Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times

Advertisements

Grandparents day is the first Sunday after Labor day and has been since 1978. Federal that is, was a state holiday in Virginia before that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That's true. I have a calendar which has those little-known holidays. Tomorrow is Chocolate Milkshake Day (really, not kidding).
Here in New England a milk shake is called a frappe. We do have these things we called "milk shakes" but I think they're made without ice cream

Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Not like he declared June a LGBT month or anything like.....Oh!, He did!

I don't think many grandparents would approve of that.
JUNE GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE MONTH
On June 2, 2000, former President William J. Clinton designated the month of June as Gay and Lesbian Pride month, encouraging Americans to recognize "the joys and sorrows that the gay and lesbian movement has witnessed and the work that remains to be done. Clinton proclaimed that observing Gay and Lesbian Pride Month is one way to "celebrate the progress we have made in creating a society more inclusive and accepting of gays and lesbians." Gay and Lesbian issues are important to everyone, for in the words of former President Clinton, they are "our colleagues and neighbors, daughters and sons, sisters and brothers, friends and partners." Observing Gay and Lesbian Pride Month is one step to understanding our differences and creating a truly inclusive society where gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and all Americans, are afforded equal rights.

Source: The White House, Office of the Press Secretary, Press Release, June 2, 2002
Federal Heritage Month Celebrations

Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 PM

June 2002 that would have been Bush's Press Secretary

Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Obama might be running just a bit off of the rails me thinks

Quote:
National Grandparents Day is a secular holiday celebrated in the United States since 1978 and officially recognized in a number of countries on various days of the year, either as one holiday or sometimes as a separate Grandmothers Day and Grandfathers Day
It's hard to imagine our having a President that is as detached from reality as this .. sort of makes you wonder.

Of course, could we really ever expect to get anything more from a President elected from the entitlement class? .. The man opens his mouth and stupidity falls out.

Mr Obama should really get a handle on that depersonalization disorder of his ..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Isn't this unfair to grandchildren? When is their day?
Everyday is grandchildrens' day

As had been pointed out, this 'Hallmark' holiday has fallen on the second Sunday in September since it was declared. So, it happened to fall on Sept. 11th this year. It's not a conspiracy. People actually still have birthdays on Sept. 11th - my mother (RIP) would have celebrated her 81st.

It is rather astonishing how every single little thing, no matter how innocuous, has become grist for the "I hate Obama" crowd.
Oh, well.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
I didn't see any declaration from the White House denouncing the terrorist attacks from the great orator is why I was wondering why this grandparents day thing. I guess the plan is to not teach the children what transpired as that would be against all this multiculturalism going on.
Wow. Talk about jumping the shark.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
I've insulted nobody. I was attacked and pointed it out. Pretty simple stuff unless you read with your left eye.
So you may not use your left eye... but nobody needs to be insulted or attacked, when you did the job well, insulting and attacking yourself with this thread. But since you're still unaware, others have only tried to help you realize what you (I feel) still don't.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Jeez, doesn't anyone in this thread remember why George Bush was reading a book to school children on September 9th, at the exact time the Twin Towers were attacked? Hint: it was grandparent's day. Proclaiming September 9th grandparent's day is nothing new...unless you're black and someone wants to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies