Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,072,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Are baby boomers being selfish, they might have lived through a couple of rough patches but overall the economy they grew up in is better than then the one their kids live in today.

"My goal is when they carry me away in that box that my bank account is going to say zero," Willison said. "I'm going to spoil myself now."

Many baby boomers don't plan to leave their children an inheritance - latimes.com
Why do kids feel like they're owed the money their parents made? The parents raised them, in many cases footed the bill ( in part or whole ) for college for their kids...I say good fro the parents to do what they want with THEIR money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:00 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,859,352 times
As long as my parents don't leave me their credit card bills from all the junk they buy, I don't care if they leave me any money or not. I don't want to be responsible for someone else's debt though.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 PM

880 posts, read 1,795,976 times
I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that Social Security, Medicare, and Pensions will be depleted or non existent 30 years from now. Not to mention Inflation will wipe out what the remaining savings younger people have.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,174,245 times
I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "We are spending our children's inheritance and
enjoying every penny"....I loved it!

ETA: It was on a motor home!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:29 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,792,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
As long as my parents don't leave me their credit card bills from all the junk they buy, I don't care if they leave me any money or not. I don't want to be responsible for someone else's debt though.
No one is responsible for their dead parent's debts.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,409,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I will be able to leave my 3 children inheritance and happy to do so. Also all 3 of them have always had bonds from when they were little, from Grandparents too.

I will be able to, do not believe in lying, because my Mother after my Dad passed away, had the ability to know how to save, when to save, and where to put her money. She had to do a damn good job, because she left all 3 of us kids quite an inheritance. So due in part to her, we will be able to do the same. If you can't you can't i believe in doing only what one can.

I am grateful to my Mother, because after my Father passed away, he would never ever dream that his wife, would be so good at saving and investing, but boy she did. Thank you Mom, i would of loved you even if you left nothing, because you were always the best Mom.
Oh believe me my kids want for nothing. Whatever they want now, i tell them take it take it please. They have. But still will be able to leave them a nice chunk, to buy a home or to help them in the furture the way things are going they will need it. We also have 2 rental properties, so they will make out there also. And our main home. Whatever we can do to help them in their future. And my children have always been more then self sufficent. Working from the age of 16. Again because of my Mother we are able to do this, I doubt now the way things are going and where interest is, the same would apply today, things are tough.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,002,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post

"My goal is when they carry me away in that box that my bank account is going to say zero," Willison said. "I'm going to spoil myself now."

I can't stand old people that talk/act like that. Acting like they are going to spend every penny they have, so no one else gets any.

Let's hope that coffin cover slams smack on her pathetic selfish ass. Will probably die alone too - serves her right.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Baby Boomers are definitely the most self-centered generation in history.
Yep.

My Boomer DH and I are so self-centered we sent our kids to school to get a good education so they could grow up and support themselves.

Selfish, selfish, selfish.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
No one is responsible for their dead parent's debts.
yes and no

You as their other children (your siblings and half siblings) are not liable for any of their bills, unless you co-signed something.

but

Once people die, everything they have house, cars, money in the bank, become their estate, someone is put over their estate. the person over the estate pays all of the bills of the people who died, from this.

They may sell the cars, and the house and pay the bills, After all this money is gone if there is still bills they merely notify them that there is no more money in the estate and they will not be paid.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,623,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm guessing plenty of baby boomers couldn't leave anything behind if they wanted to. Most of us X & Y'ers are gonna be hard pressed to throw away all our parent's worthless junk before the banks foreclose on their houses and credit card companies start harassing us about their unpaid bills.
This single mother will be leaving her house to her daughter.
My house is free and clear; paid for.
I don't have any credit card debt.

What she does with my 'junk' after I die will be up to her.

I sure as heck won't care!!!

Too bad you didn't have a better parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies