Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,670,949 times

Advertisements

The South is an icy parking lot: Blame game starts as forecasters and politicians fight over who is at fault after thousands were stuck in cars for days and 15,000 children forced to sleep in schools

I guess its Al Gore's fault. He predicted global warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Those idiots running New Orleans ignored the pre Katrina NWS dire warnings too.

Maybe the people should focus on electing competent people to local government.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times
I believe I saw and heard about the weather pattern going into the deep south 24 hrs before it hit……………….

Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
And where does personal responsibility come into all of this?

I don't live in Atlanta but I am a Southerner by birth and I know full well what happens when roads in ATL get icy. No way I would have been out -- I have seen photos of trucks "jack knifed" on ATL highways too many times in the last 35 years. I know what happens.

I lived in the midwest where they have all the proper equipment to daily take care of whatever is dumped and frozen on streets, sidewalks and parking lots. Everyone in this country knows that Southern cities don't invest in that equipment.

So why anyone would be so ignorant as to get themselves in the position to be stuck in traffic . . . I have no clue. Really. I felt bad for folks . . . and I worried about Emergency Vehicles. . .

Here in Charlotte where I live, I see the same attitude from newcomers who have never seen what happens when ice covers our streets. They think Southerners are ignorant fools for calling off school over an inch of snow. Well, they get out in their cars and guess what? They can't get home, they wreck, then end up in a ditch, sliding all over the neighborhood.

People don't take preparation seriously.

And yes, as far as Katrina, I remember full well that meterologists were literally PLEADING 24 hours ahead for people to evac NOLA. I remember commenting to my husband - are these people just STUPID or what? Everyone knows NOLA is a "bath tub" and people will drown if they stay there with this monster storm bearing down on them.

I think people have lost sight of personal responsibility. You don't have to wait for someone in government to give you a solution or issue a warning . . . use your head and think for yourself and take action to protect yourself and your family.

Better safe than sorry.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
The snow wasn't that bad in Atlanta, only 2 inches... it was caused mostly by bad drivers... how do you get mitigate bad drivers in rare snow events? They mentioned public metro system... but who is going to pay? Will people in Atlanta pay higher taxes for THEIR own metro system? Looking at the population, I highly doubt it... of course, we could behave like liberals and tax the rest of the state for Atlanta's benefit...

Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The South is an icy parking lot: Blame game starts as forecasters and politicians fight over who is at fault after thousands were stuck in cars for days and 15,000 children forced to sleep in schools

I guess its Al Gore's fault. He predicted global warming.
Somehow the lefties will blame bush, global warming and the tea party

Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,856 times
Aww...southerners have no idea how to deal with snow and ice. They're like puppies in their first snow fall. That's adorable.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Aww...southerners have no idea how to deal with snow and ice. They're like puppies in their first snow fall. That's adorable.
Haha, yeah no kidding. I heard about this storm hitting them a day or two before it actually happened so they can't use the excuse that there wasn't any warning.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
They knew it was coming and didn't call school off.
They watched it get worse and didn't end the school day early.

Who is at fault ?
Each and every school superintendent who makes the decision about school.

Here in Texas our school calendars have "snow days" built in.

Last week the schools closed on Friday.
The calls started going out Thursday night.
It started as a 2 hour delay but as the forecast got more dire (freezing rain/ice) it changed to "closed".

Tuesday morning the calls went out with a 2 hour delay.
The forecast as of Monday night didn't have ice but changed overnight and ice hit Tuesday morning.

Black ice is not the same as snow.

The south does not have the equipment to clear every single road.

It took me over 1 hour to make a 15 minute drive.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
I bet they aren't laughing at the preppers now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies