Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times

Advertisements

I would just as soon not be witness to something like butchering a cow at the curb in a residential area. We have to be "sensitive" to the feelings of gays, Muslims and a host of other "special interest" groups. Why not silly old grandmas who would rather not see blood running in the streets. Imagine the flies and the smell on a hot day.......phew.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 09-08-2011 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
His cow, his driveway, his business.

I wish I had a neighbor who was doing that. I would go over and ask for a nice fresh cut of steak.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:39 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, I live in the burbs and I've cleaned catfish on my picnic table and I've shot rabbits with my pellet gun etc.

However, I'm not rude enough to kill an entire freaking cow in my driveway as I recognize that some people may not be able to handle it and at a minimum it's just damn messy.

The guy was being an a-hole about it and could have at least done it more subtly. I have as much sympathy for him as I do some vegans blocking access to the local KFC and making a nuisance of themselves.
That is why you butcher the critter in your driveway, specifically because it is messy.

The very first rule when hunting moose is: "Never shoot a moose that is standing in water." There is a very good reason for this rule. Moose are so big that you will be cleaning the critter where it drops - in the water. That same rule would also have to apply to something the size of a cow.

If I had a choice, I would much prefer to kill and field dress a critter on my property, where it is convenient, than to kill and clean the same critter in the field.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
That is why you butcher the critter in your driveway, specifically because it is messy.

The very first rule when hunting moose is: "Never shoot a moose that is standing in water." There is a very good reason for this rule. Moose are so big that you will be cleaning the critter where it drops - in the water. That same rule would also have to apply to something the size of a cow.

If I had a choice, I would much prefer to kill and field dress a critter on my property, where it is convenient, than to kill and clean the same critter in the field.
Yeah, but that means you have a nasty gut pile to get rid of. I much prefer to leave that in the woods.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
...But then again, is it allowed to have sex in the driveway? After all, that is where babies come from, not in the maternity ward
Only gay sex it would seem, the way things are going. Which means the babies question is mute.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Yeah, but that means you have a nasty gut pile to get rid of. I much prefer to leave that in the woods.
True enough, and that is going to be a problem no matter where you are located. I do leave the entrails in the woods, as you say, because I have no other choice.

However, once I begin cleaning the critter in the woods I know I have to work very quickly. Alaska Department of Fish & Game regulations prohibit me from defending my kill from another critter, like bears or wolves. Which is why I bring a chainsaw that I have filled with peanut oil instead of bar oil. It may not be pretty, but I can quarter the critter, wrap it, and haul it out much faster than if I used the traditional knives and hand saws. Even after I get the critter home, I still produce several pounds of waste, which I still have to dispose.

If I could clean the critter on my property instead, I could afford to take my time and do the job properly. I would also produce less waste.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
His cow, his driveway, his business.
I agree.

Quote:
I wish I had a neighbor who was doing that. I would go over and ask for a nice fresh cut of steak.
If he knew what he was doing,I would ask if I could help the next time,to see the ins and outs of it all...

Old 09-08-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
True enough, and that is going to be a problem no matter where you are located. I do leave the entrails in the woods, as you say, because I have no other choice.

However, once I begin cleaning the critter in the woods I know I have to work very quickly. Alaska Department of Fish & Game regulations prohibit me from defending my kill from another critter, like bears or wolves. Which is why I bring a chainsaw that I have filled with peanut oil instead of bar oil. It may not be pretty, but I can quarter the critter, wrap it, and haul it out much faster than if I used the traditional knives and hand saws. Even after I get the critter home, I still produce several pounds of waste, which I still have to dispose.

If I could clean the critter on my property instead, I could afford to take my time and do the job properly. I would also produce less waste.
Makes alot of sense. I've only killed deer on my property, so the mess isn't nearly the size of what you have dealt with on moose. Given that you can't defend your kill, I hope you were in a position to get a rig or quad to it. Packing out moose quarters has to redefine the meaning of work-elk are bad enough. On rural property, dealing with the gut pile isn't a big deal...fire up the tractor, dig hole, dump in mess and cover. Not so simple on a city lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
..If he knew what he was doing,I would ask if I could help the next time,to see the ins and outs of it all...
You know, I bet the neighbor kids were thinking the same way. They don't seem bothered by the "ick" factor the way some adults are, and are learning all the time. Kids seem to be quite fascinated seeing game, or even fish, processed.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default Guy butchers cow in his driveway......insanity ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Charges for disorderly conduct, discharging a firearm, health code violations all pending. We got the dept of health, dept of ag, police a whole swarm of regulation enforcers swarming. Oh and the poor children who may have had to see how food makes it on the table. This is our govt in action.

Police called after man butchers cow in his driveway

Here's a good opportunity for this guy to learn an important life lesson:

No one pays more than the cheapskate

Want your cow butchered? Take it to a butcher's shop. A city driveway isn't a butcher shop.

Some people only learn things the hard way.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Here's a good opportunity for this guy to learn an important life lesson:

No one pays more than the cheapskate

Want your cow butchered? Take it to a butcher's shop. A city driveway isn't a butcher shop.

Some people only learn things the hard way.
LOL....a butcher shop.

Could you list the shops in your area that slaughter and process livestock?

We live in the country...and have ONE place in the county from what we have found.

Also,people slaughter their own livestock all the time,it isn't rocket surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies