Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:01 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Your husband is mostly right. Look at Tiger Woods. He's only a quarter Black and over half Asian, but people constantly call him Black. The Rock is half Black and though some people consider him Black, he's mostly considered Samoan. What's the difference? The hair. It's not just the skin color. Look at the Rock in the movie, Be Cool.

http://images.art.com/images/product...0/10215582.jpg

If his hair was always like that, then people would just say he was Black. There are plenty of Thais that are as dark or darker than Tiger Woods as well. If he had straight hair then people would just consider him a dark skinned Thai.
Then again, lots of people consider Samoans and other Polynesians Black too..................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 02:05 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Yeah, I know it is correct. I am a black woman with natural nappy hair. I love my hair but I have never been one to care about what others think of me. I am kind of vain I guess in that respect.

But I also know that the majority of black women straighten their hair, mostly now out of tradition but it was instituted in order to try to integrate with white mainstream society.

And really that is the point I was going at and which you never answered my questions. Black people as a group have done pretty much everything that they could to try to integrate. Mainstream society doesn't want to include us and really I could care less as a black person. I speak to people as individuals and I don't lump them all into one group. If that were the case I'd think all white people were pill popping, meth using junkies and poor white trash (I grew up poor and the poorest of my poor neighbors, which included Asians, specifically Vietnamese, were extremely poor white people). I would also think they like to keep junk cars all over their yards. I would think they all like to get drunk and beat their wives/girlfriends and ride motorcycles and scream and yell. This is how most of the white people I grew up around behaved. The poor black people and Hispanics (mostly Mexicans who were 4th-5th generation Mexicans, not new immigrants) and the Asians (who were first generation immigrants) thought very poorly of white people and thought of them as stereotypical hill billy transplants from KY and WV. Black people are not accepted as readily as being American not because some chose to call themselves A-As or because 7% of them are arrested annually (FBI statistics only 7% of the whole population of black Americans were arrested in 2009) or because 24% live in poverty (leaving 76% as middle class and a very small portion as upper class/rich) but because we have nappy hair and darker skin than some and people continue to believe that they are superior to anyone who has any sort of African characteristic and who had an ancestor that was a slave in America.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:10 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Your husband is mostly right. Look at Tiger Woods. He's only a quarter Black and over half Asian, but people constantly call him Black. The Rock is half Black and though some people consider him Black, he's mostly considered Samoan. What's the difference? The hair. It's not just the skin color. Look at the Rock in the movie, Be Cool.

http://images.art.com/images/product...0/10215582.jpg

If his hair was always like that, then people would just say he was Black. There are plenty of Thais that are as dark or darker than Tiger Woods as well. If he had straight hair then people would just consider him a dark skinned Thai.
Tiger Woods hair is not what I really call kinky(aka ''nappy''). His hair texture is same as the Arabs I see at the gas station. Sort of Curly at a certain length but not quite the typical hair texture of the average black person in America. I can actually see the Southeast Asian in Tiger but black and Asian features overlap anyway. A lot of Asians have broad noses.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-15-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 02:13 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't think I "act white." I think I act like someone from Ohio.

What do you think most blacks act like??

I also live in the South and I don't act like Southerners, meaning that I have a different accent, I am used to different amenenities, I am not okay with the heat down here, I use different dialect/language than many native Southerners that I meet.

You stated that black people don't "act like" white people and that Asians and Indians can integrate better in American society because they "act more" like white people. How do you act more like white people? I would like to know since I know a lot of white people and not all of them act alike.

If you mean you share certain goals or educational backgrounds or desires in life, I bet if you share them they are the same as the majority of black people and really you are just buying into the idea that the majority of black people are poor and criminally minded, which is not true.
Black people, in general, are louder and more boisterous than Asians. Asians tend not to seek attention or raise much of a ruckus. This isn't
neccessarily "acting White" but it's what has allowed Asians to successfully integrate into White society. We don't cause much trouble or draw attention to ourselves.

I live in a mixed neighborhood with a lot of Blacks in the area and the constant noise from cars thumping and the noise on the streets from people yelling is not tolerable to most Asians or Whites. I don't really mind, because I grew up in a mixed area and that type of behavior isn't shocking to me, but it is to others.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Black people, in general, are louder and more boisterous than Asians.

I live in a mixed neighborhood with a lot of Blacks in the area and the constant noise from cars thumping and the noise on the streets from people yelling is not tolerable to most Asians or Whites. I don't really mind, because I grew up in a mixed area and that type of behavior isn't shocking to me, but it is to others.
I would agree that black people are louder than Asians. I am loud too. I have a big mouth. But white people are just as loud as black people and plenty of white people play loud music in their homes and cars. I really don't think loud music or yelling is all that shocking to most people. Hispanics and white people and black people are loud.

Personally I feel that the quietness of Asians is actually something that is culturally from Asia and not America. Americans are rather loud.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,807 times
Quote:
I would agree that black people are louder than Asians. I am loud too. I have a big mouth. But white people are just as loud as black people and plenty of white people play loud music in their homes and cars. I really don't think loud music or yelling is all that shocking to most people. Hispanics and white people and black people are loud.

Personally I feel that the quietness of Asians is actually something that is culturally from Asia and not America. Americans are rather loud.
Yeah, Whites and Hispanics are loud too, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. It's not just about noise. Asians tend not to be on people's radar, for good and for bad, so people generally feel neutral about us. And really that's the goal.

I talked to some Indians before and we all agreed that Asians would have never pushed for civil rights because we don't really like to rock the boat. An Indian lady once told me that she sometimes wished she was like Black people so when she didn't get what she wanted she could scream about it and get others to comply. Yeah, I know that sounds like a stereoptype, but it exists for a reason. For good and for bad, Black people tend to rock the boat.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:35 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Yeah, Whites and Hispanics are loud too, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. It's not just about noise. Asians tend not to be on people's radar, for good and for bad, so people generally feel neutral about us. And really that's the goal.

I talked to some Indians before and we all agreed that Asians would have never pushed for civil rights because we don't really like to rock the boat. An Indian lady once told me that she sometimes wished she was like Black people so when she didn't get what she wanted she could scream about it and get others to comply. Yeah, I know that sounds like a stereoptype, but it exists for a reason. For good and for bad, Black people tend to rock the boat.
One thing that I pointed out earlier is that the vast majority of Asians in America would not be here if not for Blacks screaming and fighting for civil rights. You do know that before 1965's Immigration Reform Act, which was part of the black civil rights platform, the vast majority of yearly spots allotted to immigrants went to white Europeans. The Act made it possible for large numbers of Asians and other nonwhites to legally immigrate to America.

This is a fact that I point out with relish anytime I hear immigrants or those whose families came here post-1965 bellyache about black folks.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,054 times
Quote:
What's the difference? The hair. It's not just the skin color. Look at the Rock in the movie, Be Cool.
I agree with you, if it was just the skin color then Vijay Singh would be classified as black, he is darker than most blacks i've seen.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:08 PM

313 posts, read 284,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

Any death is a tragedy. But do you know how many Africans didn't survive the Middle Passage? The number is exponentially greater.

Were Asians brought here against their will? Were they stripped of their language, names and culture?

How do you know that Black slaves were stripped of their language, names and culture when their brethren captured them before they sold them to the White man?

Of the 12 million Blacks who came on the slave ships to the Americas, only 500k came to the USA. Not sure why we get all the flak.

Hell - the British banned the slave trade and enforced it with their navy long before Africans even considered banning things like slavery or embracing democracy, Whites had to force them.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 PM

15,063 posts, read 8,625,891 times
Quote:
This was due to environmental factors and also many believe it is attributed to the breeding of modern homo sapiens with archaic homo sapiens whom were still alive and kicking when modern homo sapiens migrated out of Africa.

I saw a documentary recently about this that was quite interesting. You can read more about it though here.

The isolation of these peoples due to environmental changes, most notably the Ice Age is considered one of the major contributing factors to the distinct regional physical characteristics of modern humans.
Read the information in the link carefully. What you will see is Darwinism at it's full influence, along with the obligatory references to over population and the dreadful impact humans have on the environment.

Mutations and Natural Selection ... the mechanisms for Darwinist "evolution" is the foundation of modern anthropology, yet there are so many problems with the various individual hypotheses regarding racial differences ... nothing seems to explain them adequately.

It wasn't that long ago that modern humans were said to have evolved from the Neanderthal, only to have it discovered that both coexisted simultaneously. That's when more theories emerged such as the "Island Theory", suggesting that one group of Neanderthals became isolated from the rest who evolved into modern humans, while the isolated ones (Sequestered as if on an remote Island free of evolutionary influences) did not evolve. It's a pretty ludicrous theory, given no real mechanism of this ceasing of evolution for the length of time it would require for Neanderthals to evolve into modern humans, but then again, just about everything associated with speciation is nothing more than conjecture based on false assumptions.

I believe there are far different elements and forces at work to explain the different peoples and languages on the planet than the rather antiquated notions of 1800's theories. But that's a separate topic altogether.

More to the overall point of the thread, it's quite natural for people to gravitate toward those they most resemble ... whether that resemblance comes in the form of physical likeness (racial) or behavioral likeness (cultural). As you previously recounted in your own experience, it is more the rule than the exception for people to naturally segregate and collect around those who they share the most commonality, with race being the most obvious differentiation, but not the only one.

The trouble comes into the picture when this natural behavior is labeled as a negative, and artificial actions are engaged to coerce or force people to go against their natural tendencies and behave unnaturally, which is part of the "diversity" training the social engineers want to force down people's throats. This creates animosity and resentment between people when no such negatives would surface if people were left to make their own choices, free of negative labels and coercion.

Take NYC for example. This was one of the primary convergent points for early 20th century immigration to America with a vast array of ethnic cultures arriving for a new life here. And these groups self segregated ... not just by skin color, but by culture ... with the Italians, Irish, Asian etc., all creating their own small enclaves and neighborhoods ... all coexisting with one another, yet also separate and maintaining their own culture, side by side.

Don't tell the Italians that it's wrong to establish "little Italy" ... or tell the Asians it's bigoted of them to have created "Chinatown". The very idea is absurd ... yet that is exactly what the social engineers at the center of this push for "diversity" proclaim. It's a total fraud, and meant to create tension.

Diversity, as in a wide variety of flavors is a great thing ... that's why we love different cuisines and their different tastes and textures. A great plate of spaghetti and meatballs is terrific, as is a wonderful plate of Fried Rice, or Pad Thai ..... but only if they are allowed to be separate and maintain their own unique flavors and identities. Dump all three into a large pot and stir them up ... you'll have taken three delicious dishes and created a nasty mess of them ... all of which are ruined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies