Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly, the day is irrevocably etched into my mind and heart, and I would rather not relive the trauma all over again. As I rapidly approach my 60th year, I just feel that I've experienced more than my share of American tragedies non of which require a weeks worth of 24/7 media on steroids reminders.

Just as an example, I was in DC for a couple of meetings and made the "mistake" of driving along the National Mall, past the MLK memorial, the Vietnam Memorial before making a wrong turn and finding myself in front of the Arlington Cemetery where I foolishly decided to go up to the Tomb of the Unknown, which of course required me to pass the the rows of military dead and the JFK gravesite. PTSD just won't allow me to handle much more.
We take tragedy and the threat of terror again very seriously. If we forget we are doomed to repeat bad history.
NY needs this to vent as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
We take tragedy and the threat of terror again very seriously. If we forget we are doomed to repeat bad history.
NY needs this to vent as well.
NY does little else besides vent.

This sad event has been mouthed to death.

We need to shut up and man up.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:54 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yea.....he is alive and well and partying with Elvis as we speak.
I'm not saying he's not dead - I'm just saying he's
not in the ground... roll eyes much

Last edited by pollyrobin; 09-08-2011 at 08:07 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't need to see his remains to know he's dead. At one time I wanted to see them, (pictures exist), but today I really don't care.
I still would like to see pics.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
If you wanna debate that nonsense, please go dig up one of the gabillion threads about it, dont hijack this thread.
I'm not debating factual info:
OBL is buried at sea.
No pic has been made public of OBL's dead body.
And yes, I've had enough of 9/11 anniversaries,
except I feel for the families, and I'm
sure it continues for them.

Having arguments with yourself though, is telling.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:09 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'm not saying he's not dead - I'm just saying he's
not in the ground... roll eyes much
Not really.....only when appropriate.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Oh 9/11
how many ways to exploit the day?
Back-to-school sales are over. If only America's retailers could promote a follow up to that with 9/11 Sales. Buy a Patriot Act wardrobe! 40% off! All TVs 40% off! Get a lump in your throat, a tear in your eye, and rush to the store now!
i just watched the national geographic special on 9-11 so it is fresh in my mind.

you might not have written your post if you had just seen it also. i saw people having to choose to jump or burn to end their lives. i saw people on the airplanes telling their family members they loved them, and one guy even told his dad not to worry because it would be quick if he died. i saw firefighters rushing up the stairs to save people as others were rushing down the stairs to save themselves. there are thousands of individual tragedies in the 9-11 story.

as well, it was a tragedy that altered the way that americans now live-and it has not been an improvement.

we are now subject to violations by the TSA, spying through the patriot act, and other infringements on our own liberties because of what some deranged men chose to do to innocent americans that day.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
Personally, I'm not looking forward to it but I think it might be cathartic to remember that awful day.

I cannot get behind "we have to move on, it's not the worst thing that's happened, it's 3,000+ lives, whatever" because as other have detailed it was indeed a world-changing event. We do not live in the same world as we did on 9/10/01.

But at the same time, I'm not going to try to tell anyone else how they should deal with it. It is like grieving; everyone does it in a different way.
If you need to push it aside for you and move on, do so.
If you need to dwell, to sink in those feelings once again, do so.

I can't tell you what's right for you, just as you can't tell me what's right for me.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
The opening of the National 9/11 Memorial is adding to the media coverage this year. I think after this tenth anniversary, things will probably calm down somewhat.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Eventually, the Government wants you to understand that it doesn't matter whether the Government itself did 9/11, or that some outside terrorists did it.

The important thing is not who did, but rather, that it was done.

At the time of the event, it was important who did it.

But, that's not important anymore.

Now, can't we just put this behind us and move forward?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies