Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 AM

336 posts, read 908,546 times

Advertisements

Some real Shock and Awe: Racially profiled and cuffed in Detroit | Stories from the Heartland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
You have a link to a real news website that doesn't trigger my internet security settings?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Are these the three people who would not come out of the bathroom when the plane was landing?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:48 PM

18 posts, read 39,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You have a link to a real news website that doesn't trigger my internet security settings?
There is a link at the bottom of that page with the source of this "news."

No charges against 3 detained at Detroit airport - Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011 | 4:12 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun (http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/sep/11/us-airline-passengers-detained/ - broken link)

Does that work better for your security settings?

Hope that helped.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:51 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Whole story: Half arabic, half jewish girl gets racially profiled at Detroit Metro airport. It's not so much newsworthy as it just pointing out the flaws of this country. Homeland security is interrogating Arabs on airplanes while the city of Detroit struggles to keep people from shooting each other. It's like what are we really trying to protect here?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
I feel bad for the people whose rights are infringed on, but frankly I am glad that they are finally doing some profiling. Although I do not mind if they search and detain me too occasiionally, it makes no sense for them to be wasting time searching a 90 year old granny from Minnesota.

I found the story to be hard to believe or at least it seemed exaggerated. Does anyone know whether it is confirmed? Did TSA or whomever was involved admit this? Did they deny it? It seems like this would be more widely reported if it could be verified.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM

18 posts, read 39,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I feel bad for the people whose rights are infringed on, but frankly I am glad that they are finally doing some profiling. Although I do not mind if they search and detain me too occasiionally, it makes no sense for them to be wasting time searching a 90 year old granny from Minnesota.

I found the story to be hard to believe or at least it seemed exaggerated. Does anyone know whether it is confirmed? Did TSA or whomever was involved admit this? Did they deny it? It seems like this would be more widely reported if it could be verified.
Just because you haven't heard of it on every News outlet, doesn't mean it's not true.

It took me less than a minute of search to find it on CNN, which I'm sure you trust, right?

F-16s scrambled in two flight incidents - CNN.com

Old 09-13-2011, 06:41 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porchpickup View Post
Just because you haven't heard of it on every News outlet, doesn't mean it's not true.

It took me less than a minute of search to find it on CNN, which I'm sure you trust, right?

F-16s scrambled in two flight incidents - CNN.com
I find that the news outlets make it seem more exaggerated. Why would they chose the title "F-16s scrambled to flight incidents" rather than "Suspicious people pluck off airplanes"? I was taught in journalism class that you make headlines that catch people's attention.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 AM

48 posts, read 163,018 times
First let me say I was not there. Here is how it sounds to me
1. It was the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11th airline personnel and law enforcement were on alert.
2. There was in the news previous to this that there were threats. (There is a good chance there were more that DID NOT make the news.)
3. In the news story it says that at least ONE of the three people detained was making lots of trips to the bathroom.
4. The three people had similar characteristics and were sitting together which "might" have meant they were together.

So it sounds like while law enforcement and airline personnel thought they were suspicious it was just a set of circumstances that made it look like they might have been involved in something. If this kind of thing has to happen a couple of times so that we can be safer then I am ok with it.

Profiling has been made a dirty word but without it a lot of police work that the public takes for granted would never be accomplished.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porchpickup View Post
There is a link at the bottom of that page with the source of this "news."

No charges against 3 detained at Detroit airport - Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011 | 4:12 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun (http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/sep/11/us-airline-passengers-detained/ - broken link)

Does that work better for your security settings?

Hope that helped.
Yes. Thankyou!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies