Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 11:43 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Hardly, in this case, since these fake blueberries aren't considered "unhealthy" in the scope which these agencies are charged with protecting health, else all virtually all sugar related products would be illegal (as most of it is not any worse than fake blueberry bits).

The only conceivable area which the government comes into play here with these fake blueberries that can be taken seriously is not the health angle (as they are not to be considered a "health threat" in an credible way whatsoever to anyone that isn't an outright lunatic who is on a pogrom against virtually all sugar [or the good ol' anti-corn syrup lunatics] and thinks sugar is an evil substance hell bent on killing us all - the FDA is not there to placate such idiots), but from a marketing angle in terms of regulating fraudulent advertising (which Republicans are rarely ever against - despite overt partisan misrepresentations to the contrary by the opposing side who straw mans the typical Republican position. Fraud is not taken to be a "free market" transaction by virtually any Republican). Currently, however, they seem to be staying within the lines of not misrepresenting the product (though arguably pushing the line pretty darn close).
You have some homework to do.

Quote:
Such man-made food dyes appear in ingredient lists as a name of a color with a number following it: Blue 1 and 2, Citrus Red 2, Green 3, Red 3 and 40, Yellow 5 and 6
Quote:
The three most widely used culprits—Yellow 5, Yellow 6 and Red 40—contain compounds, including benzidine and 4-aminobiphenyl, that research has linked with cancer.
The Hidden Health Risks of Food Dyes | Eating Well

Adverse Effects of
"Inactive" Ingredients
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 11:44 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
I got a package of blueberries awhile ago. They were actually chocolate covered with a blueberry colored shell (admittedly I didn't look and Safeway had them in the fruit section). Mrs. NBP liked them better than the blueberries she originally had put on the list.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
url=http://www.eatingwell.com/food_news_origins/food_news/the_hidden_health_risks_of_food_dyes]The Hidden Health Risks of Food Dyes | Eating Well[/url]

Adverse Effects of
"Inactive" Ingredients
I'm familiar with the food dye complaints. People have been arguing this, that, and the other ingredient are the hidden scourge for decades. And yet, the government allows it. Why? Because they are "bought and paid for," or because they really don't think it poses a significant enough threat? Maybe a little bit of both.

This goes in the same bin that milk from cows given bovine growth hormones (almost all of them) should go.... which is.... don't think BGH cows are great, but the information is out there... the consumer can make an informed choice, and companies should not misrepresent what they are selling, so the consumer can make that choice what goes in their mouth.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
I'm familiar with the food dye complaints. People have been arguing this, that, and the other ingredient are the hidden scourge for decades. And yet, the government allows it. Why? Because they are "bought and paid for," or because they really don't think it poses a significant enough threat? Maybe a little bit of both.

This goes in the same bin that milk from cows given bovine growth hormones (almost all of them) should go.... which is.... don't think BGH cows are great, but the information is out there... the consumer can make an informed choice, and companies should not misrepresent what they are selling, so the consumer can make that choice what goes in their mouth.
And that almost didn't happen because Monsanto got all upset and got the government behind them when milk cartons started showing the "no BGH hormone" on it. Monsanto lost and ended up selling the hormone to Bayer.

So we almost had no choice because if Monsanto won that labeling would have disappeared.

As far as meat though..you will not know if the meat you are buying has been nuked because the government says there is no difference hence no need for labeling.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:20 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,334,297 times
Did anyone really think that Pop Tarts had real blueberries in them?

Old 09-10-2011, 12:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Why they would be the same people that think Aunt Jemima syrup was maple syrup.

Do you see any maple syrup in this list ?

"INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE"
http://www.auntjemima.com/aj_product...ps/orginal.cfm

Old 09-10-2011, 12:25 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
You mean they don't? I'm suing.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:26 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that almost didn't happen because Monsanto got all upset and got the government behind them when milk cartons started showing the "no BGH hormone" on it. Monsanto lost and ended up selling the hormone to Bayer.

So we almost had no choice because if Monsanto won that labeling would have disappeared.

As far as meat though..you will not know if the meat you are buying has been nuked because the government says there is no difference hence no need for labeling.
Ben and Jerrys ice cream makers had that trouble quite a few years back, if I recall correctly (mid to late 90's). They wanted to market BGH-free ice cream, putting that on the label so consumers could make that choice... and then guess who wasn't happy with that... Apparently others were upset of the implications that that label might have insofar as they were afraid that the consumer might then deduce that the "other products" (which was most of the milk supply, at the time) then have BGH dairy in them which is somehow "tainted" (it is, with BGH). And for whatever reasons that be (afraid to lose market share, whatever the demented motivation was of the various objecting parties), Ben & Jerrys ended up having to fight for the BGH-free label.

Opinions vary why they were given a hassle over the label. A competing theory (naturally advanced by many that were selling the BGH laden stuff) being they couldn't prove the product had BGH-free dairy in it, but between the two theories, I'm not inclined to think the motivation was truly ever based on that scientific minutiae. I think that was just the "spin control" argument. Rather, I think it was clear enough that they were just afraid that the public might think "regular milk" was then somehow tainted, leading to a backlash against BGH milk. Never happened, but one might suppose they were initially afraid of that happening.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:32 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Has to do with the Republican efforts to deregulate, advance free market capitalism, and prioritize profits over health. Surely you can connect those close dots!
Like I said previously,.....I've never met a happy liberal,...jojajn included.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Like I said previously,.....I've never met a happy liberal,...jojajn included.
If you are happy with fake food that is deleterious to your body, have at it!

As for me, I have higher expectations for what is called food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies