Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly, the day is irrevocably etched into my mind and heart, and I would rather not relive the trauma all over again. As I rapidly approach my 60th year, I just feel that I've experienced more than my share of American tragedies non of which require a weeks worth of 24/7 media on steroids reminders.

Just as an example, I was in DC for a couple of meetings and made the "mistake" of driving along the National Mall, past the MLK memorial, the Vietnam Memorial before making a wrong turn and finding myself in front of the Arlington Cemetery where I foolishly decided to go up to the Tomb of the Unknown, which of course required me to pass the the rows of military dead and the JFK gravesite. PTSD just won't allow me to handle much more.
PTSD is hard to deal with, my dad had it. I hear you regarding tragedy: and Im sure at Penn Station they sell souveniers, etc anything for a buck....it becomes too much to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly, the day is irrevocably etched into my mind and heart, and I would rather not relive the trauma all over again. As I rapidly approach my 60th year, I just feel that I've experienced more than my share of American tragedies non of which require a weeks worth of 24/7 media on steroids reminders.

Just as an example, I was in DC for a couple of meetings and made the "mistake" of driving along the National Mall, past the MLK memorial, the Vietnam Memorial before making a wrong turn and finding myself in front of the Arlington Cemetery where I foolishly decided to go up to the Tomb of the Unknown, which of course required me to pass the the rows of military dead and the JFK gravesite. PTSD just won't allow me to handle much more.
Guess what - we agree on something.

I am never in favor of celebrating defeats.

I don't want to relive what happened over and over again. I am just not going to do it.

Moment of silence, a few stories - OK.

All of the images of the horrific day - no thanks.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:44 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
I just breath easier when the 9/11 anniversaries are over with. I wouldn't go to a 9/11 memorial service if you paid me because I can't get it out of my head that it will happen again on that date...I guess in that respect the terrorists have won, if enough other people feel the same way.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:45 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
We should never forget!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
we should never forget!
+1

Old 09-08-2011, 02:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,896 times
I could do without it.

Us crying over 9/11 is the equivalent of the biggest bully in the world breaking down into tears over a splinter.

3000 people? more die from aspirin every year. I'm sick of the sobfest, let it go.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I think it's commercialized is why. The same reason why people are annoyed around the holidays. It doesn't seem sincere, not to mention that it is true that people need to move on, it's a part of life. There's a reason why a whole nation doesn't mourn every single casualty of every tragedy we've ever had.
I agree. Also, I think certain people in power love to keep regurgitating it to remind us how much we 'need' the govt and military to protect us from [insert boogeyman flavor of the day here].

Old 09-08-2011, 02:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
I could do without it.

Us crying over 9/11 is the equivalent of the biggest bully in the world breaking down into tears over a splinter.

3000 people? more die from aspirin every year. I'm sick of the sobfest, let it go.
A moment of silence=sobfest?
Not quite.
No one is making you watch the coverage.
Although maybe they should.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
I could do without it.

So 9/11 was on par with being a "splinter" injury in the face of all the "so-called" evil that the USA has done around the world.

Why don't you go dig up Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein and take turns laying in the grave with them.

Che Guevara called - he wants his beret back.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
Quote:
I could do without it.

Wow you're real heartless. If you can't see the difference between death being natural, death from asprin however that happens, and a terrorist attack, something is wrong.

I hope no one sheds a tear when you're gone. Almost 3,000 civilians died that year, which is different from 4k soldiers that we lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies