Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
My husband, (a Marine) actually teared up very slightly when he saw what we are speaking of on the news.
He didnt say a word, neither did I, but he drew himself up into attention stance, and saluted silently.
High praise from my man.
That's outstanding, kshe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
I am aware you didnt say that, and the latter part of your statement is well....just silly.
Better to have no more wars, dont you think?
it was actually sarcasm. (but not directed at you, just the inanity of these skirmishes or whatever they call them now/engagements/kinetic actions, whatever).

maybe we are actually really on the same page of no more wars.

your husband could do a lot of good here, i bet.

OUR country could sure use a few heroes.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
I get the feeling the OP is cowering in a corner somewhere.
Also makes me wonder if he is gonna hold the record for the ignore list.
Doubt he's cowering in a corner. That would require a set of values, some basic human decency, and a sense of guilt. After having read this thread I'm thinking none of those qualities are present in the OP.

It's a crying shame that good men die so those that are so devoid of character as to demean their sacrifices to push their personal agendas have the freedom to start threads like this.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It seems that the military industrial complex has ordered Pres. Obama to bestow yet another Medal of Honor on a living recipient in what seems to be a more aggressive campaign at getting Americans interested in a 10 year long war that many have long ago tuned out.

Hope their marketing campaign works out for them. I doubt it will ultimately make distracted Americans interested in this futile and costly war.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/us...-of-honor.html
It must really suck

being you.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:55 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it was actually sarcasm. (but not directed at you, just the inanity of these skirmishes or whatever they call them now/engagements/kinetic actions, whatever).

maybe we are actually really on the same page of no more wars.

your husband could do a lot of good here, i bet.

OUR country could sure use a few heroes.
I should have detected the sarcasm, my bad.
I did mean it about no more wars......wont let the hubs on here because he would have a two-headed heifer, and would probably be banned in no time.
Believe it or not, I am a lot more tactful than him.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Doubt he's cowering in a corner. That would require a set of values, some basic human decency, and a sense of guilt. After having read this thread I'm thinking none of those qualities are present in the OP.

It's a crying shame that good men die so those that are so devoid of character as to demean their sacrifices to push their personal agendas have the freedom to start threads like this.
People like that make a mockery of the 1st Amendment.
One can only wonder what the Founding Fathers would have to say.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 09-15-2011 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
I should have detected the sarcasm, my bad.
I did mean it about no more wars......wont let the hubs on here because he would have a two-headed heifer, and would probably be banned in no time.
Believe it or not, I am a lot more tactful than him.
I'm sure I'll be. Shoulda said, "glutious maximi" to be necessarily PC.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i see the piling on and acknowledge that the OP is being somewhat combative, but i do understand the sentiment. sure, heroism deserves to be rewarded and awarding medals makes the war seem "heroic" --but where were the rewards and recognition for the soldiers that he could not rescue?

those men paid a greater price and you have to ask 1) what about their medals, 2) was it worth it.

the rest of the time ALL these men/women slog around risking their lives in these backward countries ---with virtually no media coverage and NO declaration of war. is that okay with everyone?

it is disingenuous for some to compare this war to any other war, because you just can't lump wars together. soldiers didn't die previously so we would be fighting in these pathetic half-assed non-declared skirmishes which are KILLING our soldiers, and civilians.

we can't forget the civilians dying or we would be no better than those who don't care about our civilian deaths on 9-11.
Thank you for this rare interjection of common sense.

Imagine the firestorm a politician would face if they called for a referendum on the insanity of this war, and how it is cynically played by politicians.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It seems that the military industrial complex has ordered Pres. Obama to bestow yet another Medal of Honor on a living recipient in what seems to be a more aggressive campaign at getting Americans interested in a 10 year long war that many have long ago tuned out.

Hope their marketing campaign works out for them. I doubt it will ultimately make distracted Americans interested in this futile and costly war.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/us...-of-honor.html
As I heard what he has done:I see no politics about it at all. if I where obama I would have been thinking what truman told one;I'd rather have one of these than be president. God bless our troops.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I've got to give the OP credit. Creating the most despicable thread on CD is no small accomplishment.

Welcome to ignore odanny.
The pleasure is all mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies