Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Many govt managers get fired, and get that huge severence to leave with. It all depends on what contract is negotiated. If the company or municipality didn't want to pay it, they should have either found someone else, changed the contract, or made sure they picked the right candidate to hire.
I cannot speak for all state government, universities, and the like, but I have never met a federal employee who earns more than $200k per year. Even people who supervise 100s of employees. 90+% earn less than $100k even with PhD and 30-40 years of service, and awards out the wazoo. There is no comparison with the CEO crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Except that the subject of this thread isn't hiring, it is about firing.
Why should someone get rewarded for doing a bad job? If the average person gets fired, s/he isn't even eligible for unemployment, so why should these people, who as you note have so much more responsibility, get rewarded for their ineptitude?
I can understand giving someone a severance package if they are laid off due to company reorganization, merger, etc., but for underperforming to the extent that one is fired?
Please.
its called a contract, and in a contract many things are spelled out, including pay distribution, severance pay, performance bonuses, etc.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:27 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I cannot speak for all state government, universities, and the like, but I have never met a federal employee who earns more than $200k per year. Even people who supervise 100s of employees. 90+% earn less than $100k even with PhD and 30-40 years of service, and awards out the wazoo. There is no comparison with the CEO crowd.
Those people chose to pursue a career in public service. There is no profit motive there - nor should there be. The taxpayers pay their salaries, and their jobs are not reliant on providing a superior product or service - they have no competition. If you can't see the difference, then I don't know what to tell you...

Old 09-14-2011, 10:30 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
You

dang everybody should be so lucky,, and she was bitching all the way to the bank
I'm sure it was in his contract.

BTW, the US senate and congress get the same type of golden parachutes, no matter how badly they screw up this contry, the former members of the US congress and senate reap a fantastic benefits package.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:30 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Corporations have to pay their CEOs billions because then they have the right to blame their failures on the high cost of paying the average American a high (decent) wage.

Then they have the right to blame the high taxes (that they don't pay but hey, it's the principle ) for their failures.

It's their duty to see that the most money goes to the top 2% because how else can you bring the average American to their knees begging for a job at any wage.

How else can you turn the US into a Third World country if the most money isn't going to the few people at the top?

In the 40's and 50's, 60's executives made 30-40% more than the average worker....economy was fine.

NOW the hogs make 400-600% more than the average worker and see how wonderful the economy is? ,,,for the Wealthy....

But there will be the trained sheep who defend their ONLY god , The Wealthy.........while they don't see the boot firmly pressed on their neck...
As paranoid as this sounds, I think from their perspective (the corporate elite), it actually makes a lot sense. If they can break the workers' spirits and pride by disintegrating the middle class, they know they will get them for a fraction of their going rate that have to pay now. Breaking the back of their workers would be a big boon for the corporate raider types who will get great bonuses and retire to the Hamptons with the short term gains. However, over the longer term the erosion of the middle class will undermine the very businesses that screwed their workers. But these visionaries don't give a damn about that. They'll be long gone. This is why groveling before the ruthless corporate class is just not good for America. They are worthy of respect when they earn it by strengthening America and Americans, not leading the race to the bottom.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
First of all, I wasn't talking about federal employees. I'm talking about public sector employees. That includes heads of universities, local governments, etc. And as we all know, "earning" is not what you need to look at with regards to these jobs. You also have to figure in bonuses and benefits.

And really, just because you've "never met" someone, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
whats my point it cant get much clearer... 9 mill for what. these ceos think they are gods gift to mankind..
Private businesses can do what they want.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The right aren't the only ones that adore the wealthy. The slobbering love for hollywood elite, and the eco-nuts like Gore, show the left love their millionaires, too. At least the CEO works for his money.
There it is...The Adoration of the Wealthy Above Any God syndrome.

Sounds like you and Gore should be pals if what you say about him is true!

Ya know LOTS of people WORK for their pay...like actors, union members, auto assemblers....their wages have stagnated or been decreased...executive pay has risen 23%.

TRY just for a brief second to understand that if more of a corporations profits went to the average workers instead of the UNnecessarily bloated pay of executives those workers would have more money to spend on the product that the company makes which makes the company more money. Those workers also have more money to spend on other things that other people make and then the economy gets better.

When most of the money goes to a few individuals it isn't aiding the health of the economy.

Thinking that someone who wears a suit and sits behond a desk is totally responsible for the profits is ridiculous.

As the executives of EXXON, Halliburton and that other criminal company that were at fault for last year's oil spill said, they weren't responsible. So if they're not responsible for such an enormous error and loss why are they solely "responsible" for a company's profits??

Trust me , these slobs will probably get raises as average southern Americans go under from their loss.

Makes YOU happy, right?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:26 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
[Translation] Look away people! Move along, move along...we cannot afford to pay you a living wage, because out taxes are just TOO HIGH, we executives are close to the bone too, I had to sell my 7th Yaht last year, because I only got ten million dollar bonus. What? I only lost $50 million!....If it had not been for the government that is holding us back...!
That makes no sense. Yahoo is a private company. Their board can pay whoever whatever amount of money the want. You don't like it take your investment elsewhere. Why is this so difficult to grasp? I guess when your told to hate corporations common sense goes out the window.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
As paranoid as this sounds, I think from their perspective (the corporate elite), it actually makes a lot sense. If they can break the workers' spirits and pride by disintegrating the middle class, they know they will get them for a fraction of their going rate that have to pay now. Breaking the back of their workers would be a big boon for the corporate raider types who will get great bonuses and retire to the Hamptons with the short term gains. However, over the longer term the erosion of the middle class will undermine the very businesses that screwed their workers. But these visionaries don't give a damn about that. They'll be long gone. This is why groveling before the ruthless corporate class is just not good for America. They are worthy of respect when they earn it by strengthening America and Americans, not leading the race to the bottom.
Do you people even think about the nonsense you post? So these evil private companies want to "break the workers" so they force everybody into poverty so they then can't afford to buy their products and this will somehow make all these evil companies richer when nobody can buy their stocks or products because they are all poor now??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies