it becomes cost-effective to hire people locally rather than internationally which is hard to do when the cost of living in other countries is so low that .50/hr is doable (even though that is still a super-low wage in China). I'm going in circles.
Have you seen the whole story about Gibson Guitars? I think you may learn something if you could read it. There is a thread right here on C-D about that one.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Corporations are sitting on record piles of cash. I fail to see how conservatives think giving them more tax cuts will help spur growth. Corporations need more demand from consumers, not more coddling from conservatives.
Not so, at all. When someone replaces either Obama or Pelosi businesses will begin to believe that things may be improving for them.

Yes, most businessmen know that when there is no guarantee that they may be able to get away with some things to make money then they will go ahead and attempt to grow but when they have to continuously worry about raises in taxes, they just can't take a chance. Maybe a few fewer regulations would help, also. Cut some of the fool regulations that have been stacked on them since Obama took office and watch the growing businesses.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,496,294 times
they ned for this coutry to return to compatitivness. Wejust lost thre mroe palces i competitiveness. to egt compatitive people ahev to decide to be competitive. its unlike whe they do not ahve to i some nmany cases. As the president of france said we have invested in consumers not ealth blidng .That has resulted in less national wealth. When you make it poossible to survive not doing anythig but consumig ;many will do just that.That ealds to extreme icome differnce while antion wealth is lessen over time.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,711,394 times
"I refuse to believe that corporations are people until Texas executes one."

Old 09-19-2011, 08:57 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,536,248 times
Democrats, and especially the buffoon in the White House, have never understood the relationship between tax increases and tax revenues; raise the former and the latter goes right off the cliff.

His new proposals are weaker than a month old pot of coffee; they're way too tentative, and no exec has ever planned his or her business plan on the basis of a 15-month tax break, which will be more than obliterated by Dodd-Frank & ObamaCare.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,684,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The corporations already create plenty of jobs, overseas.

Fewer regulations would be a wonderful place to start.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:02 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,954,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Why?

Well, I guess it's pointless to ask since you have such a difficult time with math.
Oh no the math is simple, pay a peasant in South America/Asia 20 bucks a month or pay an "expensive" American 15 bucks an hour? The math is simple and unless you advocate slave wages then I'm not sure what you're driving at. This whole "the corporate tax rate is too high" angle is just BULLSHYT. We can lower the corporate rate to 0.000000000% and corporations will still leave the nation because they can pay someone 1/16th of what they pay an American on the other side of the planet.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,954,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Fewer regulations would be a wonderful place to start.
Yes we should be more like China and Taiwan. Hell why have any regulations at all? No matter how few we have the fat cats will always complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.