Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,600,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Does anyone under 40 with a brain actually believe Social Security will be available when they retire?

Social Security IS a ponzi scheme.
It currently has enough money to pay out 100 percent of benefits until 2037 and 77 percent of benefits thereafter, so I think it's good. (It can be fixed to pay out 100 percent of benefits for the foreseeable future with some relatively minor tweaks.)

Have you actually done some real research on this topic? Or just listened to someone spouting off some Republic rhetoric. I'm 35, and I assumed it wouldn't be there for me until I actually researched the matter and saw the actuary tables. It will be there unless the Republics find a way to steal it -- which they probably won't. Some Americans are suckers, but not enough of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,426,521 times
Yes, since we got off the gold standard, it has been a Ponzi Scheme.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,916,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
It currently has enough money to pay out 100 percent of benefits until 2037 and 77 percent of benefits thereafter, so I think it's good. (It can be fixed to pay out 100 percent of benefits for the foreseeable future with some relatively minor tweaks.)

Have you actually done some real research on this topic? Or just listened to someone spouting off some Republic rhetoric. I'm 35, and I assumed it wouldn't be there for me until I actually researched the matter and saw the actuary tables. It will be there unless the Republics find a way to steal it -- which they probably won't. Some Americans are suckers, but not enough of them.
Your research obviously didn't take into account the FACT that Social Security payroll deductions are thrown into the general fund and used to pay things like Obamacare.

Oh, and do you have any guesses as to which party was the first to raid the Social Security trust fund? Hint: It wasn't the Republicans.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, since we got off the gold standard, it has been a Ponzi Scheme.
I'm glad you say this. Those who think the Social Security trust fund is "worthless" and doesn't exist should also think that U.S. dollars are "worthless" too. I can see why those who question the entire modern monetary system think Social Security is a scam. However, those who believe their dollars are still worth something should recognize what all nonbiased sources tell them. There is a $2.5 trillion dollar trust fund, which will enable Social Security to remain solvent long after the baby boomers, the X-ers and Y-ers are dead. Since there are more Y-ers than X-ers, when we X-ers are old, there will again be a greater worker-to-beneficiary ratio.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,172,905 times
Quote:

Do you mean the unfunded liability in perpetuity is $17.5 trillion that SS currently has?

Or the fact that Social Security Disability is set to run dry in 2017 without congressional intervention?

Have YOU done any real research on this topic?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Your research obviously didn't take into account the FACT that Social Security payroll deductions are thrown into the general fund and used to pay things like Obamacare.

Oh, and do you have any guesses as to which party was the first to raid the Social Security trust fund? Hint: It wasn't the Republicans.
Do you have a credible source for this? Hint: you don't because the money paid into Social Security goes toward the purchase of special interest U.S. treasury bills.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Do you mean the unfunded liability in perpetuity is $17.5 trillion that SS currently has?

Or the fact that Social Security Disability is set to run dry in 2017 without congressional intervention?

Have YOU done any real research on this topic?
The $17.5 trillion unfunded liability is in reference to Medicare. Medicare is a whole nother ball of wax. Health care costs are skyrocketing, and we're all in some real trouble unless we can figure out some ways to bring them back from the stratosphere.

As far as SSDI, you are also correct. I should be specific. I am talking about the Social Security retirement benefits and program.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,172,905 times
Quote:
The $17.5 trillion unfunded liability is in reference to Medicare. Medicare is a whole nother ball of wax. Health care costs are skyrocketing, and we're all in some real trouble unless we can figure out some ways to bring them back from the stratosphere.

As far as SSDI, you are also correct. I should be specific. I am talking about the Social Security retirement benefits and program.
No, it is referring to SSI.

The problem is that the government is counting notes against the treasury fund as assets. That is the same as me writing an IOU to myself, then claiming I have that cash. You cannot count money borrowed against yourself as a funded asset.

SSI has over $17 trillion in unfunded liabilities when analyzed against the real assets in the system.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,387,121 times
Your bank account balance is represented by numbers which "virtually" exist.

You can exchange those virtual numbers for currency any time you want, or you can virtually make transactions without touching money.

Isn't it great!!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:19 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
Op can't even get the Ron Paul speech right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies