Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So what you're saying is that you get extra services from a credit card company that you don't from an ordinary bank? Wow....next thing you know they'll be suggesting they should charge for those services.....

wait...
Exactly. Yet those who want to use government to reduce rates people voluntarily accepted will probably complain once those extra benefits received from using that credit card are taken away or a monthly fee is charged.

You can't win with folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYanksAreComin View Post
(1) For as long as I can remember, I have not heard anyone in either party discuss the issue of unfair interest rates on credit cards. Anti usury laws are one of the most basic protections, but ours were repealed back in the Carter years because of the super high inflation rates, and we never restored them. Credit card companies are getting people into debt early in life when they are young and stupid and then have them over a barrel for years. Not only is this unfair to the person, but it's horrible for the economy: the economy is driven by consumer spending, and people buried in debt don't go out and spend.
Since you're a Republican, where's the personal responsibilty for people to make their own decisions on accepting a high rate?

I voluntarily accepted a high rate when I was a teenager since I had zero credit. Once I established a history, I got rid of the card and switched to one with a lower rate. This may have been impossible if some govt entity forced low rates on card companies.

Quote:
(2) Currently, CEO's are making what, 400 times the average employee? We've seen cases where people are getting laid off, stock prices are falling, and the board votes to give the CEO several hundred million dollars. Why not have worker representation in corporate boards? And why has this never been suggested by the supposedly fighting for the little guy against Big Business Democrats?
Since you are a Christian per your use of the Bible below, what about the Tenth Commandment? "You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour."

Anyone who claims to be a Christian does not have the Biblical standing to complain about CEO pay. If one is an Athiest or non-Christian this doesn't apply.

I'm fine with worker representation if the company shareholders approve of it.

Quote:
(3) although this is given lip service often, reigning in oil speculators would not be difficult. They currently only have to put 6% down on oil futures, whereas with other commodities it's 50%. Stroke of the pen could change that. Obama could do it tomorrow if he wanted.
Fine, I don't mind everyone playing by the same rules. Or, we could just let the free market determine who should put what down.

Quote:
(4) our family farmers and ranchers are dying out, and our prices for food skyrocketing, at least in part due to anticompetitive behavior from our nation's meat packers. Four firms control almost 90% of the market and based on what I've read they are putting the squeeze on and violating our antitrust laws. And what is Obama doing about it? Helping his corporate cronies finish them off EPA Declares Hay a Pollutant in Effort to Antagonize Small and Mid-Sized U.S. Cattle Feeders
Four firms control 90% of the market because of government involvement in the agricultural industry. Get government out of the way so small farmers can compete.

Quote:
MY fellow Republicans should take the lead on this. Usury is, according to the Bible, a sin. Workers on corporate boards was done by the century's most conservative President Calvin Coolidge while he was Governor of Massachusetts. Oil speculation is feeding the environmentalists nonsense about wind farms. And it was Republican Teddy Roosevelt who first really went after abusive monopolies. None of this would contrast with traditional conservatism, it would however run afoul of the Ayn Rand cultist libertarian nonsense that has griped part of the GOP.
You are asking conservatives to implement big government solutions to these points. That may not mesh with some even though RINOs and social conservatives do tend to go the big govt route for things they like.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:06 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
It's amazing you guys even had to even suggest this.
Our bank gave us their ATM card which also works as a Debit card locally and as a CC for online. It is a ATM / Debit / CC card.

No interest charges, fully-protected / fraud-insured / blah-blah. The only time that it would have any fees or interest would be if we ran over the amount we have on deposit and actually began using the credit feature.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Our bank gave us their ATM card which also works as a Debit card locally and as a CC for online. It is a ATM / Debit / CC card.

No interest charges, fully-protected / fraud-insured / blah-blah. The only time that it would have any fees or interest would be if we ran over the amount we have on deposit and actually began using the credit feature.
Right. I thought this stuff was common knowledge. I can't believe some people don't know that one can use their debit card as a credit card for purchases.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,262 times
Quote:
Exactly. Yet those who want to use government to reduce rates people voluntarily accepted will probably complain once those extra benefits received from using that credit card are taken away or a monthly fee is charged.

You can't win with folks.
And I couldn't care less about that, but I'll be paying that monthly fee too.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Right. I thought this stuff was common knowledge. I can't believe some people don't know that one can use their debit card as a credit card for purchases.
I did not know about it until a year ago.

I had never had an ATM card before. We always had carried CCs [zero-interest if you pay in full every month].

I thought of ATM cards as being finicky. The right network, the right country, etc. CCs were easier regardless of what nation I was in a VISA always worked [not so with MC].

While going through a bankruptcy we had to dump the CCs, that was when we learned more about our bank's ATM card.

So I can see where some folks may not be aware of what is available.

For example take a recent post in this thread about the 'dangers' of using a debit card. No doubt that stuff did apply at one time in history.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,612 times
Never had a credit card, and my plan is to continue never having one.

No credit card means virtually no hassles for me, no debts and interest to be accrued; I just view it as win-win in my personal utility equation. The small hassle that it occasionally causes (almost never - except when I want to order something online on rare occasion) I can make do by just getting one of these new 'prepaid' debit cards. It's not as safe, but that's a very small factor to be weighed for me, since I would never use it for any large amount anyway, nor for any purchase where I was likely to have some big dispute about.

Also won't have a bank account anymore (for multiple reasons that matter to me, including just the general fact that I don't like bureaucracy and busybodies... which banks now are, due to assorted government regulations they must follow with respect to the collection of personal information. I exercise my liberty to take my money elsewhere). No fees, no disputes, no overdraft issues; basically... no hassles, from my perspective.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:43 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,571,571 times
Quote:
(1) For as long as I can remember, I have not heard anyone in either party discuss the issue of unfair interest rates on credit cards. Anti usury laws are one of the most basic protections, but ours were repealed back in the Carter years because of the super high inflation rates, and we never restored them. Credit card companies are getting people into debt early in life when they are young and stupid and then have them over a barrel for years. Not only is this unfair to the person, but it's horrible for the economy: the economy is driven by consumer spending, and people buried in debt don't go out and spend.

(2) Currently, CEO's are making what, 400 times the average employee? We've seen cases where people are getting laid off, stock prices are falling, and the board votes to give the CEO several hundred million dollars. Why not have worker representation in corporate boards? And why has this never been suggested by the supposedly fighting for the little guy against Big Business Democrats?

(3) although this is given lip service often, reigning in oil speculators would not be difficult. They currently only have to put 6% down on oil futures, whereas with other commodities it's 50%. Stroke of the pen could change that. Obama could do it tomorrow if he wanted.

(4) our family farmers and ranchers are dying out, and our prices for food skyrocketing, at least in part due to anticompetitive behavior from our nation's meat packers. Four firms control almost 90% of the market and based on what I've read they are putting the squeeze on and violating our antitrust laws. And what is Obama doing about it? Helping his corporate cronies finish them off EPA Declares Hay a Pollutant in Effort to Antagonize Small and Mid-Sized U.S. Cattle Feeders

MY fellow Republicans should take the lead on this. Usury is, according to the Bible, a sin. Workers on corporate boards was done by the century's most conservative President Calvin Coolidge while he was Governor of Massachusetts. Oil speculation is feeding the environmentalists nonsense about wind farms. And it was Republican Teddy Roosevelt who first really went after abusive monopolies. None of this would contrast with traditional conservatism, it would however run afoul of the Ayn Rand cultist libertarian nonsense that has griped part of the GOP.
Don't ever confuse the GOP with conservativism. A true conservative is very concerned in creating a just and prosperous state. A true conservative wants to lift the living standards of all the people while not penalizing any of the people. A true conservative Like the old bull moose you mentioned is very concerned with conservation and the protection of the nation's resourses. Not just the wholesale exploitation of them. A true conservative is for law and order applied equally to all the people not to just the ones who can afford to buy there way through the justice system. A true conservative is dedicated to the truth and not to lies and misrepresentations. He or she is secure enough in their beliefs that the need to lie and flip flop around is moote to them.

This band of GOPers is nothing more than a pack of political whores that lay down for their masters, the special interests who care not one single whit for the average American. They are consummed by hate and fear that their exalted positions are threatened by any action that will bring relief to the majority of the people. Through their tatics they have brought Amrica down to where it now sits and by their tatics they prevent any reasonable solutions to the problems.

If you doubt that I suggest you take a look at other countries that don't have the disfunctional government the GOP creates in the USA. For example in Canada we have had very leftwing governments and very rightwing governments. We don't have a never ending crisis about what the government of the day is doing. If what they do does not work for the country then they probably won't be the government next election. Case closed. They will do what they think is best for the country while they are in power and that is what they were elected to do. WE don't have umpteen empty shirts screaming nonstop in the media about the sky falling because the government is doing this or that.

WE had our right wing conervative government do a stimulus that per capita was just as big as that in the USA. It created the biggest deficit the country has ever had and these guys were just re elected with a whopping majority. It's a complete nonissue. It seemes to work, kept the wheels of commerce rolling and from a week after it's implementation we never hear about the frigging thing again.

You Americans just keep on beating a dead horse for decades. It's just mind blowing the nonsence that just keeps on going. It's like the ever ready rabbit has gotten hold of the national debate and it just won't stop.

The biggest single difference that keeps Canadian politics sane while American politics are insane is the money. NO special interests can give a red cent to the political process and so therefore they have very little say in anything. In the USA nothing at all ever gets done without the support of one special interest or another. The bad thing is that rarely do the interests of the country and the people line up with the special interests requirements.
I don't know why the American people put up with such an undemocratic situation. It's not a democracy when one billionaire has more political power than millions of citizens.

The recent decision, "Citizens united" must be the absolutely worst case of a supreme court that is in thrall to the special interests against the freedom of the people of the USA. It's right up there with the "Dred Scott" decision in it's ability to destroy the Union.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,613,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

And if it gets stolen someone drains your checking account before you can even call the bank to cancel. I know that they might give you your cash back...but in the meantime you have bounced checks, etc.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
lucknow - Too bad Canada is so damn cold in the winter. You government seems sane by comparison. I guess it is created by keeping the greedsters away from the government money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies