Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:52 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Nope, I remember the first attempt of Bush that had to be paid back the next year and don't think this one will work. How high will he have to ask to have taxes raised to pay for your suggestion? The Chinese may not want to go along.
If we don`t get money moving again in this country, taxes will be the least of our worries. It`ll be about whether to shoot the mobs of hungry or just lock them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
I knew this was going to go strictly along lib--conserv lines----why not???

Everything thing over the past six months or so has been carnival like and divisive.

Nobody said this was going to be a perfect plan----its far from perfect and will be balanced by counter review and negotiation.

The prognosis is:

either sit down like adults and come up with a bipartisan plan that addressed job asap-----if you want to wait 14 months, and wait until the elections go ahead while the economy detoriates and more people continue to lose jobs and income.

if you dont want to address this problem now, let Rome burn and go all cards in trying to take down Obama in an incredibly selfish and partisan display----the heck with country for a year and a half.

The American people are not stupid----congress already has an 82% negative approval rating. As disappointed as the people are with Obama, they are furious with Congress----this is going to backfire.

I am disappointed in Obama----very disappointed-----yet now is the time to stop the partisan drivel and stop this carnival. Both sides get to the table and do something for this country---stop the ferris wheel and get to work.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
LOL---too funny.

You begin by saying you support Barack Hussein's jobs plan, but with "One small twist."

And then you proceed to intoduce a totally different idea with absolutely no recognizable resemblance to his plan.
Wow, I hadn`t noticed that. You`re a sharp one, DB.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
and of course the GOP solution is more tax-cuts that haven't created job in the past.
Certainly its clear by npow that reagan did a much better job at creatig jobs than Obama has. In the 60's JFK did what to stimulate the economy;he cut taxes and it worked as it has in other times. One of obama's worse mistakes is he has riase future expenditures and liabilites i his healthcare bil and actaullu made Business his evil empire ;time and time agin i his speeches. He alcks confidence of the very people who creat jobs, Consumers are svaing and paying down debt eand business is do same because of Obam's policies;plian and simple.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Default on my father's side

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Einstein was your 5th cousin? That is kind of impressive.
Boker tov.

He's related on my father's side of the family. Unfortunately, I don't have his brains.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
What's wrong with decreasing taxes for businesses which either hire new workers or give their present workers a raise?
But that isn't what they do with it, as we have seen for decades.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:37 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I was working last night so I didn't get to listen to the whole speech. I like the idea of tax breaks for companies who hire the long-term unemployed, I was unemployed for 3 1/2 years and too many of my friends still are.

During that 3 1/2 years of being unemployed I lived and still live in GA the "Georgia Works" program was an epic fail down here we called it the GA not working program, so it does concern me that part of his program is based on it.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The recession was caused by Wall Street, even though the GOP repeats the zombie lie that it was Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac caused the problem, which just isn't so. It was Wall St. greed buying up worthless mortgages, repackaging them as AAA securities and selling them to unsuspecting investors that caused the economic crash, not the government.
You really have your head in the sand.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
With one small twist.

The cost of the jobs plan is estimated at $450 billion. The census bureau reports that there are about 113 million households in the United States:

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Okay, then.

Instead of just handing the cash to a newly-created bureaucracy, and rewarding unions for their support of the Democrats, with the power of the stimulus watered down and chipped away, why not demonstrate some real creativeness and issue each American household a non-transferable voucher -- which MUST be redeemed within one year (or it is no longer valid), and good only for goods, products, or services made in the USA --- for $3982.30 ($450 billion divided by 113 million)?

That way, the money goes to the people who will spend it, depending on their own individual choices and needs. Small and large business will benefit. People will be hired by the private sector. Taxes will be collected. And the entire economy will benefit.

Obama claims that his proposal will benefit each American household by $1500. I have him beat by over two grand!

Good idea? Yes? No? Why?
I don't think that is so. I read his speech and business owners with over 50 employees will save $80k in payroll taxes is all it is.It is not exactly a big incentive to hire anyone.

If you reread the speech all he does is say over and over to "pass this bill". No specifics are given about where the money is coming from.

It is a pretty LAME speech without a lot of content if you ask me.

Here is the actual transcript of the speech: Obama Jobs Speech: September 8 Transcript

Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
With one small twist.

The cost of the jobs plan is estimated at $450 billion. The census bureau reports that there are about 113 million households in the United States:

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Okay, then.

Instead of just handing the cash to a newly-created bureaucracy, and rewarding unions for their support of the Democrats, with the power of the stimulus watered down and chipped away, why not demonstrate some real creativeness and issue each American household a non-transferable voucher -- which MUST be redeemed within one year (or it is no longer valid), and good only for goods, products, or services made in the USA --- for $3982.30 ($450 billion divided by 113 million)?

That way, the money goes to the people who will spend it, depending on their own individual choices and needs. Small and large business will benefit. People will be hired by the private sector. Taxes will be collected. And the entire economy will benefit.

Obama claims that his proposal will benefit each American household by $1500. I have him beat by over two grand!

Good idea? Yes? No? Why?
Pretty lame idea since most of the $400B comes in form of tax cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies