Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your position on gay rights
I am a full supporter for all gay rights. 162 50.00%
I support some aspects of gay rights. 37 11.42%
I think that homosexuals and heterosexuals both have equal rights. 91 28.09%
I think that being gay is a sin, and therefore none of them should have rights. 34 10.49%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:59 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,247 times

Advertisements

Marriage is between a man and a woman, period.
I am for nothing less than civil unions with full rights for same-sex couples.

Adoption? Undecided. A child needs a loving family, at the end of the day.
But there's way too much of a push on the "2-mommies / 2 daddies" bit.

No special rights, no AA, no scholarships, no "sensitivity training,"
no hate-crime status (a crime is a crime).

Also, people who beat down churches because they have a problem with the incompatibility
of a homosexual lifestyle and Christianity need to remember this:
(Obviously I'm speaking from the point of view of a Christian person, so if you're a flaming vegan atheist
or the like, just please skip this part instead of getting your blood pressure up)

The church and/or its members may state an opinion. But God loves every one of us.
Homosexuality is a sin, as is premarital sex--for example--depending on the church.
Homosexuals in church are no different from any other sinners in those pews, and their sin is between them and God.
It is not for me to preach to anyone how God feels about any of his children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 02:59 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Equal but no extra. Same sex marriage is extra in my book.
Heterosexual marriage is extra in my book

Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Full equality - if I have the right, then they have the right. Simple.

[/thread]
You do have the right to marry your mother, your brother or your sister, and you cannot marry a man and a woman, or two men, or two women either. So, apparently this so called right to marriage has its limitations, doesn't it. The topic is not so cut and dry as you thought eh?

Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Provide an example of a homosexual not having the same RIGHT as someone heterosexual.
Oh good Lord, this nonsense again.

Here's a good example from current news. I'm sure you've read about James Craig Anderson - the black man in Mississippi who was targeted and killed by a group of white teenagers simply for being black. It turns out he's gay and has had a husband for the last 17 years. His husband of 17 years cannot file a wrongful death lawsuit (or join with Anderson's biological family's suit which has already been filed) because under the law he's not family. Heterosexual spouses have the right to sue for wrongful death, but homosexuals spouses are denied that right under the law.

Here's another one. Heterosexual spouses who employ their spouse have the right to not pay unemployment insurance taxes on those wages. Homosexuals spouses who employ their spouse are denied that right under the law and must pay the tax.

Heterosexual spouses of military members have the right to shop at base commissaries. Homosexual spouses of military members are denied that right under the law.

I can go on and on and on.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:08 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
My position is sympathy, I sympathize with anyone dealing with the mental disorder of homosexuality and feel that we should together help these people live normal lives despite this mental disorder.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:08 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You do have the right to marry your mother, your brother or your sister, and you cannot marry a man and a woman, or two men, or two women either. So, apparently this so called right to marriage has its limitations, doesn't it. The topic is not so cut and dry as you thought eh?
Easily cut and easily dried.

The government should not recognize any marriage

Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,030,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The government should not recognize any marriage
This always cracks me up.
So because of an issue a small minority of people have,
we should throw out the institution of marriage which has been with us for thousands of years?

Talk about an exaggerated sense of self-importance.
Men and women have been married for millennia. And it's going to stay that way.

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
So, the gender you prefer to have orgasms with is now a determining factor in getting preferential admittance to college?

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times
Rights are for individuals not groups. The notion of this groups rights, or that's groups rights is absurd and lumps people into categories and boxes and removes their individuality. I know gay people that believe in and support one man and one woman marriage, are they "less gay" then one who supports gay marriage?

So, I can't answer your poll, as their is no box for, "I support individual rights and do not believe in group rights."

Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh good Lord, this nonsense again.

Here's a good example from current news. I'm sure you've read about James Craig Anderson - the black man in Mississippi who was targeted and killed by a group of white teenagers simply for being black. It turns out he's gay and has had a husband for the last 17 years. His husband of 17 years cannot file a wrongful death lawsuit (or join with Anderson's biological family's suit which has already been filed) because under the law he's not family. Heterosexual spouses have the right to sue for wrongful death, but homosexuals spouses are denied that right under the law.

Here's another one. Heterosexual spouses who employ their spouse have the right to not pay unemployment insurance taxes on those wages. Homosexuals spouses who employ their spouse are denied that right under the law and must pay the tax.

Heterosexual spouses of military members have the right to shop at base commissaries. Homosexual spouses of military members are denied that right under the law.

I can go on and on and on.
All of that deals with SPOUSES, and having a SPOUSE is NOT a right..

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies