Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 09:37 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Uh-oh. Just like some celebrity asleep at the wheel when it comes to getting a web domain name, President Obama apparently didn't act fast enough and someone else claimed the name "American Jobs Act" for their bill.

"In Congress this week, there's an unmissable undertone of disinterest in passing the American Jobs Act announced by the president one week ago. Most of the dismissiveness appears in the form of non-answers and non-committal talk about whether the bill should pass as-is. The White House has released the text of what it wants, but no bill's been introduced yet, as gripes get heard out. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Tex., just did his griping colleagues one better, by introducing another bill called the American Jobs Act of 2011."

Louie Gohmert Pranks Obama With His Own "American Jobs Act"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Short and sweet. Too bad people don't understand that corporate taxes are a hidden tax that is paid by consumers. Why you buy a McDonalds hamburger, you are paying their corporate taxes.

But, corporate taxes make politicians look good (make the pay their "fair share")so they will never go away.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:29 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Short and sweet. Too bad people don't understand that corporate taxes are a hidden tax that is paid by consumers. Why you buy a McDonalds hamburger, you are paying their corporate taxes.

But, corporate taxes make politicians look good (make the pay their "fair share")so they will never go away.
That's not necessarily true at all; you're just making an assumption.

If there is still a profit margin, then whatever costs that are passed on to the consumer have to be accepted by the consumers themselves. Just ask Net Flicks how passing the costs along to their customers has worked out for them.

The economy is sometimes complex, but more often than not, fairly simple. It comes down to supply and demand. I'm amazed at how many conservatives who claim to understand economics fail to realize this.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Uh-oh. Just like some celebrity asleep at the wheel when it comes to getting a web domain name, President Obama apparently didn't act fast enough and someone else claimed the name "American Jobs Act" for their bill.

"In Congress this week, there's an unmissable undertone of disinterest in passing the American Jobs Act announced by the president one week ago. Most of the dismissiveness appears in the form of non-answers and non-committal talk about whether the bill should pass as-is. The White House has released the text of what it wants, but no bill's been introduced yet, as gripes get heard out. Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Tex., just did his griping colleagues one better, by introducing another bill called the American Jobs Act of 2011."

Louie Gohmert Pranks Obama With His Own "American Jobs Act"
Apparently Rep. Gohmert was not alone. The article was obviously wrong when it stated "no bill's been introduced yet."
Senator Reid has already introduced the legislation President Obama is proposing, two days ago. Rep. Gohmert appears to be a johnny-come-lately.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
That's not necessarily true at all; you're just making an assumption.

If there is still a profit margin, then whatever costs that are passed on to the consumer have to be accepted by the consumers themselves. Just ask Net Flicks how passing the costs along to their customers has worked out for them.

The economy is sometimes complex, but more often than not, fairly simple. It comes down to supply and demand. I'm amazed at how many conservatives who claim to understand economics fail to realize this.

I understand perfectly well how prices are set. If you raise taxes on all of the competitors in a market, they will raise prices. Taxes are just like any other expense, except that you cannot control it. Obviously, there are exceptions, particularly on a short term. But long term, taxes have a direct impact on prices.

I've been involved with setting prices at my company for 15 years and can assure you that every cost and price model has taxes in it.

I'm amazed how many liberals who claim to understand economics fail to realize this.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:08 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I understand perfectly well how prices are set. If you raise taxes on all of the competitors in a market, they will raise prices. Taxes are just like any other expense, except that you cannot control it. Obviously, there are exceptions, particularly on a short term. But long term, taxes have a direct impact on prices.

I've been involved with setting prices at my company for 15 years and can assure you that every cost and price model has taxes in it.

I'm amazed how many liberals who claim to understand economics fail to realize this.
Taxes are factored into the profit margin, yes, so in a sense, they can be passed along to the consumer. But the rise and fall of prices ultimately has more to do with supply and demand. It's possible to cut taxes and have customers pay more for a product due to rising demand, and it's entirely possible to raise taxes and have consumers pay less due to falling demand. Businesses that just tack on taxes expecting the consumer to just pay them anytime there's a hike on corporate taxes are going to be in for a rude surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies