Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,380,586 times

Advertisements

Call it, "The World Trade Center" - Just as it was before the attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 12:30 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,275,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Call it, "The World Trade Center" - Just as it was before the attack.
Didn't it move somewhere else?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:48 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,503,460 times
I've never been a fan of named buildings; real addresses are always my preference. So, as a native New Yorker, I'm quite happy with 1 World Trade Center. (We should all be thankful that there wasn't a bidding war among corporations for the naming rights...because it could just as easily have been named for Ronald McDonald or--heaven forbid--Wal-Mart).

Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,599,064 times
Why are we reseting the target for some future maniac? Do we need another reason to go to war?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 AM

88,206 posts, read 84,076,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I've never been a fan of named buildings; real addresses are always my preference. So, as a native New Yorker, I'm quite happy with 1 World Trade Center. (We should all be thankful that there wasn't a bidding war among corporations for the naming rights...because it could just as easily have been named for Ronald McDonald or--heaven forbid--Wal-Mart).
I'm with you. Mysteriously, there are some boneheads out there who see the name One World Trade Center as a nefarious indicator of a new world order.

I always wonder a) Why they didn't seem to think that about the original One World Trade Center, which after the attacks became more commonly known as "the north tower", and b) what the nefarious meaning is behind the other three towers being built at the WTC; namely, Two, Three and Four World Trade Center.

Just for the sake of trivia, I can remember the old engineers who'd worked on the original construction referring to the towers as Tower A and Tower B. That must have been the identifier on the original drawings, but seems to have gone out of use.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,391,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I've never been a fan of named buildings; .

I agree

look at the "Pan Am" building or the "sears" tower...or the "woolworth" building.or the "RCA" building..... no longer those names

Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 AM

5,431 posts, read 5,662,485 times
It was only called the Freedom tower in the media anyway. All the locals I know always used its street address - One World Trade Center.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,049,916 times
It probably should've been called the World Trade Center just like the first buildings were. Moreover, they should've been reconstructed to look EXACTLY like the old towers did.

This "Freedom Tower" stuff is a load of bullsh*t. I don't even know how those idiots came up with such a stupid ass name.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,049,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Name it Founder's Tower, dedicated to the Founders of the United States and the principles embodied in the Constitution. And the building of a nation.

It could represent both Freedom and Whip the Chinese, in both spirit and intent.
Founder's Tower is just as silly as Freedom Tower. Neither name makes any sense whatsoever. The building hasn't a damn thing to do with the Founder's OR the Constitution.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,408,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
What's easier to say and remember?

Freedom Tower
One World Trade Center

Freedom Tower in NYC gets name change - US news - Security - msnbc.com

From the article:
"As we market the building, we will ensure that it is presented in the best possible way — and 1 World Trade Center is the address that we're using," said Coscia. "It's the one that is easiest for people to identify with — and frankly, we've gotten a very interested and warm reception to it."

Really!? Not I.

From the article:
The newspapers said the change came after board members voted to sign a 21-year lease deal with Vantone, a Chinese real estate giant, which will become the first commercial tenant at Ground Zero.

Reader comment:
Nevertheless, it must be difficult to call it Freedom Tower when the first tenant is affiliated with a Communist country.

Something is not right here. I prefer Freedom Tower. It signifies strength of spirit.
Why not call it Tyranny Tower? After all that is what we have today. We haven't had Freedom for 11 years. Besides, with the two "ts" you have alliteration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies