Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
IMO, it is a method of gaining power. Scare the people into granting whatever the government wants. Expanding powers, limiting civil rights or just giving up some of their freedoms. A classic manuver of the government brought to new heights by 0-bama and his crowd by their saying everything is urgent or an emergency. If it benefits him.
You are kidding, right?

Who thought up the Patriot Act?

Who scared the country with it's bogus intellegence that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and had to be invaded?

Short term memory..VERY short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You are kidding, right?

Who thought up the Patriot Act?

Who scared the country with it's bogus intellegence that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and had to be invaded?

Short term memory..VERY short.
You are absolutely right.
The Patriot Act is Bush's baby.

I was so mad at Obama because he pointed out that he didn't vote for the Patriot Act and would not extend it when elected. This is why I said he lied.

As for Bush, he is a scumbag too, but at least he doesn't hold any current office.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Oh, when did the president declare a state of emergency? I'm pretty sure I would have heard about it.

You left a link from some website that was written in 2000, Obama wasn't even president, yet.
Apparently there is some part about Obama continuing the state of emergency that is unclear? Or do you believe this POTUS is not to be held accountable for any of his actions while in office or as Commander-in-Chief. The US has been operating under a "state of emergency" for better than 2/3rds of a century. Thus, it would seem you are the one who is ill informed, not the OP.

Under Obama's definition of "war" the US could drop nukes all over the globe and as long as boots on the ground were not revealed by the MSM we would not be "at war".

Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
IMO, it is a method of gaining power. Scare the people into granting whatever the government wants. Expanding powers, limiting civil rights or just giving up some of their freedoms. A classic manuver of the government brought to new heights by 0-bama and his crowd by their saying everything is urgent or an emergency. If it benefits him.
Vote Ron Paul in the primaries for 2012!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
According to the Internal Revenue Service, 65% of all metal ore mining in the U.S. is under foreign ownership. It has been that way since 2002.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:57 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Well if Obama is a dictator he sure wasted his time addressing Congress about a jobs bill when he could have just "dictated" his policy into action.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
You are absolutely right.
The Patriot Act is Bush's baby.

I was so mad at Obama because he pointed out that he didn't vote for the Patriot Act and would not extend it when elected. This is why I said he lied.

As for Bush, he is a scumbag too, but at least he doesn't hold any current office.
I also was very disappointed when Obama extended the Patriot Act, and also the Bush tax cuts.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Obama didn't do it alone. There was also a Congress involved.

Yes, I know, there is probably some good reason why. Just like there is some good reason for the TSA. And some good reason for a lot of things to "protect us.,"

Did you ever stop and think they might not be telling us everything. It's a concern, I reckon. Would you really want to know if they had stopped a terrorist from poisoning an entire town? I think we live in a world of the tail wagging the dog. We only see things when something like that underwear bomber happens. Something that can't be explained away. I mean, would you really want to know how many sleeper cells were here right now, ready to blow some stuff up? I think many would be happier to believe it's not possible in the U.S.A.

I know the Patriot Act is for tracking people who might be terrorists. I want to believe that would be its sole use. I'm not naive enough to think that is really the case. It's been used to bust more drug dealers than anything else, and actually, I do know one thing - it's a bad law. It runs contrary to what America stands for. I can't rail at Bush for "torture" and not rail at Obama & Congress for this. This is a bad law.

Damn it, Obama.

Patriot Act extension: Temporary Patriot Act extension gets Congress' OK - latimes.com

"We cannot afford to leave our intelligence officials without the tools they need to keep America safe," said Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.
But civil liberties advocates said the provisions lack proper privacy safeguards. Foreshadowing the coming debate, Republicans said they want to make the law permanent, while liberties groups will press for continued expiration dates to ensure congressional oversight.

The three expiring provisions authorize federal officials to use so-called roving wiretaps to keep track of unidentified suspects as they move from place to place and device to device; to obtain library records and other personal information; and to follow foreigners who have no known terrorism connections. All such surveillance activities require court orders.
The Justice Department called the provisions "essential" and urged Congress not to let them expire, as would have happened at the end of the month had Congress not acted.

Obama Renews PATRIOT Act - YouTube

• I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
That's my plan. If he doesn't get the nomination, I'll just sit out the election.

After looking at most democrats and republicans these days, I've determined the only difference is that they disagree only on HOW they plan to spend us into oblivion and which avenue they choose to try and control every single aspect of my life.

I'm not sure if Ron Paul would live long enough to actually bring any fixes though because I couldn't help but notice that for over a century and a half, any politico who seriously challenges the powers-that-be ends up in a box.

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy nut but I am rather good at math and at some point the number of coincidences starts becoming more and more statistically unlikely.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
He is interesting, but I don't agree with his 'open borders' policy of allowing anyone to enter the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies