Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Is there any mention of energy distribution or power load? I seriously doubt those plants were generating "surplus" electric energy.

One of the potential issues here is increased brown-outs, rolling brown-outs/black-outs and longer down-time when traffic accidents or weather events cause loss of power.

I used to live in an area where we had many black-outs due to traffic accidents and weather lasting 40 minutes to as much as 16 hours. When they built another generation station, we still had black-outs, but they were 3 minutes to 4 hours (with 20 to 30 minutes being typical). They were able to re-route power from the other station through different sub-stations.
For every coal plant Obama's EPA shuts down the people in the area will suffer from loss of power like you describe. In Texas that last EPA order closed down 5 plants and in New England it did the same thing. I am sure that Lisa Jackson knows what kind of discomfort power failures of any kind causes among those who lose their power. That tells me that they are doing this for more than to keep the air clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Maybe we should cut funding to the EPA and give it to this power plant operator to add additional emmissions control equipment to their facility. Spending money to fix problems makes more sense that funding an organization that simply fines and regulates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? I thought they looked just alike.
Even under their skin they don't look alike since one is tall and thin and the other shorter and blockier built

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I didn't know that lawsuits filed by the sierra club and declarations by the EPA were evidence for anything other than blowing political smoke up peoples arse?

*chuckle*

Yeah, you debunked all right!!
Let me highlight something for you, more than three sentences seem to tax your abilities.

Luminant - Cross-State Air Pollution Rule (CSAPR)
Today, Luminant issued a press release regarding the EPA's Cross-State Air Pollution Rule. In response, EPA Assistant Administrator issued this statement:

"The Cross State Air Pollution Rule will prevent tens of thousands of premature deaths and thousands of asthma attacks by ensuring Americans do not have to breathe pollution emitted by facilities in other states.

Prior to announcing this important rule, EPA did extensive outreach to industry to ensure there were an array of compliance options, and in recent weeks, we have continued to work specifically with Luminant, making the Administrator, Deputy Administrator and EPA technical staff available to assess their needs and continue to ensure they have options to meet these important new standards – including exploring additional flexibility for the company and encouraging more reliance on technologies the company has already installed. As recently as yesterday EPA offered to share additional information that shows the potential for a no-shut down, no-layoff solution for statewide compliance. It is unfortunate that company leadership rushed to a decision that needlessly puts their workers' jobs at risk.
EPA's Region 6 News and Events | US Environmental Protection Agency

Directly from the EPA, try again later.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
They have been on the thin raggedy edge for months. No great loss. We do not need any more coal plants. Natural gas is better.
How long will it take for those coal fired electric plants to retool to get to the use of natural gas? I bet it couldn't possibly be overnight but EPA doesn't think about that since their boss has told them what to do.

I keep wondering how many left leaners even have any idea how much Obama has done through the EPA to achieve what he wanted from Cap and Trade. He knows that he is using the agency to achieve all those things that Congress wouldn't hand him.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Let me highlight something for you, more than three sentences seem to tax your abilities.

Luminant - Cross-State Air Pollution Rule (CSAPR)
Today, Luminant issued a press release regarding the EPA's Cross-State Air Pollution Rule. In response, EPA Assistant Administrator issued this statement:

"The Cross State Air Pollution Rule will prevent tens of thousands of premature deaths and thousands of asthma attacks by ensuring Americans do not have to breathe pollution emitted by facilities in other states.

Prior to announcing this important rule, EPA did extensive outreach to industry to ensure there were an array of compliance options, and in recent weeks, we have continued to work specifically with Luminant, making the Administrator, Deputy Administrator and EPA technical staff available to assess their needs and continue to ensure they have options to meet these important new standards – including exploring additional flexibility for the company and encouraging more reliance on technologies the company has already installed. As recently as yesterday EPA offered to share additional information that shows the potential for a no-shut down, no-layoff solution for statewide compliance. It is unfortunate that company leadership rushed to a decision that needlessly puts their workers' jobs at risk.
EPA's Region 6 News and Events | US Environmental Protection Agency

Directly from the EPA, try again later.

The EPA is not a valid means of a source. They are a political activist agency, one who has been found guilty of using faulty reports and often uses "evidence" of citation from sources to which consistently are found to be invalid.

Sorry, but using the EPA's claims as evidence to the actions of EPA... well... why not come in and use the murder suspects testimony as evidence to the claim that the victim is guilty? The EPA? They are thugs, always have been, always will be.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
2012 can't come soon enough...
Will we be voting that fall? I will believe it the day I walk in and am handed my ballots. I still say he has it planned so he can declare martial law and therefore do away with elections next year.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
These aging dirty refineries and power plants expose thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Americans to chemicals that cause cancer, asthma, COPD and other health problems that really do a number on ones life. It is time the GOP took responsibility for being Americas Carcinoma Party. It is time we cleaned up this crap.
How cold or hot will you have to be, depending on the time of year, before you stop standing up for this destruction of our major source of electric power>

Old 09-12-2011, 09:25 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
The arguement is that air pollution generated in one state crosses state lines and negatively effects people in other states. Lets think about that. The pollution is generated during the creation of electricity. If the pollution caused by it's creation can not be allowed to cross state lines, why should the power generated in one state be allowed to cross state lines? Those that want to eliminate the means of electric production should be the first to do without power.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The EPA is not a valid means of a source. They are a political activist agency, one who has been found guilty of using faulty reports and often uses "evidence" of citation from sources to which consistently are found to be invalid.

Sorry, but using the EPA's claims as evidence to the actions of EPA... well... why not come in and use the murder suspects testimony as evidence to the claim that the victim is guilty? The EPA? They are thugs, always have been, always will be.
LOL at you!!!...so now the EPA is not a credible source. LOL!!

Please remove the tinfoil hat slowly, it can cut you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies