Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:59 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
IMPO it wouldn't matter if the USPS stopped delivering a couple days a week or in fact, all together. Only things in my mailbox are junk mail, with packages usually delivered by Fed Ex or UPS. I received most of my "mail" via computer, do online banking, and certainly don't need all those catalogues I am constantly opting out of.

I live in a fairly rural area and there are three small post offices within 5-7 miles, which I rarely have need to go. Thoughts?
I agree. I do the same as you and get the same as you in my mailbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:08 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,859 times
I personally think they should go ahead and reduce delivery if they think that it is going to save them, even to just a couple days per week. But I don't think it will help their situation. We live in a highly technological society yet you step into a post office and it is like stepping back in time.

I loathe having to go to the PO to mail a package. The lines are usually out the door and moving at a snail's pace and the one (or two if you're lucky) people manning the counter (in a populous metro area) are busy explaining their plethora of services to individuals, helping individuals pack things for shipping or address envelopes properly (something that the younger generation seems to have trouble doing), translating, or stamping or stickering something. If they reduced or eliminated delivery service, it would save gas on their vehicles and maybe those workers could expidite the processes inside the PO. Packages could even be on a pick up only basis. In an age where major world cities and even entire countries are wired for instant Internet access, the US falls behind.

The USPS is a relic of the past. I think of my elderly aunt who probably thinks of mail delivery as the most important part of her day. She gets the normal utility bills, an occasional greeting card, and a ton of junk mail and catalogs. No matter what it is, she sits down and opens and reads every bit of it, including all of the junk mail. Sometimes it takes her more than an hour. In her day, if it came in the mail, it was probably important. She panics if the mail is late. I try to get her to toss the junk but she thinks there might be something good in there. I think when her generation is gone (less than 10 years), the USPS will be gone as well, unless it has managed someway to totally revamp itself to meet modern demands.

Several PO branches in my city recently closed, including the one down the street from my house, but it has just forced me start buying my stamps online. I have a few bills that I still get monthly, but I could easily and should switch them to online. I can access any catalog I want online. The few greeting cards I do get I could frankly do without. Last time I moved, I tossed two boxes of them going back 30+ years because I did not have the space for them and they really served no purpose. I would really only miss their service for package delivery, and I would not have a problem with going to a branch office to pick up my occasional packages. I would love not to have to deal with all that junk mail. Not to mention all the trees and landfill space it would save! Maybe they should go back to the days when there were little postal stations inside local businesses. One person could handle registered letters and mail out and deliver packages.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:12 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
Delivery twice a week would be fine with me.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Delivery twice a week would be fine with me.
Heck once a week would be fine, but the problem would be my mail box couldnt fit all the junk mail.
Speaking of junk mail why am i subjected to all this crap and then have to deal with recycling it all?,why is there no way for me to refuse all this junk mail as i didnt ask for it and i dont want it.. its not like TV junk and crap commercials at least with TV half the junk time is interspersed with a tv show i enjoy..

Old 09-07-2011, 02:29 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Does it really matter if the USPS reduces delivery?
Yes.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Heck once a week would be fine, but the problem would be my mail box couldnt fit all the junk mail.
Speaking of junk mail why am i subjected to all this crap and then have to deal with recycling it all?,why is there no way for me to refuse all this junk mail as i didnt ask for it and i dont want it.. its not like TV junk and crap commercials at least with TV half the junk time is interspersed with a tv show i enjoy..
And, at least, you can turn the TV off.
My junk mail goes from the mailbox straight to the recycle bin in the garage. Never even makes it into the house. Same thing with those damn phonebooks. Who uses those anymore? They should only be delivered to those that expressly order them. What a waste!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Go with two or three times a week. The USPS could save a lot of money by rotating the days that the letter carriers had to walk their routes....

Old 09-08-2011, 10:58 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I could handle 3 times a week, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies