Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawk View Post
They are Obamas tax cut now.
How much is fair? Who decides this and who are classified as the wealthy?
How about the 40+% who pay zero Fed Income tax? What is their fair share?

no one should get by without paying into the system in some way. Fair was something everyone managed to get their heads around during the Clinton Admin when everyone Was paying a good fair share at I believe it was 34% on the upper end, and eveyone was still getting wealthy. Now the wealthy are paying less than they have in the history of the country and still complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
It seems to be cool to blame the President for our situation, but the package he's submitted appears to be a collection of bipartisan efforts and ideas, and I haven't seen anyone else step up with a better solution.

The detractors are getting old in my view. At some point in time one has to stop whining and step up with a plan. I admire President Obama for not lowering himself to the level of the detractors and continuing to try to raise us to join together and solve our problems.

After all, it is WE that got ourselves into this mess. No one held any guns to our heads forcing us to get mortgages we could not afford. It is our fault that we didn't compete with foreign laborers to keep the jobs here. It is we that buy imports.

Perhaps instead of trying to find jobs, we should make our own....

Old 09-09-2011, 08:27 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
But it CAN work with bi-partisan action. We can fix any problem this country has, or has had, or will have....but when big money, the wealthy/powerful owners of this country have free rein.....then you are right, the best days are over. I'm hoping that congress will work together for the betterment of our nation.
To work on what? There's no bill.
Remember the republicans made several proposals and all were rejected by Obama and the democrats? That's some bi-partisan action for you.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
Otherwise WHAT???
I think the idea is: "If you cannot say something constructive, be quiet." Hecklers and whiners are not useful.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:30 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,965 times
Quote:
SHUT UP......I thought that was obvious. What else
I bet you wish Obama was a dictator and the opposition just shut up.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:30 PM

397 posts, read 843,081 times
Quote:
no one should get by without paying into the system in some way. Fair was something everyone managed to get their heads around during the Clinton Admin when everyone Was paying a good fair share at I believe it was 34% on the upper end, and eveyone was still getting wealthy. Now the wealthy are paying less than they have in the history of the country and still complaining.
But they do get by. 40+% at the lower income levels pay ZERO or less in income taxes. That's right, some actually make money after credits and deductions.

The top rate now is 35%.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:33 PM

397 posts, read 843,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
The detractors are getting old in my view. At some point in time one has to stop whining and step up with a plan. .
The republicans in the House passed 2 plans when the debt ceiling debate was going on. Harry Reid tabled them. Would not even allow a vote on them. Remember that?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 PM

865 posts, read 623,055 times
Quote:
No, actually Obamacare IS working already, and will continue to work better as the pieces go into effect. I also agree, that although no repugs voted for it.....they were at the table .....during the entire discussion and many if not MOST of the ideas were Republican ideas incorporated into the plan. Although they were not allowed by the Teabosses, to actually vote for what they put into the bill.
I must say, reading your posts is quite entertaining.

You're joking about this, right? The Republicans got absolutely no say in that bill. There were a few Republicans, who are Physicians, that sent multiple requests to the White House to meet with the president, but none of them even got the courtesy of a response.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM

1,019 posts, read 589,939 times
Quote:
I just rechecked this entire thread, and you didn't proffer anything of the kind. Try again.
Check a few posts above your lie-post and you'll see a response to one of them. Lots of commie-red ink by my "opponent".

Last edited by LaTrang; 09-09-2011 at 10:30 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 09:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
The plan is not based on common sense. Corps cut 8 million jobs, and are still meeting demand. That means they have no reason to add back costs, as they retained revenue while reducing costs, and that increased profit. Its possible to get them when backfilling to hire a long-term vs short-term unemployed, but that does not add jobs vs not using the plan, it just changes who gets the same quantity of jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies