Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 07:26 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

The US media and government (official 9/11 report) will only give Americans the 'information' they want Americans to know, nothing more.
The 10th anniversary of 9/11 will be a horrible day, except for the flag wavers, fear mongers, and political and religious exploiters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I agree with OP. I have no desire to revisit those memories, and will try to avoid the coverage of it if I can.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly, the day is irrevocably etched into my mind and heart, and I would rather not relive the trauma all over again. As I rapidly approach my 60th year, I just feel that I've experienced more than my share of American tragedies non of which require a weeks worth of 24/7 media on steroids reminders.

Just as an example, I was in DC for a couple of meetings and made the "mistake" of driving along the National Mall, past the MLK memorial, the Vietnam Memorial before making a wrong turn and finding myself in front of the Arlington Cemetery where I foolishly decided to go up to the Tomb of the Unknown, which of course required me to pass the the rows of military dead and the JFK gravesite. PTSD just won't allow me to handle much more.
I wouldn't say I'm all that terribly emotional about it. It was ten years ago.

Anniversaries are more or less arbitrary things anyway, they only have the significance we give them. I think it more appropriate to mark the day with some quiet reflection than all this melodramatic and sometimes nationalistic and maudlin nonsense.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
My family will spend the day doing volunteer work for veterans to honor the anniversary of 9/11.

You can spend you time and energy with negativity whining about how others choose to spend their time (which really doesn't concern you anyway) or you can try to make something positive about it.

You probably have no problem with "Bachelor Pad" or "Toddlers and Tiaras", but you feel the need to start a thread about honoring heroes like those on United 93? Baffling.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My family will spend the day doing volunteer work for veterans to honor the anniversary of 9/11.

You can spend you time and energy with negativity whining about how others choose to spend their time (which really doesn't concern you anyway) or you can try to make something positive about it.

You probably have no problem with "Bachelor Pad" or "Toddlers and Tiaras", but you feel the need to start a thread about honoring heroes like those on United 93? Baffling.
Yes, I have also wondered if there will be a ceremony to honor the scrap metal that was hauled away from the Shanksville site.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:04 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I wouldn't say I'm all that terribly emotional about it. It was ten years ago.

Anniversaries are more or less arbitrary things anyway, they only have the significance we give them. I think it more appropriate to mark the day with some quiet reflection than all this melodramatic and sometimes nationalistic and maudlin nonsense.
Perhaps a poster of Dick Cheney, with the towers collapsing behind him, should be posted at all the airports - you know - to remind people why TSA is groping them.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly, the day is irrevocably etched into my mind and heart, and I would rather not relive the trauma all over again. As I rapidly approach my 60th year, I just feel that I've experienced more than my share of American tragedies non of which require a weeks worth of 24/7 media on steroids reminders.

Just as an example, I was in DC for a couple of meetings and made the "mistake" of driving along the National Mall, past the MLK memorial, the Vietnam Memorial before making a wrong turn and finding myself in front of the Arlington Cemetery where I foolishly decided to go up to the Tomb of the Unknown, which of course required me to pass the the rows of military dead and the JFK gravesite. PTSD just won't allow me to handle much more.
If America is good at anything, it's memorials and commemorations. We're obsessed with it as a nation. I'm tired of it myself and i try to ignore it as much as i can.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Having arguments with yourself though, is telling.
Honey, the only one arguing here would be yourself.
And not even an on-topic argument.
That is telling.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:36 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy
who is going to give us money?
Thats the problem. We put money in head of people.

Quote:
the great thing about america is FREEDOM..... YOU can make a voluntary choice now, and others can as well.
Its not FREEDOM when an employer forces you, and threatens you with termination, to work on those days. There is little to no voluntary choice for the worker.
But the employer rarely ever works those days. So who really has the freedom??

Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Thats the problem. We put money in head of people.

Its not FREEDOM when an employer forces you, and threatens you with termination, to work on those days. There is little to no voluntary choice for the worker.
But the employer rarely ever works those days. So who really has the freedom??
Those wut got lotsa money, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies