Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:09 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Examples:

People gripe about high taxes, but then are shocked when teachers and services are reduced/fired.

People complain about the jackbooted thugs of the government but then when there is a terrorist attack, wonder why the government didn't do more to protect them.

Nothing is perfect but I think people don't step back and look at things objectively enough before they start lambasting the government. Thoughts?
Definitely. I think our whole system is pretty decent seeing how we built it ourselves. It's kind of like watching ants on an ant farm build their home lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Definitely. I think our whole system is pretty decent seeing how we built it ourselves. It's kind of like watching ants on an ant farm build their home lol.
You support the PATRIOT Act I guess?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You support the PATRIOT Act I guess?
Uh...No. My statement was pretty vague, so what would make you think I support that from my statement? How random.....

Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Uh...No. My statement was pretty vague, so what would make you think I support that from my statement? How random.....

The PATRIOT Act is part of the system....

Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 AM

170 posts, read 362,136 times
Default no need to cut these

Quote:
Examples:
[b]People gripe about high taxes, but then are shocked when teachers and services are reduced/fired.
just cut the bloated bureaucratic systems that administer these services.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The PATRIOT Act is part of the system....
And? Should we just go thought every single piece of legislation so I can tell you what I support and don't support?

I did not say we didn't need improvement. My point was that, when looking at the bigger picture, humans have done a decent job (in some places).

Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Government may be inept but business is frequently inimical. Government may be late but business will take every dime you have.
This thread is about government, not business. Please stay on topic.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Examples:

People gripe about high taxes, but then are shocked when teachers and services are reduced/fired.

People complain about the jackbooted thugs of the government but then when there is a terrorist attack, wonder why the government didn't do more to protect them.

Nothing is perfect but I think people don't step back and look at things objectively enough before they start lambasting the government. Thoughts?
The scope of the federal government has been a matter of debate in this country since the Articles of Confederation. The Constitution was designed to address the deficiencies of the Articles. By the same token the Founding Fathers wanted to ensure that the federal government would not assume tyrannical powers, a la George III. So a system of checks and balances was put in place to ensure that the federal government, while powerful enough to accomplish the duties assigned to it under the Constitution, would not be so powerful as to overwhelm the individual or the states. Unfortunately the federal government's gradual accretion of power has done precisely what the framers feared. The answer is not anarchy (no one, conservative or libertarian advocates anarchy) but a return to constitutional government. A good place to start is by re-invigorating the 10th Amendment. And, no, the 10th amendment is not equivalent to the James Calhoun argument for states' rights.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
And? Should we just go thought every single piece of legislation so I can tell you what I support and don't support?

I did not say we didn't need improvement. My point was that, when looking at the bigger picture, humans have done a decent job (in some places).
You agreed with this:
Quote:
But disagree with the PATRIOT Act....

Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Examples:

The sign that said "Take your government hands off my medicare!!!" says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies