Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Where is this lie coming from? If nothing was changed for the next 20 years, Social Security could pay out 100 percent of benefits until 2037 and 77 percent of benefits thereafter. .
bull

the government SPENT the 'trust fund'
the last two years ss has PAIDOUT more than it brought in

and NOW we are BROKE (I would hope you heard of the 16trillion dollar DEBT)

the ONLY way to 'payout" till 2037 is MORE DEBT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
bull

the government SPENT the 'trust fund'
the last two years ss has PAIDOUT more than it brought in

and NOW we are BROKE (I would hope you heard of the 16trillion dollar DEBT)

the ONLY way to 'payout" till 2037 is MORE DEBT
The government did not spend the trust fund. The trust fund is held in special interest U.S. security treasury bonds, which are backed by the full faith of the U.S. government the same as a dollar bill is. To question the existence of the trust fund is to question the entire monetary system as we know it. (I realize that some, such as Ron Paul, do this.) What would you like the trust fund to be held as? Gold, I presume? So U.S. dollars are "worthless"? If you feel this way, send all of your U.S. dollars to me.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
The government did not spend the trust fund. The trust fund is held in special interest U.S. security treasury bonds, which are backed by the full faith of the U.S. government the same as a dollar bill is. To question the existence of the trust fund is to question the entire monetary system as we know it. (I realize that some, such as Ron Paul, do this.) What would you like the trust fund to be held as? Gold, I presume? So U.S. dollars are "worthless"? If you feel this way, send all of your U.S. dollars to me.
Wait...you have had faith in the US Monetary system after we went off the Gold Standard?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Wait...you have had faith in the US Monetary system after we went off the Gold Standard?
You don't? Great -- send me all of your dollars please. Hell, I'll even come collect them from you to save you the gold dust you'll have to exchange for postage.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You don't? Great -- send me all of your dollars please. Hell, I'll even come collect them from you to save you the gold dust you'll have to exchange for postage.
This is the most inane comment I have read in a long time.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
oh please...an IOU is not money..

the Social Security “trust fund” is invested in special government bonds issued by the federal government. Principal and interest on these bonds must be repaid by future generations, according to law. The bonds in the Social Security trust fund are counted both as an asset of the trust fund and as a liability, since they are part of the total federal debt. Basically, one hand of the government owes the other hand, and the investments in the “trust fund” are not separate from the entity that sponsors the trust fund.

The Social Security trust fund idea gave us the illusion that we were advance funding Social Security benefits, in a manner similar to the private pension system.

The debate on the Social Security trust fund is really a distraction from the real debate, which is how much can we and our children afford to pay, considering all the taxes we currently pay? When does the total federal debt get too big, including the part of the federal debt that represents the Social Security trust fund?

When you think about it, the real Social Security trust fund is the trust that our children and grandchildren will be willing and able to pay all their taxes, including FICA taxes, and that they will be willing and able to pay interest and principal on all the federal debt, including the special government bonds in the Social Security trust fund.

Quote:
special interest U.S. security treasury bonds, which are backed by the full faith of the U.S. government
and I believe that as much as clinton/newt has a surplus.....NOT

what surplus

Fiscal
Year........ YearEnding.... ..National Debt.......... Deficit

FY1994.... 09/30/1994.... $4.192749 trillion.... $281.26 billion
FY1995.... 09/29/1995.... $4.973982 trillion.... $281.23 billion
FY1996.... 09/30/1996.... $5.224810 trillion.... $250.83 billion
FY1997.... 09/30/1997.... $5.413146 trillion.... $188.34 billion
FY1998.... 09/30/1998.... $5.526193 trillion.... $113.05 billion
FY1999.... 09/30/1999.... $5.656270 trillion.... $130.08 billion
FY2000.... 09/29/2000.... $5.674178 trillion.... $17.91 billion
FY2001.... 09/28/2001.... $5.807463 trillion.... $133.29 billion

so here is the question

IF there was a surplus.for 2-3-4 years...........why did the DEBT go from 3.9 trillion to 5.80 trillion????????????????????????

--------------

fact there never was a surplus......

if there was a surplus where did the money go...because the debt was NEVER paid

the NATIONAL DEBT INCREASED every year

if there was a surplus, then there should have been NO INCREASE IN DEBT for the year.....there was....

fact clinton/newt had near PROJECTED budget surpluses...but that doesnt count the OFF BUDGET costs

fact because of off budget spending there NEVER was a surplus

an example

you earn(takehome) 60k...you BUDGET 57k...wow you have a PROJECTED surplus of 3k.....during the year your transmission goes down...2k....your need a new washer/dryer...2k...you choose to get a big screan tv..1k.....now your PROJECTED surplus of 3k has turned into a DEFICIT of 2k because you spend 5k that was not on the original budget

sorry. but liberals are just dumb

Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is the most inane comment I have read in a long time.
Uh huh, so inane you have no logical retort to it. If you don't believe in the U.S. monetary system, then you should not believe your dollars are worth anything. However, I somehow doubt you use them to wipe your butt or mouth the same you would any other paper.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:16 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Uh huh, so inane you have no logical retort to it. If you don't believe in the U.S. monetary system, then you should not believe your dollars are worth anything. However, I somehow doubt you use them to wipe your butt or mouth the same you would any other paper.
It doesn't matter if YOU the purchaser believes the $ is worth anything, its all about the folks that are willing to accept it in exchange for goods/services. They are the ones that value it enough to trade their goods or labor for it.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I do not have faith in the long term viability of the US monetary system. That is not to say dollars are not worth anything. How the hell did you make that jump?

The US monetary system is a train barreling across the country at 300mph. I have absolute faith it can get me from New York to California, I just know it will not stop when it hits the ocean, so at a certain point I need to jump off. The train isn't worthless, it simply isn't a sustainable method of transportation long term.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
no-one said the dollar was worth NOTHING...but it SURE DOESNT buy what it USED TOO

used to buy a house for 5k...now its 500k...what changed...not the house

Last edited by workingclasshero; 09-15-2011 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies