Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 10:59 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,806,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Ok, just for an example.
Medication costs $200,000 a year, misc testing and whatnot costs another $50,000 a year. There are only around 6000 peoe who have this disorder. How much do you feelthey should pay?
Perhaps you are asking the wrong questions. Why does your medication cost $200,000/year and why are your tests so expensive? Look at the lengthy process, licensing, fees, etc... the USDA charges companies to bring medical technologies and new medications to market. It costs $billions for each new medical technology and each new drug just to get it approved through the USDA. Cut the bureaucracy and the costs of the above would be dramatically less.

Yes, it stinks that people with poorer health should not be able to make others pay for their costs. Seriously?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:04 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,854,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. Unlike car or home insurance, health care is a basic human necessity.
Setting aside my disagreement with your position for a moment, I have to point out that the question was about health INSURANCE, not health CARE.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

Why is it that people (almost exclusively on the left of the political spectrum) can't seem to grasp the idea that health insurance does not equal health care? What is it about that concept that's so difficult for the left-wing thinkers to understand???

Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,613,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes. This is from a physician who is uninsureable outside of a larger group practice due to pre-existing conditions. For me, it is not a big deal, as I can work through a larger organization. For others who cannot, it is an extreme hardship as result of an illness that they incurred through no fault of their own.

Insurance is supposed to be a pooled, shared risk. There will be "winners" and "losers" in that system, but the system survives paying for the higher cost patients by insuring lower cost patients as well.
Agree 100%.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,806,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Setting aside my disagreement with your position for a moment, I have to point out that the question was about health INSURANCE, not health CARE.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!

Why is it that people (almost exclusively on the left of the political spectrum) can't seem to grasp the idea that health insurance does not equal health care? What is it about that concept that's so difficult for the left-wing thinkers to understand???
For the same reason that some people think that paying an insurance premium should resolve them of all personal responsiblity for anything not covered or exceeding the parameters of their insurance. It is called an entitlement mentality.

Insurance is simply a safety net. It is not a bottomless bank account.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,365,203 times
If you don't have health insurance, you can't get adequate health care. That's why it matters.

I'm not a liberal.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM

201 posts, read 468,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. Unlike car or home insurance, health care is a basic human necessity.
This is why we have such a problem. People like this gentleman think heath care and heath insurance are the same thing. BS on the attitude you cant get good heath care by paying cash as you go. I have done it with 5000K deductible for years, family of 4.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,552,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Perhaps you are asking the wrong questions. Why does your medication cost $200,000/year and why are your tests so expensive? Look at the lengthy process, licensing, fees, etc... the USDA charges companies to bring medical technologies and new medications to market. It costs $billions for each new medical technology and each new drug just to get it approved through the USDA. Cut the bureaucracy and the costs of the above would be dramatically less.

Yes, it stinks that people with poorer health should not be able to make others pay for their costs. Seriously?
It costs that much because there is only one manufacturer. There is only one manufacturer because it's a lengthy and expensive process to make the drug and most companies simply don't want to deal with it. not enough profit to be made. My drug is manufactured here and finished in Ireland and since it's for a rare and life threatening disorder there was almost no red tape to go through. I was shocked at how quickly it was rushed through the testig phases before being distributed.

Although, I don't really understand what the dept of agriculture has to do with it, perhaps you meant the FDA?

As for your last little snippet, what do you think people in my situation should do? I have no alternative for the medicine, no other companies are interested in making it, and it's far too expensive for me to purchase out of pocket. Should I simply accept my fate? What would you do of one of your children (real or hypothetical) were to get diagnosed with something similar?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,552,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2az2id View Post
This is why we have such a problem. People like this gentleman think heath care and heath insurance are the same thing. BS on the attitude you cant get good heath care by paying cash as you go. I have done it with 5000K deductible for years, family of 4.
Not everyone can pay for costs out of pocket. You've obviously been pretty lucky so far... some aren't and require extra care.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,380,047 times
Quote:
Should "Pre-Existing" conditions be covered under regular insurance?
not with out extra charges

if you have lots of tickets/accidents your auto insurance (IF YOU CAN GET IT) will cost more

INSURANCE is based on RISK

insurance is a form of risk management primarily used to hedge against the risk of a contingent, uncertain loss

also brings about the word Insurability

Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,380,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
If you don't have health insurance, you can't get adequate health care. That's why it matters.

I'm not a liberal.
not true at all

open up the yellow pages..look up physician..then go

you can get the greatest care...its a service...just PAY for the service YOU GOT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies