Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:12 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
And how would a different president make a difference? Will they stop the advance of technology? End off-shoring?
It's not the advance of technology. It was changing our economy from an industrialized economy to a service economy. Yes, technology will replace humans in some areas, but people have to run and maintain the technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The solution is to CREATE your own job. Don't rely on an employer.

I like the line in the movie "The Social Network" where Larry Summers the president of Harvard told the two clowns that wanted to sue the founder of FaceBook over stealing their idea for a social networking site. He told them "Harvard trains you to create your own job.".

If you can demonstrate "VALUE" to an employer, they will glady offer you a position.
This goes back to what I said in the beginning.

No matter what job you create, there is someone out there trying to find a way to automate it or do it cheaper.

May take a while, but it will happen.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
It's not the advance of technology. It was changing our economy from an industrialized economy to a service economy. Yes, technology will replace humans in some areas, but people have to run and maintain the technology.
For now. They are now making robots that repair other robots. Imagine where that will be in 10 years. or 20...

Old 09-07-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:

No matter what job you create, there is someone out there trying to find a way to automate it or do it cheaper.

Again, technology and automation doesn't hurt employment as much as people think it does. Yes, it may take a human out of one role, but more humans are put in the role of creating, running and maintaining that technology. People just have to renew their skills and keep on the cutting edge of them if they want to survive in today's world.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
For now. They are now making robots that repair other robots. Imagine where that will be in 10 years. or 20...
Someone STILL has to manufacture those robots, program those robots, etc.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times
Social unrest, more crime, higher gun sales and Obama out in 2012.

The you will see protectionist legislation enacted and finally a well needed clampdown and mass deporation of Illegal Aliens that have no right to be here in the first place.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Again, technology and automation doesn't hurt employment as much as people think it does. Yes, it may take a human out of one role, but more humans are put in the role of creating, running and maintaining that technology. People just have to renew their skills and keep on the cutting edge of them if they want to survive in today's world.
I dont think that is true. A machine that takes the place of dozens of workers made need a few to maintain it.

And for many, it is not possible/feasible to keep training for life. If you do, you become a live to work person, instead of a work to live.

Ugh...

Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:

Thats kind of a defeatist perspective. I've created my own mini-job over the last two+ years that could never be automated, replaced, or done cheaper by someone other than myself. There are other threats to the business model that I try to prepare for, but none of those that you mentioned.

At this point I still have my regular full time job that pays me well and provides good benefits, so I cant spend as much time as I'd like on my side project, and it isn't yet producing enough money to replace my full time job, however its a heck of a better option than relying on unemployment benefits should that unfortunate day ever come.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
Quote:
Someone STILL has to manufacture those robots, program those robots, etc.
SKYNET?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Who is going to engineer, design, build and maintain all the roads and bridges wiped out by hurricanes or entire towns obliterated by tornadoes? Those skills are not easy to cheap to learn but what we are willing to pay for them has continuously decreased. Why do we expect anyone to do the work for free? Financiers do not expect to work for anything less than exorbitant wages but they expect the rest of us to work for their profits without anything for ourselves.

Decent jobs are getting scarce in the US. Hell, indecent jobs are as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies