Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I agree, Obama does not set gas prices. But he wants to raise their taxes. That will directly impact gas and heating oil prices.

So by raising taxes, he is increasing the price of gas and oil.

It's really quite simple.
Not simple enough for lefties to understand, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The oil companies possess the thumb screws and they have a handy scapegoat to rake in more profits.
Most people pay far more in taxes than they do to the oil companies. Where is this liberal outrage against that?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:34 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Yup, I got what I asked for & guess what, I'm asking for 4 more yrs, only thing is, I ain't complaining.
I voted for Obama and, compared to the other ticket, I don't think I had any other choice. However, I'm not sure I got what I expected, although I still think he was the best choice. However, he definitely said during his campaign it would take more than 4 years to fix the economy. I specifically remember someone asking him that question during a debate. Most people have no idea that we were headed for a great depression. As bad as it is now, and it's really bad, it could be a lot worse.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Obama's proposal to raise taxes on energy companies will directly impact the price at the pump. And this price increase will disproportionately impact poor and middle class Americans.... many who cannot afford higher gasoline prices.

Thanks Mr President for raising our cost of living again.
Once again violating one of his campaign promises he wants to do that dirty trick. I guess he has noticed that gasoline prices have been coming down and can't stand to have that.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I voted for Obama and, compared to the other ticket, I don't think I had any other choice. However, I'm not sure I got what I expected, although I still think he was the best choice. However, he definitely said during his campaign it would take more than 4 years to fix the economy. I specifically remember someone asking him that question during a debate. Most people have no idea that we were headed for a great depression. As bad as it is now, and it's really bad, it could be a lot worse.

Or it could be a lot better. Yes, some people think we were headed for a depression, but we will never know. Most think that was highly unlikely.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Obama released the oil reserves to lower the gas prices, but big oil cut off the spigots to keep the prices sky high to counter. OPEC controls oil prices, not the white house. Big oil and the republicans want gas at only one place, HIGH.
Nice try, but Obama did say that he wouldn't raise taxes on anybody who made less that $250,000. Of course, now he can say that he meant only income taxes and didn't realize that taxes on fuel were also taxes. You must be as simple as he is if you don't understand that raising taxes, especially this one can cause much pain among, especially poor and middle class people. Anything to get more money out of their hands to redistribute to the non-productive people is fair in his eyes and I guess in yours.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
with due respect, he hasn't enacted any policy to help the economy-not one.

everything he has done has hurt the private sector and impoverished the country.

all of that interest that we have to pay on all this spending is money that could be spent taking care of our citizens.

all of that wasted war money and foreign aid is money that could have been spent taking care of our citizens.

he has done nothing to help the jobless rate and, in fact, will do nothing. he is encouraging illegal immigrants because he is pandering to hispanics. (i bet a lot of working hispanics are sick of lower wages also).

it's pretty simple-with high unemployment and lower wages you literally aren't going to have enough money collected to take care of all the rising social needs that you are faced with. i just saw a statistic that hispanics have the most children in poverty-more than whites even now, and they are a smaller portion of the population. i think i saw that 1/3 of the children are living in poverty.

none of this is good for america now, and even worse going forward.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Type in "Obama gas tax" on google and nothing comes up as of late.

Maybe Obama should tax hot air from city-data threads instead.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:02 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Is there a link for that somewhere? Taxing "energy" companies won't necessarily translate into higher prices at the pump. It could translate into things like higher heating costs. Here in Ohio we had a lot of what we call "utility" foreclosures. Duke Energy raised the rate 30% (all at once) and that caused people to get behind on gas and electric bills, then their gas and electric was shut off, so they just walked away from the McMansion.
The EPA has been enacting a lot of new regulations on coal-fired electric power plants, and those regulations will increase their costs of doing business, which means our electricity rates will increase as well. Whatever it takes for 0bama to increase the prices of energy, to make the high costs of green energy look more appealing.

0bama is well aware that he is driving up the costs for electricity, its a part of his plan, he told us that before the 2008 election.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:05 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
actually obama spelled out pretty much what he was going to do, but people didn't want to listen:

Obama and his carbon tax - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies