Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times

Advertisements

My polling places (yes I said places - the location changes depending on what type of election it is which drives me crazy I believe that they change the location to give an advantage to the incumbent)..

My polling places are usually staffed by 6 hard of hearing/visually impaired septuagenarians (who are usually eager to help).

Nobody asks for ID.

They check your name on a list and cross it out, and you sign your name next to your address.

There are no police.

They do void ballots and put them in the (auto-feed) ballot box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,837,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Oh I see. That one security procedure would make it totally secure? Interesting
Apparently you don't see since I didn't say that, I simply said that adding an ID requirement would give our elections a great level of security, great compared to what we have now. Why do Democrats fight any effort to create voter ID requirements even when the legislation includes provisions for free IDs for people who can't afford them?

Democrats cry and whine about losing elections and automatically blame fraud for any election they lose but they turn around and fight anything that would help secure those elections.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:13 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
I live in New York State, where the new voting procedure has apparently been devised by someone taking serious amounts of hard drugs. First you fill out a paper form. Then you scan it. Then you submit the paper form. There are so many openings for fraud (if not outright hanky-panky), security at the polling place isn't even worth considering!

Old 09-15-2011, 12:22 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I live in New York State, where the new voting procedure has apparently been devised by someone taking serious amounts of hard drugs. First you fill out a paper form. Then you scan it. Then you submit the paper form. There are so many openings for fraud (if not outright hanky-panky), security at the polling place isn't even worth considering!
I walk up and tell them my name and they ask me which one (funny thing is I am both (ie robert and bob))

Old 09-16-2011, 07:29 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times
They have a row of tables with signs for each district. Each table has two blue-hair ladies, one is the 'worker' the other is an 'observer'.

You wait behind a line until your district/town's table has no voter being checked. Only voter is allowed at the table at a time.

You approach your district/town's table, if the blue-hair lady does not know you she will ask for ID. She flips her book to your last name's letter, finds your name and crosses you off. My last name starts with 'Y', there are only two of us in my town with 'Y' [me and my Dw].

She then sends you to another table, where another blue-hair hands you a paper ballot, and directs you to a booth.

You step into a booth, and mark your choices.

Coming out of the booth, you approach a table with wooden ballot boxes. Each district/town's ballot had different colors on it [like maybe a blue stripe across the top], each district/town's ballot box looks different too [like a matching blue stripe]. Two blue-hairs observe and direct you toward the appropriate ballot box for your ballot to go into. [Ballots with a blue stripe go into the blue box, green striped ballots go into the green box, etc.] You slip your ballot into your district/town's box.

One of those blue-hairs will hand you one 'I voted' sticker.

Walking toward the exit you pass by a series of tables with petitions. Different organizations all have petitions laid out and an 'activitist' to talk to about each petition.

Last year we had one Police Officer walk into a ballot place, the 'warden' in charge refused him. Said that firearms were not allowed. [That warden was a guy who was not a native here, he had recently moved here from a big city].

The Police Officer radioed his dispatcher and waited. Soon a TV news crew, the County Elections Commissioner, and ALL Law Enforcement personnel from every agency in the county; all showed up at that balloting place. The Police Officer was interviewed by the TV news crew, and then a long line of armed Law Enforcement officers all went in to vote. The Elections Commissioner went in, he fired that warden and appointed another to take his place.

It was a big deal in the newspaper the next day

Old 09-16-2011, 07:41 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
If we did not have an adequate supply of blue-hairs (my wife is an election official and qualifies) we could not have elections at all.

I wait in an alphabetically determined line until the list checker is available (blue hair) and then state my name and address. Anyone can ask me to prove that I am who I claim to be. They check off my name and hand me an appropriate ballot. I mark the ballot with an indelible marker and take it to an electronic counting and storage machine. The results are available immediately with hard copy available in the event of a recount.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:49 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
After reading through some of these postings, doesn't it make you wonder how elections are held at all? We may be looking at something miraculous here.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:57 AM

23,839 posts, read 14,963,353 times
In Texas, one gives their voter certificate to the blue haired lady. She checks to see if you are on her list, some have a book full of names, some a computer. If you are on the list, you are directed to a machine. If you are not on the list, you go the provisional route.
Voter registration cards are sent out every 2 years. If you are no longer at that address, the voter registrar depends on the mailman to return the card to them. I have seen addresses with 4 families registered at one address.
No one checks to see if anybody registers in 2 or more places.It is possible. I also know a man who lived in California but worked in Texas a couple of days a month. He registered to vote using the office address. He voted in Texas and California.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:29 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,292,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
None of those?? Then what security measures do you have?
IT security police?

Does Dibold?

Press Release: SEC Charges Diebold and Former Executives With Accounting Fraud; 2010-93; June 2, 2010

Old 09-16-2011, 03:35 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,382,788 times
Hey, wait just a gol'dang minute there, MMMJV. Why you asking so many security questions about voting places? Huh? Who you workin' for? Planning on infiltrating the least secure precincts? The *** is up! We're on to you now.

jk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies